Can someone explain me the difference between 3D Blu Rays and Blu Rays (players)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what in the hell does a 3D Blu Ray player do? I don't get it, I thought there were specific 3D movies like Avatar, etc, and I thought if the HDTV is 3D then you could watch it in any blu ray player.

I have a 3D HDTV so I don't know if I need a 3D blu ray player, or if I can get any regular blu ray and enjoy the 3D movies at their max glory in my TV, can someone please explain the difference between them, I really don't get it, the only possibility I see is if the 3D blu ray player made every movie 3D which I don't think so.

Also how about the 3D HDTV + 3D Blu Ray = (3D)^2!!! isn't that like a redundancy or something like that, WTF...
I don't get what the 3D players do that the regular don't. And it bugs me because there was a sale of a Sony blu ray player (no 3d) that came with the Star Wars saga, and I wanted it but since it wasn't 3D and I didn't knew better I didn't got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Sorry, but 3D BluRay movies will only play 3D on a 3D BluRay player. A regular non-3D BluRay player cannot play in 3D. In summary, you need all 3 (a 3D disc, a 3D player, and a 3D TV) to watch in 3D. (Although you can convert a 2D disc to semi-3D with a 3D player paired with a 3D TV.)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Plus you need high speed HDMI cable (1.4a) in order to pass the 3D video from source to 3D HDTV.

You also need 3D glasses!
post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanElite_MX View Post

So what in the hell does a 3D Blu Ray player do? I don't get it, I thought there were specific 3D movies like Avatar, etc, and I thought if the HDTV is 3D then you could watch it in any blu ray player.

I have a 3D HDTV so I don't know if I need a 3D blu ray player, or if I can get any regular blu ray and enjoy the 3D movies at their max glory in my TV, can someone please explain the difference between them, I really don't get it, the only possibility I see is if the 3D blu ray player made every movie 3D which I don't think so.

Also how about the 3D HDTV + 3D Blu Ray = (3D)^2!!! isn't that like a redundancy or something like that, WTF...
I don't get what the 3D players do that the regular don't. And it bugs me because there was a sale of a Sony blu ray player (no 3d) that came with the Star Wars saga, and I wanted it but since it wasn't 3D and I didn't knew better I didn't got it.

For a stand alone 3D Blu-Ray Player is required to view 3D Blu-Ray Discs. If the Blu-Ray player is made for Personal Computers Blu-Ray Reader/Writers 2x or higher can be used to play 3D Blu-Ray Discs according to Nvidia Forums.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone else getting a headache reading the OP?

post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Try the FAQ for the 3D HTPC thread in the AVS Forum.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As far as the Blu-Ray player is concerned, 3D capability is just a minor firmware change. There's no hardware difference in the disc, the player, or the HDMI interface to the TV. It's a good money-making opportunity for the manufacturers.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

As far as the Blu-Ray player is concerned, 3D capability is just a minor firmware change. There's no hardware difference in the disc, the player, or the HDMI interface to the TV. It's a good money-making opportunity for the manufacturers.

A 3D BD player has a 2X speed drive while regular BD players only have a 1X speed drive.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page