Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi guys,

Over the last few weeks, I was able to demo 3D for the first time in my small town. The first was a Sony active 3d set. I watched it for 20 minutes or so and came away with NO headache. I was able to demo a Vizio passive 3D set twice the last few days. I only watched for a few minutes and came away with alot of pain in my temples. Both time it took a good 12 hours before my head pain went away. I have a JVC RS45 projector on pre-order and now I wonder if I should cancel and avoid 3D.

Is passive 3D more likely to cause headaches than active 3D or am I just a freak?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Hi guys,

Over the last few weeks, I was able to demo 3D for the first time in my small town. The first was a Sony active 3d set. I watched it for 20 minutes or so and came away with NO headache. I was able to demo a Vizio passive 3D set twice the last few days. I only watched for a few minutes and came away with alot of pain in my temples. Both time it took a good 12 hours before my head pain went away. I have a JVC RS45 projector on pre-order and now I wonder if I should cancel and avoid 3D.

Is passive 3D more likely to cause headaches than active 3D or am I just a freak?

Thanks,
Tom

I don't think there's any real proof or evidence for either case, but I can tell you that with my Active Glasses, I get absolutely no headaches, and it feels very natural to me, just like looking at the real world. Watching an entire movie or playing a videogame for 2 or 3 hours is no problem.

I also demo'd Passive 3D, and while I didn't get any headaches, I can tell you that the image did have a few visual abnormalities like a sort of warped sense of depth and lots of aliasing (jagged edges), which I can imagine might cause some visual strain after prolonged periods of usage.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Tom

If that was your first time viewing 3d in a while, the 3d use on the active could have equated to working out, then working out some more with the passive, without giving your body the rest it needed. Maybe?

I think it just takes a bit of getting used to. I don't get headaches, but i did get eye strain the first day i used my home 3d for more than 3 hours. I don't see the flicker at 60 hz either and i have even got used to the flicker at 24hz in a game. I've not experienced any headaches or eyestrain since and i have literally gamed all day, just ask my self esteem. I also used to get near-sightedness after gaming or viewing the internet for long periods of time. Since i've started using 3D so much that no longer happens. Another person said something similar but i can't remember what exactly. No ones else that has used my active TV said anything about headaches, thats for sure. Also, after so much research, looking for the best 3DTV, i've seen more comments about headaches in the theater using passive than active at home by about a factor of 4 i'd guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 PM

My active Samsung glasses cause headaches. That's all I got to say about that.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post

My active Samsung glasses cause headaches. That's all I got to say about that.

How often do you use them? I ask this simply because I've heard from other people who experienced some discomfort that the more you watch the less discomfort you will feel because some people need to train their eyes to watch 3D and become more accustomed to it
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by WACO View Post

How often do you use them? I ask this simply because I've heard from other people who experienced some discomfort that the more you watch the less discomfort you will feel because some people need to train their eyes to watch 3D and become more accustomed to it

That would make sense as you are using your eye muscles in a different manner to view 3D then you normally do when you view the world. You can strengthen those eye muscles by watching more 3D as long as you don't have a vision impairment or eye muscle imbalance to begin with. Such ailments are what cause the symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, vertigo, etc.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
That would make sense as you are using your eye muscles in a different manner to view 3D then you normally do when you view the world. You can strengthen those eye muscles by watching more 3D as long as you don't have a vision impairment or eye muscle imbalance to begin with. Such ailments are what cause the symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, vertigo, etc.

I got a minor headache the first time I sat through a feature length movie with my active shutter glasses. The next time my head felt a bit "fuzzy". Now, I don't experience any issues at all, even after watching for like 4 hours. Your explanation seems rational and makes sense.

When your buddy comes over and complains about eye strain, just say, "Dude, you're a girly man. You need to workout...your eyes!"

post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 AM

Only speaking for active shutter glasses experience .. everyone is mostly on the dot.. its about getting used to it ...

Last night we watched Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 in 3D .. and this being our 3D film after say about 2-3 weeks .. we both couldn't adjust to the 3D and our eyes were focusing here n there .. but 15 mins into it .. we were both fine and watched it through .. no headaches ..

Eye strain is a different thing .. you can get that watching a normal 2D movie on a big screen .. depends how tired you were before starting to watch it
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page