Playstation Simulview capability on projectors! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For people who are big PS3 fans, I'm sure you are aware of the new simulview display Sony released for the PS3. It allows 2 people to play a game both in full screen and have 2 different views.

This can be done with just about any 3D projector that uses a external 3D sync emitter and supports 3D frame-packed, side by side, and top/bottom.

I have a Titan Reference 3D projector and originally had purchased the Xpand 3D glasses. I was never happy with them. I then bought the RealD CE4 glasses. What a huge difference in quality. Not knowing at the time, but those glasses have a really awesome feature. They can display not only in 3D mode, but they also have a 2D left eye mode, and a 2D right eye mode. Originally I saw the benefits for this when lots of family wanted to watch a 3D movie, but then one or two people did not like the 3D effects. Their glasses could just be put in 2D so that both eyes were synced with either the left eye picture only or right eye picture only. This helped everyone in the family be able to enjoy a movie together regardless if someone didn't like 3D.

Then i learned about the PS3 Simulview display, and it dawned on me that the RealD CE4 glasses were basically the same thing that came with that display. Either they synced normally for a 3D image, or both eyes would sync only to the left image or right image.

So anyone that has a PS3 and a 3D projector that has an external 3D emitter, you should consider the RealD CE4 glasses and emitter. That will allow you not only to enjoy 3D movies and games, but allows you and a friend to both game in full screen on the same screen simultaneously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I haven't tested it, but for PS3 gaming I don't see how that would work. With the SimulView tech in the proprietary display that was recently released, not all 3D games offer the feature, and for those that do you have to get them patched to make it work.

The reason is because normal 3D gaming would have both players seeing the same 3D image simultaneously, but the new tech has the PS3 send different display data separately to both players' glasses. If the PS3 isn't getting the thumbs up sign from a compatible SimulView display for it to function, there's no way to turn it on within the PS3 so it knows how to split the signal properly.

For 3D movies however (or passive viewers of a 3D game who want to watch in 2D), I can see how your glasses woulddo the job.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
I've seen one person claiming to have a patched CoD and noticed a grayed out/disabled SimulView menu option. It wasn't clear as to whether his TV was 3D ready though, so until I either test it myself or someone who knows how to do a thorough verification does, we don't know for sure whether Sony is crippling SimulView based on the EDID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The reason is because normal 3D gaming would have both players seeing the same 3D image simultaneously

Let's not mince words: the reason is Sony wants to sell TV sets.

At any rate, as to the glasses see the other thread. There are some DLPlink and IR glasses that do single-eye (a feature people who get headaches from 3D wanted well before SimulView, so others could enjoy 3D in the same room.)

Also might be fun to try to hack firmware-upgradable glasses to do it. For the solder jockeys, rerouting the signal to the driver gates on many brands should be pretty easy.

Also note that it's easy enough on passive sets to take your dremel to a couple cheap passive glasses and built a one-eye-only pair set.

Trying to get my hands on a loaner EDID spoofer so I could test and see if those could be used to work around crippling. It would be ever so helpful if anyone who has a spoofer/spoofing tuner that supports manual entry and retrieval (and also a friend at Best Buy would be handy) could go grab the EDID data off the Sony equipment and post it.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't have any problems doing it, and also can work with games that are simulview ready

Just take a game that has a split screen view, either side by side or top/bottom.

Then turn on 3D and select on your display either SBS or T/B. Then you have each individual view filling the full screen. Then as long as your glasses can choose with view to see, like the RealD CE4 glasses, you will have each players view full screen.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I haven't tested it, but for PS3 gaming I don't see how that would work. With the SimulView tech in the proprietary display that was recently released, not all 3D games offer the feature, and for those that do you have to get them patched to make it work.

The reason is because normal 3D gaming would have both players seeing the same 3D image simultaneously, but the new tech has the PS3 send different display data separately to both players' glasses. If the PS3 isn't getting the thumbs up sign from a compatible SimulView display for it to function, there's no way to turn it on within the PS3 so it knows how to split the signal properly.

For 3D movies however (or passive viewers of a 3D game who want to watch in 2D), I can see how your glasses woulddo the job.

That is not completely correct. This really isn't an y proprietary technology. With 3D viewing under normal circumstances you get a Right image and a left image that are slightly different from each other.

The simulview technology is not 3D. It is 2 separate 2D images. For example the left eye and right eye are showing completely different images, not slightly different ones like in 3D. The glasses instead of syncing left eye to left eye and then right eye to right eye for normal 3D, they open both eyes for just the left displayed image, or both eyes for the right displayed image. There is no other technology going on.

There is a video posted on youtube where a kid took apart some passive glasses for an LG passive tv. He put both left lens in one pair and both right lens in another. Then turns on the appropriate 3D mode, either sbs or t/b, then he can play full screen for 2 players.

In addition this will really work with any split screen game, not just ones that support simulview.

See links:
http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/simulview-technology/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj5jwIQI8rY
post #6 of 25 Old 12-26-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Simulview will work with any 3D display, just have to capture the EDID code from the PS3 Simulview monitor. I tried accessing the Simulview setting on GT5 and it wouldn't let me enter the settings. Once I had the EDID info it worked perfectly.

Good news!!! Its just an EDID issue!

I bought the PS3 simulview monitor, connected one of my HDMI Detectives, copied the code, connected it between my PS3 and Lumagen, and it instantly worked. The PS3 still thinks the PS3 display is connected, so I could turn on Simulview, and the rest worked perfectly. What an awesome feature. Now 2 people can play in full screen on my 12' wide 16:9 screen.

So all you need is an HDMI detective, some way of getting the PS3 monitor EDID, and a TV or projector that has an external IR port, so you can use glasses like the RealD CE4 or any others that allow both 3D and 2D A/B mode.

Sorry for the blurry pics, I took them quickly! A youtube video of simulview working in my theater is attached at the bottom!

Youtube video of Simulview working in my theater!
http://youtu.be/IDN9IQk2Zgw
post #7 of 25 Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

For people who are big PS3 fans, I'm sure you are aware of the new simulview display Sony released for the PS3. It allows 2 people to play a game both in full screen and have 2 different views.

This can be done with just about any 3D projector that uses a external 3D sync emitter and supports 3D frame-packed, side by side, and top/bottom.

I have a Titan Reference 3D projector and originally had purchased the Xpand 3D glasses. I was never happy with them. I then bought the RealD CE4 glasses. What a huge difference in quality. Not knowing at the time, but those glasses have a really awesome feature. They can display not only in 3D mode, but they also have a 2D left eye mode, and a 2D right eye mode. Originally I saw the benefits for this when lots of family wanted to watch a 3D movie, but then one or two people did not like the 3D effects. Their glasses could just be put in 2D so that both eyes were synced with either the left eye picture only or right eye picture only. This helped everyone in the family be able to enjoy a movie together regardless if someone didn't like 3D.

Then i learned about the PS3 Simulview display, and it dawned on me that the RealD CE4 glasses were basically the same thing that came with that display. Either they synced normally for a 3D image, or both eyes would sync only to the left image or right image.

So anyone that has a PS3 and a 3D projector that has an external 3D emitter, you should consider the RealD CE4 glasses and emitter. That will allow you not only to enjoy 3D movies and games, but allows you and a friend to both game in full screen on the same screen simultaneously.

Will this work with PS3 glasses ?
post #8 of 25 Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Will this work with PS3 glasses ?

NO unfortunately not. The PS3 glasses would sync with many different displays for the normal 3D mode, but would not sync in 2D A/B mode with any display except the PS3 monitor.

The REALD CE4 glasses work perfectly, as long as your projector has a 3D Sync port. Then you can use the REALD emitter and glasses.

The only way for the PS3 to think the Epson projector is the PS3 simulview monitor is with an HDMI detective. They are about $100.00 i think. They capture the EDID info of a display and once it is captured, you cant then plug it between your ps3 and projector, and it fools the PS3 into thinking it is still connected to that display.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

NO unfortunately not. The PS3 glasses would sync with many different displays for the normal 3D mode, but would not sync in 2D A/B mode with any display except the PS3 monitor.

The REALD CE4 glasses work perfectly, as long as your projector has a 3D Sync port. Then you can use the REALD emitter and glasses.

The only way for the PS3 to think the Epson projector is the PS3 simulview monitor is with an HDMI detective. They are about $100.00 i think. They capture the EDID info of a display and once it is captured, you cant then plug it between your ps3 and projector, and it fools the PS3 into thinking it is still connected to that display.

thats interesting....so what is it that PS3 monitor transmitting that locks the PS3 glasses to it when you want siulview ? I thought all you need to enable simulview on PS3 glasses is to do this HDMI EDID thingy !

Also why do you need PS3 to think the PJ is simulview if you cant use that darn feature on PS3 glasses ? Are you saying you need this even to use the REALD CE4 glasses in A/B mode to watch movies ?

anyway the RealD glasses are way too expensive for me !
post #10 of 25 Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

thats interesting....so what is it that PS3 monitor transmitting that locks the PS3 glasses to it when you want siulview ? I thought all you need to enable simulview on PS3 glasses is to do this HDMI EDID thingy !

Also why do you need PS3 to think the PJ is simulview if you cant use that darn feature on PS3 glasses ? Are you saying you need this even to use the REALD CE4 glasses in A/B mode to watch movies ?

anyway the RealD glasses are way too expensive for me !

I don't think there is anything that really locks they glasses, except the were designed to work with many displays, and the 2D A/B mode only works with the PS3 IR code. (My Guess)

KEEP IN MIND - everything you are trying to do, is get your projector to work in a manner that Sony does not want it to work. There is a reason they lock out the SIMULVIEW feature from every display except the PS3 monitor. Mainly so they can sell the PS3 monitor. But with Sony TV business so crappy, you would think they would at least allow the Sony 3DTVs to work with Simulview.

I need my PS3 to think my projector is Simulview capable, mainly, because it is, and any 3D display pretty much is. Since I already have 12 pairs of REALD CE4 glasses, once I could turn on "simulview" in the ps3 games i was good to go. The HDMI Detective serves only one purpose, to be able to enable "SIMULVIEW" on the PS3 games.

And no I didn't need the HDMI detective to watch 3D movies in 2D. That was one of the reason I selected the REALD CE4 glasses to begin with, If I'm watching a 3D blu-ray or 3D satellite or whatever, any combination of the glasses can either be in 3D mode or 2D mode. Since not everyone likes the 3D effects. They work in 3D mode or 2D A/B mode for any 3D source.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think there is anything that really locks they glasses, except the were designed to work with many displays, and the 2D A/B mode only works with the PS3 IR code. (My Guess)

KEEP IN MIND - everything you are trying to do, is get your projector to work in a manner that Sony does not want it to work. There is a reason they lock out the SIMULVIEW feature from every display except the PS3 monitor. Mainly so they can sell the PS3 monitor. But with Sony TV business so crappy, you would think they would at least allow the Sony 3DTVs to work with Simulview.

I need my PS3 to think my projector is Simulview capable, mainly, because it is, and any 3D display pretty much is. Since I already have 12 pairs of REALD CE4 glasses, once I could turn on "simulview" in the ps3 games i was good to go. The HDMI Detective serves only one purpose, to be able to enable "SIMULVIEW" on the PS3 games.

And no I didn't need the HDMI detective to watch 3D movies in 2D. That was one of the reason I selected the REALD CE4 glasses to begin with, If I'm watching a 3D blu-ray or 3D satellite or whatever, any combination of the glasses can either be in 3D mode or 2D mode. Since not everyone likes the 3D effects. They work in 3D mode or 2D A/B mode for any 3D source.

thanks for clarifying...i guess reald is out of my price tag
post #12 of 25 Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 AM

@ccool96
have you equipment to read ir signals from ps3 3d display?
i will active sony 3d glasses without display.
i have glasses but not a sony 3d display
post #13 of 25 Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM

HYPOTHESIS: if i hook up one PS3 to my Epson3010 Projector, and one PS3 to the PS3 Simulview display, will my PS3 3D glasses allow me to select Simulview A/B options and use them strictly for the Larger screen, while the a simulview game is being played in simulview mode on the PS3.

CONCLUSION: NO, the simulview A/B option becomes disabled as soon as there this another 3D display fighting for control of the glasses. So, even though I was trying to play a simulview game on the simulview display, I was NOT able to get the PS3 3D glasses to remain in simulview A or B modes. because their was another 3d Display in the same room.

My thoughts: Although the average family does not have two 3D devices running at the same time in the same room, this is a huge flaw with the Simulview device.
post #14 of 25 Old 03-19-2012, 04:28 PM

3DPROJECT: likely what is happening is the Sony glasses pop our of A/B mode if they do not sense a Sony IR protocol. Whether they have to have the exact protocol of the Sony PS3 monitor or just any old Sony protocol is another question.

I'm more inclined to get A/B mode working on 3rd party glasses, so as not to give any cash to people who throw up asinine software roadblocks.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Sorry I edited my entry..... it would not work on on simulview display either!
post #16 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 AM

You can get simulview working on any TV/PJ even if not 3D , using the latest highend gadget from HDfury, it will also allow each player to get his own picture on 2 different screens
post #17 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

3DPROJECT: likely what is happening is the Sony glasses pop our of A/B mode if they do not sense a Sony IR protocol. Whether they have to have the exact protocol of the Sony PS3 monitor or just any old Sony protocol is another question.

I'm more inclined to get A/B mode working on 3rd party glasses, so as not to give any cash to people who throw up asinine software roadblocks.

FWIW in case anyone isn't keeping up on other threads, turns out the XPAND X104s allow you to place them in L-L or R-R mode with a doubleclick of the power button, with the latest firmware.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

FWIW in case anyone isn't keeping up on other threads, turns out the XPAND X104s allow you to place them in L-L or R-R mode with a doubleclick of the power button, with the latest firmware.

great ! do these work with Epsosn 3010 ?
post #19 of 25 Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM

I understand that the need for active 3D is so that you can put the glasses in 2D mode...L/L and R/R. But, would this work with passive 3D if you took apart your cheap glasses and switched lenses. Creating a L/L passive glasses and a R/R passive glasses.

Has anyone tried this?

Also, I think I read somewhere that you need a 240hz tv...is that true? Why?
post #20 of 25 Old 05-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post

I understand that the need for active 3D is so that you can put the glasses in 2D mode...L/L and R/R. But, would this work with passive 3D if you took apart your cheap glasses and switched lenses. Creating a L/L passive glasses and a R/R passive glasses.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes and yes. And from what I've heard, ghosting on the passive sets is not so horribly bad that it would prevent them from being used for this, though DLP+Active is better.

Quote:

Also, I think I read somewhere that you need a 240hz tv...is that true? Why?

Most game systems output at 60FPSx2 for 3D and SimulView. So you need at least 120HZ. However, in some display technologies like Active LCD, a 240HZ refresh rate is needed so that black frame insertion can be used to reduce crosstalk. Most 240HZ TVs actually always output 3D content at 240HZ/blackframe which is 120HZ of image and 120HZ of black frames, even when they are playing a DVD at a lower frame rate (they time-interpolate the signal up to the TV's natural frame rate.) The actual per-glasses-eye rate is still 60HZ, and some displays that don't need black frame insertion like DLP should theoretically be fine at 120HZ.

Or in other words, the "nameplate" HZ rating vendors give for LCD is fine for rating non-3D video (i.e. digitally enhanced motion smoothing) but the standards they use for the nameplate HZ speed are not strict enough to rate for 3D, which requires a lot less bleeding between frames.
post #21 of 25 Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM

could you explain how to do simulview without 3d tv/pj please?
post #22 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Hoping you guys can help me out. Short of buying a Sony 3d simulview display and copying the EDID onto a HDMI detective and then returing the tv

...How can I get the EDID that is needed to be pogram onto a HDMI detective without the first having the tv.
post #23 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
post #24 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM

Yes, but I was planning on buying a HDMI detective and wanted the EDID for that, but it turns out I will need the DR. HDMI as that one has a usb input so as to be able to program it via USB, apposed to having the actual display with the EDID. Thank you for your help.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Hey all,

Would I be able to do this with my new Optoma HD25-LV and the ZD301 DLP glasses?

I assume not, but would I simply need the RealD CE4 glasses also? I'm looking to stay away from EDID type stuff.

Kevpatts
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page