Cheaper alternative to Optoma 3DXL for HD66 and other DLP projectors - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Shutter glasses work with 120hz not 60hz. I have dlp-link glasses and they will work at 120hz only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis3845 View Post

This could be possible, but I've spoken with 3 other hd66 and 3d creator owners who have no problem with their 3d set up so I'm confused.

It could be firmware rev related too. I am just throwing out ideas.
post #63 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

It could be firmware rev related too. I am just throwing out ideas.

I thought about that when I talked to optoma and they told me that firmware was not a possiblity that all hd66's made were 3d enabled and they just need a 120hz signal to get to the 3d menu. I don't know I can't explain it and guess I'll know something when paperchaser hooks his 3d-xl up soon if it works then the monoprice does not put out 120hz.
post #64 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought about that when I talked to optoma and they told me that firmware was not a possiblity that all hd66's made were 3d enabled and they just need a 120hz signal to get to the 3d menu. I don't know I can't explain it and guess I'll know something when paperchaser hooks his 3d-xl up soon if it works then the monoprice does not put out 120hz.

Yeah but if the converter doesn't see the correct HDMI handshake it may not turn on 120hz.
post #65 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Wow...that is weird. I glanced thru the hd66 manual and it seemed that there was a setting on the display menu to allow 3D. I thought this was available when displaying a 2d source. Sorry if I was wrong.

Sailn...
post #66 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM

lewis3845, have you tried swapping out cables? I really want the monoprice unit to work with the HD66 alone. I have zero interest on the 3d-XL as I only play material from my wdtv.
post #67 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I was a couple hours too late ordering and could not get it here this weekend. Just checked tracking and it will be here monday. Ive taken Tiesday off from work to get it sorted...if I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Yeah but if the converter doesn't see the correct HDMI handshake it may not turn on 120hz.

yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post

lewis3845, have you tried swapping out cables? I really want the monoprice unit to work with the HD66 alone. I have zero interest on the 3d-XL as I only play material from my wdtv.

I actually had a couple sets of cables ordered to try out. 1.4 & 1.3...no difference

Right now im thinking that every other 3D projector will work with the Monoprice...cept for the HD66
post #68 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

yes I have tried different cables,shorter cables,and I even bought 2 new hdmi 1.4 3d certified hdmi cables and it made no difference.
post #69 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn View Post

Wow...that is weird. I glanced thru the hd66 manual and it seemed that there was a setting on the display menu to allow 3D. I thought this was available when displaying a 2d source. Sorry if I was wrong.

There is a 3d menu at all times on the hd66, but it stays (greyed out)unselectable until it receives a 120hz source. I think I will post a video so people understand whats going on.
post #70 of 152 Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM

I have an Acer h5360. 3d is available for selection at all times. I have another converter similar to the monoprice and it works great. Especially with dlp shutter glasses.
post #71 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrugenus View Post

I have an Acer h5360. 3d is available for selection at all times. I have another converter similar to the monoprice and it works great. Especially with dlp shutter glasses.

This is what I said also in the monoprice thread. There should not be any precondition for putting the HD66 in 3D mode. This sounds like a firmware issue that needs updating.
post #72 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

This is what I said also in the monoprice thread. There should not be any precondition for putting the HD66 in 3D mode. This sounds like a firmware issue that needs updating.

My hd66 is only 2 months old and I think paperchaser's is newer so they should have newer firmware on it but I don't know there's no way to tell with the hd66 what firmware is on it. Optoma told me this is the way they were engineered for 3d menu to be available only at 120hz and I really don't know if the monoprice puts out 120hz the monoprice tech told me it's only 60hz so I don't know who is wrong.
post #73 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM

I'd rather have the quality of frame packed 3d with the 3d-xl over the 3d creators sbs anyways.
post #74 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd rather have the quality of frame packed 3d with the 3d-xl over the 3d creators sbs anyways.

The point is that both should work with the HD66. I can run either frame packed in my vip displayer or SBS in the monoprice with my acer. Why are then some saying their HD66's work with the monoprice? Did Optoma make a firmware change that doesn't see the monoprice in newer pj's? This doesn't make any sense though about the 120 Hz/60Hz. Tgher are 2 conditions 120 Hz is available from the monoprice. Using 3D dlp setting and the 2D to 3D dlp setting.
post #75 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't get 3D with the XL then you'll know the projector is at fault.

Its strange you get an image with the monoprice converter set to dlp link mode but its not 120hz. That doesn't make sense to me.
post #76 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Guys, I'd ask if you can select the two 3d menu options (one for 3d, the other to invert sync) with a just a regular source component plugged into HDMI or component (ie no 3d processor of any kind monoprice or Optoma).
After last nights feature, I decided to fiddle with the settings on my projector (WDTV connected via HDMI, Cable box connected via component and dvd connected via s-video). I have no monoprice or 3d-xl.
The 3d options on my projector (HD66 refurb) are NOT greyed out. I can access them and toggle them. When I toggle the 3d option on, the projector loses sync for 2 seconds (blue screen) then resyncs with the 3d option set back to off.
Is this what you guys are seeing or are your two 3D options ACTUALLY GREYED OUT and inaccessable? If so, then I think your firmware may not actually be updated. I believe I read somwhere ( the long hd66 thread? ) that these projecctors originally shipped without 3d capabilities and that some early adopters had to actually ship their units back for the firmware update to enable 3d. As mine is a recently purchased Factory refurb, I am quite sure that I have the proper update.
Hope this helps getting to the bottom of this.
post #77 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:

There is a 3d menu at all times on the hd66, but it stays (greyed out)unselectable until it receives a 120hz source. I think I will post a video so people understand whats going on.

Hi Lewis3845,
I hope this works on the HD66 as it works on my HD65 to enable 3D. Before selecting any modes on Monoprice, enable projector's 3D option on "Display" menu; select dlp-link; then select Mode 2 (3D Program to 3D-DLP projector), play a 3D side-by-side mkv file and the 2 halves is merged into one displayed movie. You can calibrate color, contrast, etc on menu which shows 3D/DLP-link enabled. I don't have dlp-link glasses so unable to tell picture quality.
post #78 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Guys, I'd ask if you can select the two 3d menu options (one for 3d, the other to invert sync) with a just a regular source component plugged into HDMI or component (ie no 3d processor of any kind monoprice or Optoma).
After last nights feature, I decided to fiddle with the settings on my projector (WDTV connected via HDMI, Cable box connected via component and dvd connected via s-video). I have no monoprice or 3d-xl.
The 3d options on my projector (HD66 refurb) are NOT greyed out. I can access them and toggle them. When I toggle the 3d option on, the projector loses sync for 2 seconds (blue screen) then resyncs with the 3d option set back to off.
Is this what you guys are seeing or are your two 3D options ACTUALLY GREYED OUT and inaccessable? If so, then I think your firmware may not actually be updated. I believe I read somwhere ( the long hd66 thread? ) that these projecctors originally shipped without 3d capabilities and that some early adopters had to actually ship their units back for the firmware update to enable 3d. As mine is a recently purchased Factory refurb, I am quite sure that I have the proper update.

The issue when the hd66 first came out wasn't with the lack of 3d options but they didn't ship with the update for use with Nvidia 3d vision. Alot of people had to ship theirs back to get this update. I also am interested to see how this thread pans out. I have had my hd66 for around a year and love it.

I get all my 3d needs from my htpc upstairs which I ran hdmi keystone panel to my theater room and then control my htpc from a virtual desktop on my android. Works a treat. But would be really happy if I could find a way to do some 3d gaming on the ps3/xbox without spending the cash on a 3dxl.

So I am interest to see how this 100 dollar adapter works out.
post #79 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

WESTMONK, That is more or less to procedure on the H5360.

Sailn...
post #80 of 152 Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn View Post

WESTMONK, That is more or less to procedure on the H5360.

That's how I got HD65 enabled. When I select any modes on the Monoprice first, the projector's DLP-Link doesn't work.
post #81 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the clarification rastie - didn't mean to further cloudy the issue with misinformation, I just remember reading something about 3d and early units having to be sent back.
@ lewis3845 and paperchaser, I am still curious about what you guys mean by [i]greyed out [i] menu options. I read that to mean as it would mean under windows where options in a drop down are sometimes grey, italicized and unclickable. As I said in my earlier post, this is not the case on my unit. Without any 3D hardware in the chain, I can click both the 3D option and the invert sync option and bring up a further menu on both with two options ( on/off? I can't rember now offhand). Making a selection here does make some change as the projector loses sync for a second or two before reverting right back.
I am just trying to ascertain whether or not your projectors are acting differently from mine. If they act the same under these conditions, then I am out of the 3D game untill I can find a way to ship a unit to Canada that I can try hassle free.....
post #82 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:

The 3d option is still grayed out unavailable even if I remove the 3d creator and just use the bluray player. The earlier units that had to be shipped back for firmware upgreade was for the nvidia 3d vision fix.
post #83 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification rastie - didn't mean to further cloudy the issue with misinformation, I just remember reading something about 3d and early units having to be sent back.
@ lewis3845 and paperchaser, I am still curious about what you guys mean by [i]greyed out [i] menu options. I read that to mean as it would mean under windows where options in a drop down are sometimes grey, italicized and unclickable. As I said in my earlier post, this is not the case on my unit. Without any 3D hardware in the chain, I can click both the 3D option and the invert sync option and bring up a further menu on both with two options ( on/off? I can't rember now offhand). Making a selection here does make some change as the projector loses sync for a second or two before reverting right back.
I am just trying to ascertain whether or not your projectors are acting differently from mine. If they act the same under these conditions, then I am out of the 3D game untill I can find a way to ship a unit to Canada that I can try hassle free.....

By meaning grayed out I'm talking about I can see the options in the display menu 3d,invert but I cannot select them they are gray and the other menu items are white and I can select them fine but I cannot even go to it with the arrow on the remote because it's unselectable.
post #84 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 AM

My hd66 is factory recertified 2 months old and I believe paperchasers unit is brand new so I would think we would have new firmware on them, but who knows.
post #85 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:

The 3d option is still grayed out unavailable even if I remove the 3d creator and just use the bluray player. The earlier units that had to be shipped back for firmware upgreade was for the nvidia 3d vision fix.

So there is definately a difference in the firmware between your unit and mine. This would account for the different experiences with these device pairings. I don't know which one is later. If it's the one in your unit, then I strongly suspect that they've crippled these later projectors to only work with their box.

That just plain sucks...

Now I am back on the bandwagon regarding the monoprice unit.
post #86 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:

So there is definately a difference in the firmware between your unit and mine. This would account for the different experiences with these device pairings. I don't know which one is later. If it's the one in your unit, then I strongly suspect that they've crippled these later projectors to only work with their box.

That just plain sucks...

Now I am back on the bandwagon regarding the monoprice unit.

this is what I believe they want you to buy the 3d-xl which is better but I would be nice to have the other option.
post #87 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmonk View Post

Hi Lewis3845,
I hope this works on the HD66 as it works on my HD65 to enable 3D. Before selecting any modes on Monoprice, enable projector's 3D option on "Display" menu; select dlp-link; then select Mode 2 (3D Program to 3D-DLP projector), play a 3D side-by-side mkv file and the 2 halves is merged into one displayed movie. You can calibrate color, contrast, etc on menu which shows 3D/DLP-link enabled. I don't have dlp-link glasses so unable to tell picture quality.

This does not work because I cannot select 3d at all in the menu I think my hd66 must get the 120hz signal first so they crippled these projectors with the latest firware only to work with their box because that's what optoma tech told me 120hz first then 3d menu is selectable.
post #88 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Boy! Glad I ended up with the Acer. I almost bought the hd66 but found better prices on the h5360 at the time I purchased. If that is true that they are blocking the use of other converters that is pretty bad. I bet its just a firmware issue though.
post #89 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM

We'll know today when paperchaser get his 3d-xl hooked up if it works then I believe they did this so you have to buy the 3d-xl. I do not think this by accident but by design. My hd66 is under warranty ,but I don't think even if I sent it back they would put older firmware on it anyways.
post #90 of 152 Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:

this is what I believe they want you to buy the 3d-xl which is better but I would be nice to have the other option.

Exactly, CHOICE is key. I have no need for the more expensive 3d-XL because I really have no intention of buying a 3D blueray player. Which is clearly the intended usage in this setup. I really can't see me watching much 3D material at all.

What I want is something that will breathe new life into a handfull of animated 2D titles that my kids watch via DVD or the odd HD mkv file that I play directly from my wdtv. For this purpose, the monoprice unit is clearly the better option because of feature set ( 2d to 3d conversion, conversion of various 3D formats to one playable on the hd66) and price (wife factor, cheapo index) .
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
View Sonic 3d Hd Video Processor Vp3d1 , Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector , Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Optoma Hd66 Dlp 3d Ready Home Theater Projector , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Player Dmp Bdt210 , Optoma
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page