Best 2D to 3D conversion software? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What's the best 2D to 3D conversion software?
3Dfier 0 0%
Avisynth script 0 0%
Movavi 0 0%
PowerDVD 11 0 0%
TotalMedia Theatre 5 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the best 2D to 3D conversion software out there?

I've been testing PowerDVD 11 versus TotalMedia Theatre 5 today and I *think* PowerDVD 11 is better at it. I tested both with action movies and cartoons (all in .avi since I don't really plan to use Blu-Ray). That said, I'm a bit confused because in many places online they say TMT5 is better than PowerDVD.

One thing to keep in mind is that I've been testing them on a 24" non-3D monitor with cyan-red glasses (anaglyph mode). I won't be getting my Optoma GT720 with ZD101 DSP Link glasses until next weekend.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

PS: Is there a way to edit the poll? I'd like to add Axara and DVDFab but I can't seem to find a way todo it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

I think I've narrowed it down to TriDef 5 vs. PowerDVD 11. Has anyone compared them with respect to 2D-to-3D conversion?

Thanks
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

Anyone?

I think I've narrowed it down to TriDef 5 vs. PowerDVD 11. Has anyone compared them with respect to 2D-to-3D conversion?

Thanks

From what I've gathered about this forum is that *most* people here do not like 3D conversion software or 2D to 3D converters and generally refer to it as "fake 3D". (Newsflash - it's all fake 3D, i.e. an illusion) They either tend not to answer questions about this software or got something snippy to say about it. Now this doesn't pertain to all forum dwellers but there are a few here that turn their nose up to this stuff.

I personally use Movavi's 3D converter. I also use the built in converter in my Avermedia 3D HDMI capture card as well for converting live video via SAT to 3D, but I guess this is more hardware conversion than software. My vote is on Movavi and I didn't really care for PDVD11's converter or TMT5's. Never used TriDef as I'm an Nvidia guy.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

From what I've gathered about this forum is that *most* people here do not like 3D conversion software or 2D to 3D converters and generally refer to it as "fake 3D". (Newsflash - it's all fake 3D, i.e. an illusion) They either tend not to answer questions about this software or got something snippy to say about it. Now this doesn't pertain to all forum dwellers but there are a few here that turn their nose up to this stuff.

I personally use Movavi's 3D converter. I also use the built in converter in my Avermedia 3D HDMI capture card as well for converting live video via SAT to 3D, but I guess this is more hardware conversion than software. My vote is on Movavi and I didn't really care for PDVD11's converter or TMT5's. Never used TriDef as I'm an Nvidia guy.

Thanks for your helpful comments. I guess I'll have to look into Movavi as well
post #5 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

From what I've gathered about this forum is that *most* people here do not like 3D conversion software or 2D to 3D converters and generally refer to it as "fake 3D". (Newsflash - it's all fake 3D, i.e. an illusion)

Oh, they're similar in that they're both trying to make a flat screen look like it has layers of depth, but the quality and believability of native far exceeds realtime conversion. Even $10M dollar postconversions look far inferior, what with their topographical and occlusion errors. This is all aside from the fact that artistic preparations can propel one native 3D film far above other native 3D, and infinitely beyond what realtime postconversion can do.

Quote:
I personally use Movavi's 3D converter.

Sample side by side Left/Right Eye screenshots of a Movavi converted video:

For those looking on, yes, those frames are intentionally out of sync; Movavi did it. That's all Movavi does.

Maybe we have a Movavi spokesperson on this forum who could chime in. But as far as I know, they are content with their product's output and have no plans to improve it to compete with even the lower-ranking in-TV converters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #6 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM

I have tried several different convertor and none can come close tho the the built in convertor in a LG
3 D tv . It clearley has 3 different levels of depth control. Which software convertors on have control over
The Depth of the picture. But this cannot be saved as a file . It is for viewing only. LG has A Sport , Reg,
extreme, Cinama {which I think is the best} and Manual about twenty different setings.
Jc63857
post #7 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 11
So.... when you convert 2D video to 3D video and watch it with glass, does the video perform you the 3-D sense?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Yes it has the effect of 3 D, But with mistakes like ,Mountians look at a distence but the snow line and rock are not right, and a portrait ,or a picture is also in 3 d , in other words its not a s good as a movie shot in 3 D . I dont think it will ever be as good as what can be achieved with a 3 D camera. Although Titanic was made with software and it is really good .
jc63857
post #9 of 12 Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The best 2D to 3D converter is your brain. It's free, doesn't require glasses, guesses depth with the most accuracy, and is compatible with every 2D source out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #10 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 AM

Best I remember LG uses software made by DDD, the same company that makes triDef. I have never used that particular software but I understand that it is about the best on the market. I personally use Power DVD, I kind of like all the other garbage that comes in the software pack and it does remarkably well at converting 2d to 3d all things considered.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have an LG LM7600; the 2D>3D converter is one of the better ones out there but it still makes a lot of mistakes. It often uses colors as depth cues, pushing reds forward for example, and that can often yield to bizarre imagery. Also, like all 2D>3D converters, while it can often mimic depth into the screen, it is incapable of creating 3D pop-out effects.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I use Tridef and PowerDVD12. Tridef is good. PowerDVD12 is better.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page