Prescription 3D glasses - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What 3d system is used in cinema which you watch 3d films in?
RealD or MasterImage (Circularly polarised glasses) 1 50.00%
IMax 3D (Linear Polarised glasses) 0 0%
Infitec or Dolby 3D (using interference filter glasses) 1 50.00%
XPAND 3D (Active LED shutter glasses) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Don't know 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I wear glasses and we find wearing two pairs of glasses whilst watching 3d content unfomfortable. What are your experiences. We decided to start a company - Optics 3d Ltd - www.optics3d.co.uk - to provide a solution to this problem. We are planning to release 3d glasses which have an option insert which house prescription lenses. The 3d lenses will be interchangeable so that the one set will work with Reald, Imax 3d and hopefully Dolby 3D. The frames will probably be based Dixons RX 2 system. I have questions:

What do you all think of this plan?
The only other company who currently do prescription 3d glasses are Rx 3D Optics (www.rx3doptics.com), a small Canadian company. Are there any others?
Does anyone know where I can get the chromatic material used in Dolby 3d glasses?

I also have a short survey I would like to invite you all to complete - http://freeonlinesurveys.com/renders...uhmn6y1d901999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Liked: 12
How about glasses for home - RF/IR/DLP Link glasses ? That is what I want - since that is what I use most often. Glasses in theatres is such a small % of 3D viewing - I don't really care.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #3 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Liked: 44
3D Glasses - CinePro(TM) Circular Polarized Clip-On for Disney Digital & RealD Movies - High Quality - 1 Pair

http://www.amazon.com/3D-Glasses-Cir.../dp/B004AHH6LU
post #4 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

That is somethink I would eventually like to do, it is just a bit more complicated. Also, some companies do do prescription active 3D glasses already, such as Samsung and Rx3dOptics.

I do already have a pair of clip-ons. They're alright except I find the that I can see the clip and I find it abit distracting. Also, they don't look particularly attractive.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM

I am torn here. I ordered 2 pairs of the clip on glasses, as the plastic ones really hurt my nose. If the clips don't help, then I may look into a more permanent option.

But the price would not only have to be right, it would have to be really, really, really cheap. I'm talking no more than $50ish.

Maybe that's too low below cost, but spending any more is a hard price to stomach..
post #6 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

3D Glasses - CinePro(TM) Circular Polarized Clip-On for Disney Digital & RealD Movies - High Quality - 1 Pair

http://www.amazon.com/3D-Glasses-Cir.../dp/B004AHH6LU

This is exactly what I was thinking...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

This is what I want - but for active glasses

Ofcourse, it would need real miniaturization of needed circuitry & power source.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #8 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM

I am surprised no one has come up with this yet?

Please come out with something. It is annoying to play games or watch movies and get my prescription glasses and then the 3D glasses all the time.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

I have a new survey regarding some prototype prescription 3D glasses. As an incentive we are giving away one pair of our multi 3D glasses with a complete set of lenses so the glasses will be useable for RealD, Imax 3D, Dolby 3D and sunglasses.
Click here http://freeonlinesurveys.com/renders...s0pm3fu1015178 to complete the survey or go to www.optics3d.co.uk and click on the link.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Just as an update - these glasses are now available from amazon.co.uk. Either go to amazon.co.uk and search 'prescription 3d glasses optics 3d', or go to www.optics3d.co.uk where you will find links to the products on amazon. Unfortunately, due to limitations of the amazon system, glasses are only available with unglazed inserts. If you buy these you will have to take them to your local optician for glazing. Alternatively, in a few weeks time they will become available from optics3d with glazed inserts made to your prescription. I have placed pictures of them below. The one on the left is the single system lower cost glasses, branded RxMono3D. They cost £25.95 with an unglazed inserts and are available for RealD/MasterImage 3D/passive 3DTVs. Imax 3D and sunglasses will become available soon. These are, as far as I know, the lowest cost prescription 3D glasses available anywhere. The other glasses are more upmarket that have interchangeable polarisers and are sold under the brand name of RxMulti3D. Polarisers are available for RealD/ MasterImage 3D/passive 3DTVs, Imax 3D and sunglasses. They are available with one set of polarisers for £75.95 or £95.95 with a complete set. All these glasses are available without the insert for £6 less.

£25.95 £75.95 £95.95

I hope this helps.

Dr Colin Pratt
post #11 of 26 Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Will these be available in the USA?
post #12 of 26 Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

As far as I know can order them now from Amazon.co.uk - we do do shipping to the US. When our website is up and running I believe we will accept US$ as well as £ and € (we are paying somkeone else to develop our website). You will be able to order prescription lenses too from our website once it is up and running.

I hope this answers you question satisfactorily.

Colin
post #13 of 26 Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Another update:- the 3D glasses mentioned above are now available with prescription lenses from Optics 3D's website - www.optics3d.co.uk. They can be paid for in Pounds Sterling, Dollars and Euros. We have glasses for RealD/MasterImage 3D/passive 3DTVs and Imax 3D. There are two designs which I have already mentioned above. The prices are as follows:

.............................................................................................................Price
Product....................................................................Pounds Sterling.........Dollars...........Euros
RxMono3D glasses............................................................£19.95..............$26.19...........€23.16
RxMulti3D glasses.............................................................£59.95..............$65.57...........€58.00
RxMulti3D glasses with polariser collection.............................£79.95..............$104.95.........€92.83
Prescription lenses...........................................................£30.00..............$39.38...........€34.83

Notes: 1 The prices in pounds sterling and Euros include VAT, whereas those in Dollars do not.
2. To get prescription 3D glasses you need to add the prescription lenses, which are held in an insert which clips into inside of the glasses.
3. The polariser collection includes polarisers for RealD/MasterImage 3D/passive 3DTVs, Imax 3D (both 0°/90° and 45°/135°) and sunglasses.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the info and saw your site.

What prescription glasses do I need for a Mistubishi WD92842?
It uses bluetooth3d Glasses. Do you cary or make prescription glasses for Bluetooth that would work on my TV?

Thanks
post #15 of 26 Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Not yet. This is something we are going to look into in the second half of this year. At the moment we only support passive 3DTVs.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 130
It's pretty easy to adapt a set of polar lenses to prescription glasses. You can use the clip-ons and just remove the filters and glue them to your regular Rx glasses. I would suggest you get a second pair of non-glare glasses set up for the distance you normally view your passive TV.

If you have active 3D TV then the process is a bit more complicated. But, I worked with a local Optician from Lens Crafters here in town and developed a pair of Rx active glasses for my wife and she just loves them vs. wearing two pairs of glasses.

After a number of failed attempts we found that mounting the lenses made to frame size inside a pair of Sony Active glasses was the best way. We had to locate a set of Lens Crafters frames so the Optician could make the lenses using their programmed equipment. Now the shape of each lens could be done and the Lens Crafters frames were returned to their display. The Rx lens was mounted inside the shutter glasses and held in place with some silicone rubber cement. To avoid glare between the shutter glasses and the Rx lenses, buy their non-glare coated option.

Don Landis
post #17 of 26 Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

It's pretty easy to adapt a set of polar lenses to prescription glasses. You can use the clip-ons and just remove the filters and glue them to your regular Rx glasses. I would suggest you get a second pair of non-glare glasses set up for the distance you normally view your passive TV.

If you have active 3D TV then the process is a bit more complicated. But, I worked with a local Optician from Lens Crafters here in town and developed a pair of Rx active glasses for my wife and she just loves them vs. wearing two pairs of glasses.

After a number of failed attempts we found that mounting the lenses made to frame size inside a pair of Sony Active glasses was the best way. We had to locate a set of Lens Crafters frames so the Optician could make the lenses using their programmed equipment. Now the shape of each lens could be done and the Lens Crafters frames were returned to their display. The Rx lens was mounted inside the shutter glasses and held in place with some silicone rubber cement. To avoid glare between the shutter glasses and the Rx lenses, buy their non-glare coated option.

I know this thread is a little old but I thought I would revive it. I took Don's informative post and tried it as well. I took a pair of 3Active glasses to my local optometrist who has an optician on staff. We found a pair of glasses that fit the shape of the 3d lenses. They checked the pupillary distances, etc while wearing the 3d glasses and were able to fit the lenses inside the frame using double sided sticky tape. He suggested this vs glue so that I would be able to swap out lenses at a later time with a different prescription. He also suggested a polycarbonate lens so that the lens would be thinner and not brush up against my eyelashes due to the lenses sitting closer to my face than the actual 3d lenses. He also said AR was not necessary but that he could apply them later if I found any unwanted reflections. Luckily after testing them I noticed none so all is good. Total cost was $120 for the lenses. I'll post pics later since I'm at work right now.
This was a great thread! I've been so tired of wearing my glasses underneath my 3d glasses and trying to use headphones so that I don't wake up the kids!

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
post #18 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Here are the pics

And from the front

post #19 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

Here are the pics

And from the front

You said you used double side tape. Where did you tape the lenses at or from? I can't tell from the pics.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM

They used film double sided tape that was cut to the width of the lenses at the top,bottom and nose bridge side of the lens. It is very neat and you have to look really hard to see the tape.

post #21 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
He also said AR was not necessary but that he could apply them later if I found any unwanted reflections.

Our first attempt did show a double ghost like reflection which is why we ended up with the anti glare polycarbonate ( lighter weight) Due to the curvature of the Rx, the lenses do not mate flat against the inside of the LCD glass and this is why I think the reflections between the two occur. If you can get away with simple glare type plastic the cost will be much less. I recall they wanted an additional $60 for anti glare.

When I did my tests, I used double stick tape too but wanted something more permanent like the silicone glue.

Did your optician optimize the lenses for the normal viewing distance to your screen?

Don Landis
post #22 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM

My optician fitted the lenses like normal glasses. How do you optomize glasses for normal. TV viewing distances?

post #23 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

When they set up the machine they cut the lens for close as in "reading glasses" distance or "distant" for normal viewing. Today some will specify for computer screen which is a bit farther than reading distance. When the subject came up I told the optician we want the distance to be between 8 and 20 feet which are the two rows of home theater seating distance. She dialed in the machine for that range of viewing.

It must work because my wife says the screen is not in focus if she is 5 ft in front of it or 30 ft away in the next room.

Don Landis
post #24 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM

I see what you mean. So far my distance and reading prescription is the same.

post #25 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Lucky you!

Hey, I'm glad you found an optician who was willing to work with you.

I do think these Rx solutions are a bit complicated to get done. Hopefully, more Rx glasses companies will recognize the opportunity and make an actual product. When I began my quest to do this all we got were rejections and "no, that isn't possible responses."

Many years ago I went through the same rejections in making Rx prescription scuba diving masks. Then I got an optician as a scuba student in my basic scuba class and we talked. ( I used to be a YMCA and PADI scuba instructor) After we developed the process of laminating the lenses he made, he began doing it as a business and did thousands with a simple ad in the diving publications. The correction for underwater was actually a bit more complicated.

Don Landis
post #26 of 26 Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page