Cheaper alternative to Optoma 3DXL for HD66 and other DLP projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 152 Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Optoma 3DXL is not the only way to play 3D bluray movies on the Optoma HD66 3D ready projector or probably other 3D ready DLP projectors requiring a frame sequential 120 HZ input. There is indeed a cheaper way. The monoprice 3D creator ($100.00 at monoprice.com) can be used as the convertor and does the job of the Optoma 3DXL when used with the Panasonic BDT110 or BDT210 bluray player ( $139 for the BDT 110 at Futureshop, or $179 for the BDT210 that has added wifi and a neet optical sensor). These bluray players are the only ones that I could find that also offer other output formats aside from the standard frame packed format that the HD66 does not recognize, but that include side by side and checkerboard formats. The Panasonic unit allows you to reset the output format to SBS via screen driven menus. If you don't already have a 3D bluray player then you can turn your living room into a 3D cinema for the cost of a low cost but very high quality bluray player with just $100.00 needed to buy the 3D creator unit.

The monoprice 3D creator unit is a neat little 2d to 3D converter that can be hooked directly to the Optoma HD66 and does a great job converting 2D DVDs and Blurays to 3D. I wrote another thread about this with my experience on the forum. The great thing though is that the monoprice unit also does a great job converting 3D side by side formats into the 3D format recognizable by the Optoma HD66. The result is that you can play 3D bluray movies on the your Optoma HD66 without the need for the 3DXL.

I hooked the Panasonic BDT 210 directly to my monoprice 3D creator via HDMI and then into may Optoma HD66. In the main setup menu I set the bluray output to SBS, HDMI settings to 1080P ( important since the monoprice unit cannot work with interlaced formats i.e. 1080i ). Under the 3D program heading on the monoprice unit that has 2 options, I set this to 3D-DLP. When the movie begins there may be two side by side pictures showing until you hit play - The two units will then communicate and you will get full 3D. The only downside is that the 3D depth and leaping adjustment menus cannot be used in the Panasonic unit in SBS format but I found that they are not needed. The 3D quality is great - hi def, with no ghosting. I should note that I had a 3DXL unit but I returned it since the 3D quality using this set-up was virtually identical.

The Panasonic bluray BDT 110,210 players also do 2D to 3D conversion but I found that the simulated 2D to 3D quality with the Panasonic BDT210 and 3D creator was excellent and at 1080P ( I actually like it better for some movies ). In this case I just played a regular 2D bluray on the Panasonic player but this time with the 3D creator unit set to 3D-DLP under the 2D program heading.

I use Optoma ZD101 DLP link glasses as I have found that these are the best with great clarity, battery life and no syncing issues unless the screen is too bright white. The DLP glasses sync via a sensor in the front to white flashes between left eye and right eye images on the screen. The glasses sync to the screen so no emitter is required. The HD66 projector menu setting should be set to 3D. I always toggle the sync invert setting back and forth to see which setting gives the strongest 3D depth effect as I find that this can vary by the movie.

I am not trashing Optoma here as I own two Optoma projectors and when it is time to upgrade again I will not even consider another brand. From the threads though it just seemed like people thought that the 3DXL was the only way to go to use a bluray player with a 3D DLP ready projector like the Optoma HD66 and I just wanted to share another method that I have used.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is really boring trying to select the right devices to get 3d with DLP-link pjs. Your choice is really sensible. I wonder if there is or will be any hd media player support frame sequential 120 HZ output. It would really solve our problems.
post #3 of 152 Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Doesn't sound like it works with Direct TV 3D?

It (The direct TV reciever) has to see a compatible / licensed device on HDMI before you get the 3D channels on your guide.
post #4 of 152 Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Hi PM,

I just replaced my old Infocus X1 with an Optoma HD66 and am totally digging the increased resolution and colour accuracy.
In researching this projector on the forum, I can't ignore the fact that, for many users, the 3d capabilities are a major draw for this projector. To be honest, it was not that much of a draw for me as I generally regard 3D as a bit of a gimmick which I only feel necessary on animated titles. To be even more honest, it was cost prohibitive for me as well.
After reading your posts, I am starting to get the 3D itch.... especially because the monoprice unit seems more versatile and affordable than the official optoma product.

According to one of the reviews on the monoprice site, the unit only converts 2D material into red/cyan analglyph 3D. Is this true? This would be a deal killer for me as I have absolutely no interest in watching movies with distorted colours. I think my perception of 3D as a gimmick comes from those '80s special TV broadcasts which required cardboard glasses bought at the corner store. They looked horrible.

How are the dlp link glasses? I have no problem with them making the image darker as the HD66 puts out more lumens than I need in my painted black theater. Colour fidelity is more important. Not that I am hard to please, but as I mentioned, looking through coloured lenses is unacceptable to me. Is it fair to say that the dlp link glasses produce an image closer to the polarized lenses used in a commercial theater?

From your mentioning of Futureshop, I assume you're up here in the Great (not so) White North. Did you have any issues with ordering from monoprice? I am pretty sure I've ordered from them years ago but I can't remember if this was one of the company's I had issues with which made me decide to only order Canadian some years back.

Also, has anyone tested Monoprice's "no hassle, no restocking fee, 30 day moneyback guarantee". I am not the kinda guy that generally buys things to tryout and then return. In fact, I'm usually the kinda guy who buys, finds out that I have no need for and then doesn't bother returning. Times have changed... the wife can only take so much and, being related to me, my kids will definately need dental work.
post #5 of 152 Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
I have the hd66 and monoprice also,but don't have it working yet. The monoprice unit can take 2d material and convert it to 3d -dlp and you can use your dlp link glasses to view or you can use the 2d to 2dtv and use the red/cyan glasses that suck, but I played a side by side 3d movie and used the red/cyan glasses and the 3d was awesome just like the movie theater with stuff popping out of the screen.
post #6 of 152 Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Does anyone know if either of these glasses would work with the HD66 / 3d creator combo?
If so, I may bite given monoprice's return policy.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10909
post #7 of 152 Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post

Does anyone know if either of these glasses would work with the HD66 / 3d creator combo?
If so, I may bite given monoprice's return policy.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10909

Those are infrared glasses, those need an emitter and you can't use them because the hd66 or 3d creator does not have an emitter port. You need to buy dlp-link glasses,they sync up by white flashes on the screen you can't see and you don't need an emitter for them. You would have to turn on the 3d dlp link in the hd66 menu when it gets the 120hz signal from the 3d creator.
post #8 of 152 Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the clarification! I thought it might be too good to be true- finding one place that would allow me to order and return with minimal hastle if it didn't work in my setup.
Let us know how it goes in your sytem once you get it working.

For me, I'm looking to feed the unit 2d animated sources from my kids DVD collection and maybe the odd new title that I think will benefit from 3D "enhancement" from my WDTV. In both cases, I would rather watch straight 2d than look through Red/Cyan glasses. I have no desire or need to buy a standalone Blueray player let alone a 3d capable one. On the surface, the Monoprice 3d creator seems a better fit for me than the Optoma device. I just need to be able to justify the added cost. Which I'm sure I'll be able to if the price suddenly drops or I buy on a late night impulse like I did with the H66 . That turned out OK.
post #9 of 152 Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Ok still trying to do this on the cheap...
What do you guys think of the monoprice unit and these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pairs-3D-R...item4aad6ab8b7

Also, the monoprice unit costs $24 to ship to Canada???? Anyone have a workaround?
post #10 of 152 Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pairs-3D-R...item4aad6ab8b7

Also, the monoprice unit costs $24 to ship to Canada???? Anyone have a workaround?

I just bought a pair of those for $40 ,but haven't had a chance to use them yet because my projector or 3d creator is messed up.They look nice and have a rubber nose piece and a power button also used for switching left and right eye. I've seen 4 pairs for low as $170 on amazon.
post #11 of 152 Old 12-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I just got a pair of those as well for my HD66. I also ordered this little unit

I havent had a chance to hook it up but the specs read like the Monoprice unit.

I guess I'll make a thread detailing my findings later today
post #12 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 AM

How about the Viewsonic VP3D1. I got it for about $250. I have the Acer 5360 which is quite similar to the 66. I've had it for 6 months. No troubles at all. Even does SBS. Just as good as the 3Dxl but no er emitter plug in. Just fantastic DLP link.
post #13 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post

How about the Viewsonic VP3D1. I got it for about $250. I have the Acer 5360 which is quite similar to the 66. I've had it for 6 months. No troubles at all. Even does SBS. Just as good as the 3Dxl but no er emitter plug in. Just fantastic DLP link.

$250 with no glasses you can buy the 3d-xl for $280 with a pair of glasses.
post #14 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Ya,I know that the 3dXL is cheaper now but not last April. Prices have a tendacy to drop don't they.
post #15 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperchaser View Post

Do you have a link for this product? How does it compare to the monoprice unit -specs and pricing?
post #16 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis3845 View Post

I have the hd66 and monoprice also,but don't have it working yet. The monoprice unit can take 2d material and convert it to 3d -dlp and you can use your dlp link glasses to view or you can use the 2d to 2dtv and use the red/cyan glasses that suck, but I played a side by side 3d movie and used the red/cyan glasses and the 3d was awesome just like the movie theater with stuff popping out of the screen.

Hi Lewis3845,
Did you play a side-by-side 3d movie using the red/cyan glasses on a 2dtv or the hd66? I've the monoprice unit but haven't ordered dlp-link glasses yet.
post #17 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Do you have a link for this product? How does it compare to the monoprice unit -specs and pricing?

Amazon.

No, I havent tried to use the red/blue 3D function yet.

I dont know much about either unit...but it seems like this one has a couple more bells n whistles than the mono price.

that being said, I'm having troubles with it, but i suspect its the format that my PS3 uses.

Today Im going to BestBuy to purchase a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 or the DMP-BDT110 to duplicate the original posters setup.

Will report back later tonight
post #18 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 02:40 PM

In researching how to cheaply add 3d to my home theater, I am getting totally confused between formats and hardware.
If I am understanding things correctly, you have the same projector as me (optoma hd66). If so, I don't think you will be able to get this AdapSonic (amazon) unit to work as, according to it's posted specs, it outputs only 60hz. The HD66 has a toggle for 3D that I believe can only be toggled on when it receives a 120hz signal which I believe the monoprice unit does.
Do you see a setting on this unit for 120hz?
I am interested in a unit that can take a standard 2d HD MKV file played from my WDTV and project a 3d image that can be watched on my projector using a glasses technology that does not screw up the colours (ie something other than analglypgh (shutter, DLP Link?)
post #19 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Hold the phone!!! After considering my last post further, I am wondering....Does the monoprice unit convert 60HZ signals to 120HZ or does the original signal have to be at that refresh rate?
My WDTV can only output 50hz or 60hz. If the monoprice unit does not upconvert(?) this signal then I think I am SOL for this project as I am not looking to purchase a blueray player.
post #20 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmonk View Post

Hi Lewis3845,
Did you play a side-by-side 3d movie using the red/cyan glasses on a 2dtv or the hd66? I've the monoprice unit but haven't ordered dlp-link glasses yet.

I played a side by side 3d movie using the red/cyan glasses on my HD66 using the monoprice's 3d program to 2d tv setting. What this setting does is it takes the 2 halfs (side by side) and combine them into 1 image for 3d.
post #21 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I played a side by side 3d movie using the red/cyan glasses on my HD66 using the monoprice's 3d program to 2d tv setting. What this setting does is it takes the 2 halfs (side by side) and combine them into 1 image for 3d.

What was the source for your SBS video?
post #22 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Hold the phone!!! After considering my last post further, I am wondering....Does the monoprice unit convert 60HZ signals to 120HZ or does the original signal have to be at that refresh rate?
My WDTV can only output 50hz or 60hz. If the monoprice unit does not upconvert(?) this signal then I think I am SOL for this project as I am not looking to purchase a blueray player.

I've seen quite a few people use the hd66 and monoprice 3d creator together for 3d so it has to put out 120hz for 3d dlp-link which is the whole point of the unit. I think I just may have a bad 3d creator so my new one will be here tuesday I will let everyone know it works or not.
post #23 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

What was the source for your SBS video?

I downloaded a sbs video off the net on to a memory stick and played it in the usb port of my samsung 6900 blu ray player.
post #24 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Is your blueray player set to output 120hz?
post #25 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperchaser View Post

I was going to actually buy that unit before I bought the monoprice, but the more I read in to it I didn't think it supported 3d-dlp link projectors, but the other chinsese model did but I'm not sure that's why I didn't buy it. http://www.mart-shopping.com/2d-to-3...ox-ry-v3d.html
post #26 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I was going to actually buy that unit before I bought the monoprice, but the more I read in to it I didn't think it supported 3d-dlp link projectors, but the other chinsese model did but I'm not sure that's why I didn't buy it. http://www.mart-shopping.com/2d-to-3...ox-ry-v3d.html

The price of the unit you linked to is the most tempting yet!! The only thing keeping me from ordering it is my concerns over it's compatibility with the HD66.

I strongly suspect that paperchaser's issues stem from the fact that the specs for the box that he is using state that it outputs 60hz 1080/720p. The box you linked to doesn't say anything about refresh rate or DLP link (although the 3d DLP setting seems encouraging) .

I know that the monoprice unit does in fact output at the required 120hz albeit only at 720p (which is no problem for me as that is the native resolution of the hd66)

My only question is whether or not the input signal for the monoprice unit has to be 120hz or can it upconvert(?) a 60hz signal which is what my wdtv is set to output. Hence my question about your blueray player's output settings.
post #27 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:

The price of the unit you linked to is the most tempting yet!! The only thing keeping me from ordering it is my concerns over it's compatibility with the HD66.

I strongly suspect that paperchaser's issues stem from the fact that the specs for the box that he is using state that it outputs 60hz 1080/720p. The box you linked to doesn't say anything about refresh rate or DLP link (although the 3d DLP setting seems encouraging) .

I know that the monoprice unit does in fact output at the required 120hz albeit only at 720p (which is no problem for me as that is the native resolution of the hd66)

My only question is whether or not the input signal for the monoprice unit has to be 120hz or can it upconvert(?) a 60hz signal which is what my wdtv is set to output. Hence my question about your blueray player's output settings.

my blu ray player outputs 60hz the monoprice should convert 60hz to 120hz although I have not confirmed this with monoprice.
post #28 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Lewis.
post #29 of 152 Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:

my blu ray player outputs 60hz the monoprice should convert 60hz to 120hz although I have not confirmed this with monoprice.

I guess that settles it then. If you played the movie from your memory stick through the blueray player outputting 60hz,then I guess it works!
Thanks!
post #30 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
3D overload... yep that's me and about a million other folks without a complete grasp of all the 3D formats... even after weeks of reading.

ok... so here i am with a year old...

1) VIVITEK H1080FD, HDMI 1.3, non 3D ready (ie no DLP-LINK chip), which outputs 1080p @ 60hz (up to 85hz)
2) Panasonic Blu ray (non 3D)

What is my best case scenerio to getting decent (relative) 3D.
Of course, since my PJ's output is 60hz... i'm in for some definite ghosting issues.
Obviously i would buy a 3D Blu ray player but sadly with everything i've read... that's SOL when it comes to my PJ.

Short of completely scrapping everything... & starting over with a new PJ (ie Epson 3010) for $1500... what are my options?

cheapest COMPLETE 3D option:
If i were starting over with a budget and looking to get active 3D.... i'd probably go with a HD66 or 5360 (approx $550)...
both are 720p/120hz, 3D-Ready, DLP-Link... along with a 3D-XL ($300) and a panasonic 3D Blu ray player ($125) - since it supposedly can do hardware conversion of 2D Blu ray to 3D. And if i wanted better 2D to 3D conversion... i'd pick up a Monoprice, V3D-Bee (costly), or chinese import.
Total Cost - $975 (non including 2D to 3D conversion boxes)
Cons - no 1080p 2D.

Alright, any option short of starting over must be $300-400 less... giving me approx a $500 budget to put a BANDAID on my current system in hopes of a 3D outcome of sorts.

Here's what i've gathered... and the hardware options (non HTPC... as i've only got a laptop)

3D-XL ($300):
accepts Blu ray 3D (frame-packed) and outputs (frame sequential) at 720p/120hz.
that would be great if my PJ could accept that frame sequential signal and display it. with the downfalls be it's hdmi 1.3 (as some 1.3 devices can accept this), it's also non DLP-Link and would require a IR emitter (gen2) or RF transmitter (monster vision 3D) for the VESA port.
I've looked at Vivitek's 3D ready, DLP-Link, 720p pjs... and aside from DLP-Link, they have the same output specs as mine... up to 85hz output (but of course at 720p).
So if my PJ can output 720p at the same Hz as the 3D ready 720p units... even though it doesn't have DLP-Link... i should be able to do a work around with an IR emitter or RF transmitter in the VESA port for active 3D... right?
with the big question mark being can it accept the frame sequential 720p/120hz signal sent by the 3D-XL?

----

Viewsonic converter - no VESA port - SOL on active 3D.

----

V3D-Bee - lots of questions ???.
pros - best 2D to 3D conversion short of $1000
cons - pricey ($500)

----

Monoprice ($120)
can pass a 60hz, SBS signal for 2D TV and PJ's.
no conversion of Blu ray 3D (frame packed) to frame sequential or sbs.
good hardware 2D to 3D conversion SBS for active 3D or anaglyph.
no VESA port, so... i'm limited only anaglyph. (i've heard anachrome anaglyph is passible)

Chinese imports ($60)
basically the same as the monoprice.

---

If I hang on to my 1080pj...
there's no use in getting a Blu ray 3D player as of yet.
no active 3D unless a miracle occurs and my PJ is able to accept frame sequential from the 3D-XL and display it... with ghosting from it low 60hz output.
and finally, i'm limited to getting 3D via 2D conversion and using anachrome analyph.

Here's to hoping the future 3DNow converter solves my 3D woes.

anyone else using a 2D pj for 3D wanna help us find the light?!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
View Sonic 3d Hd Video Processor Vp3d1 , Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector , Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Optoma Hd66 Dlp 3d Ready Home Theater Projector , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Player Dmp Bdt210 , Optoma
Gear in this thread - H5360 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page