3D - wait for it to improve or should I jump in now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've resisted making the leap into 3D tech so far mainly for a couple of reasons 1) That home tech is still in its relative infancy in terms of 3D and 2) the lack of decent material, with a few exceptions like Avatar etc.

However, with projectors now coming into their 2nd/3rd generation for 3D with some marked improvements (Sony 65 / JVC 45/55 / BenQ 7000 / Epson 5010 etc.) and more stuff making it to the shelves in 3D (movies and games), I'm starting to think that it might be worth jumping in.

My current setup is a Panasonic 50" non-3D plasma which I don't intend to change and a Panasonic AX-100 projector (this would be changed) which I project onto a 92" screen in our lounge (white/light walls). Again, not planning to change the colour of walls/ceiling, so will have to keep those as they are.

So, the question on my mind at the moment is "Is 3D on the latest projectors (c. $2.5K to $3.5K range) sufficiently good to give that wow factor or will next years model give a significant improvement?"

Now I know that next years models always tend to be better/improved when it comes to tech, but the niggling question is whether there is still a lot of improvement to come that it might be worth waiting another year before jumping in. I'm not in a huge rush, hence happy to wait, but if things are really good already, then equally happy to jump in now.

I'll finish by staying that I'm very happy with the picture produced by both the tv and the projector (both have been ISF calibrated) and I also know that there is a lot of room for improvement on my projector given its now 'old tech' - so, what does everyone think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Gae

Hi Plasma_Novice....I was in exactly the same situation recently. I already have a Panasonic AE900 HD Projector which I watch 2D material on, on a 100" screen and I'm very happy with it. I also have an Infocus X1 DLP projector which I watch 3D on using X3D shutter glasses via a PC. The resolution is limited to 800x600 85Hz or 1024x768 85Hz upscaled but the 3D looks very good, albeit at a lower resoluton and darkened image.
Now, I've really wanted to get into the new passive 3D technology in order to watch 3D Blu-rays and 3D material in 1080p etc but because of the fact that 3D may eventually go autostereoscopic (no glasses) in a few years or even perhaps holographic, I have decided to dip cautiously into the new technology for now. Add to the above uncertainty that I am also very happy with my current setup and in the end I just bought an LG DM2350D 23" Tv/monitor and 3D Blu-ray player at a reasonable cost. This way I can view new 3D material but without breaking the bank too much. I'm very pleased with my purchase and have joined an online rental company to watch current 3D Blu-ray movies. I'm also enjoying a lot of the YT3D 1080p 3D content and looking forward to renting/buying some of the new blockbuster 3D movies due on 3D Blu-ray in 2012.

Gae
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Well Plasma at least to me you have painted your question with the broad brush of costs and future expectations. I use a 3D-VIP Theater converter with my Panasonic AE4000 and an Acer H5360 120hz DLP projector so I am enjoying 3D now.

With the AE4000, which can only accept the 60hz signal I have some flicker but to be able to operate that projector for 3D viewing I was impressed.

Even more so with the Acer H5360 at 120Hz, my household considers with that combination to outperform viewing at the local RealD 3D theater. The RF shutter glasses just seem to give more depth over passive at this point with DLP. I have 5 3D titles in my collection at this point and it looks like the 2012 theatrical releases will have a significant number in 3D. Peter Jackson is preparing The Hobbit in 3D for the December theatrical release in Dec. 2012.

Not sure if my comments are any guidance for jumping in now but wanted to share my thoughts just the same. You don't need to really spend 2-3K now to enjoy 3D.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There are two changes that will affect 3D consumer displays in 2012. The first is the creation of a universal standard for active shutter glasses with several CE companies already licensing it. The second is the release of HDMI chips capable of 1080p60 per eye 3D video.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Richard - does the forthcoming standard for 3D glasses mean that this years glasses & projectors will be superseded or will there be some kind of inter compatibility, e.g. the new glasses will work with older projectors

From reading the thread on 1080p60 per eye, it's not something I think i'll be too worried about seeing as there seems to be a lack of content, other than games
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_novice View Post

I've resisted making the leap into 3D tech so far mainly for a couple of reasons 1) That home tech is still in its relative infancy in terms of 3D and 2) the lack of decent material, with a few exceptions like Avatar etc.

However, with projectors now coming into their 2nd/3rd generation for 3D with some marked improvements (Sony 65 / JVC 45/55 / BenQ 7000 / Epson 5010 etc.) and more stuff making it to the shelves in 3D (movies and games), I'm starting to think that it might be worth jumping in.

My current setup is a Panasonic 50" non-3D plasma which I don't intend to change and a Panasonic AX-100 projector (this would be changed) which I project onto a 92" screen in our lounge (white/light walls). Again, not planning to change the colour of walls/ceiling, so will have to keep those as they are.

So, the question on my mind at the moment is "Is 3D on the latest projectors (c. $2.5K to $3.5K range) sufficiently good to give that wow factor or will next years model give a significant improvement?"

Now I know that next years models always tend to be better/improved when it comes to tech, but the niggling question is whether there is still a lot of improvement to come that it might be worth waiting another year before jumping in. I'm not in a huge rush, hence happy to wait, but if things are really good already, then equally happy to jump in now.

I'll finish by staying that I'm very happy with the picture produced by both the tv and the projector (both have been ISF calibrated) and I also know that there is a lot of room for improvement on my projector given its now 'old tech' - so, what does everyone think?

Thanks

I would pull the trigger. If you think about it, 3D is still a small minority compared to the big picture of things. With the high unemployment rate and the unstable economic environment we live in, I would feel confident the current 3D systems will stay around for a while. 3D is just now almost getting into the mainstream. But still there are a lot of people out there that are not buying into the whole 3D experience.

On a side note, I just purchased a Panasonic 65VT30 with a 3D player and 3 pairs of active shutter glasses. Along with my 3D AVR, my home theater ROCKS!!! I just picked up Despicable Me 3D last night for $24.99. I watched the first 15 minutes and WOW!!! That was the coolest thing I ever seen. I just got my copy of Avatar 3D in the mail from Panasonic and that was fraking awesome.

TO prove my point, drive to your local Wall-Mart or BB and tell me how many 3D movies compared to how many BD, compared to how many DVD movies are sitting on the shelf. I would bet more people are buying DVD movies than BD movies. Me, you and everybody on this forum is the minority.

If you have the money, purchase the 3D projector and be happy. The only people you are going to impress are your own family. The big corporations are still fighting over creating a 3D standard. Until the 3D standard is set in stone, things will change and no matter what you do, it will be obsolete the next day.

My $.02

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would you watch a movie in the wrong apsect ratio? That is the way I view 3D. If it was meant to be 3D by the director, I want to screen it in 3D in my own theater.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_novice View Post

Richard - does the forthcoming standard for 3D glasses mean that this years glasses & projectors will be superseded or will there be some kind of inter compatibility, e.g. the new glasses will work with older projectors

The CE companies behind the standard (Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony) have said that the universal glasses they release in 2012 will be "targeted to be backward compatible with 2011 3D active TVs". We will probably hear more about their plans for this standard at the CES show next month.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Wait until right before the Super Bowl to decide. That way you can see what new products are coming out next year, and you can still get super low prices if you pull the trigger. I bought my Panny on Black Friday because I got a great deal and I'm not too worried about an active 3D glasses standard because they will probably be backwards compatible. If you like passive 3D better (and on most LCD and LED-LCD displays, passive is arguably better) I'd wait until after CES. I just have a feeling that LG, Toshiba, Sharp, or Vizio is going to come up with an amazing Passive 3D display next year. Even if they don't, the prices on this years models will bottom out this quarter and you'll know what is coming out next year in less than two weeks.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

The CE companies behind the standard (Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony) have said that the universal glasses they release in 2012 will be "targeted to be backward compatible with 2011 3D active TVs". We will probably hear more about their plans for this standard at the CES show next month.

I'm not worried about compatibility issues with any 3D standard. Sony already has released universal 3D glasses under their playstation brand. I use them with my Panny, and they look fine, and only cost $70. I don't know if the Panasonic glasses are actually better since they are hard to find and my only pair of the broke 5 minutes after I bought them.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Even if I had the money to get a new, nice tv right now (which I don't), there would be several factors making me hesitate.

One is the continually evolving nature of 3D. If Cameron decides to shoot his Avatar sequels at 60p, the blu-ray 3D spec will need to be updated to include at least 1080p30. If I get a blu-ray 3D player now, will I will be able to update it????

The other is that this real-d/samsung deal really got my hopes up, only to crush them. I can't help feeling the various manufacturers are milking the current, cheap-to-produce technology for all it's worth before they finally spend the money to give us full 1080p-per-eye passive tv's.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just read that LG will be announcing a full 1080P 84" passive set at CES. But I will still use my 92" DLP active as I really enjoy the big 3D effect.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I just read that LG will be announcing a full 1080P 84" passive set at CES. But I will still use my 92" DLP active as I really enjoy the big 3D effect.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/29/2...-3d-tv-for-ces
Here's the Link.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM

I was wondering the same thing for 3d projectors. Im about ready to buy the new Epson 5010 but Im afraid at CES or CEDIA next year there will be better 3d projectors and then Ill have to redo again next year.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Plasma_novice,

It's a very difficult decision for you. My story:

I had a BenQ PE7800 DLP (1024x576 - $2,000 in 2004) projected onto a 110" screen for 7 years and it served me well. Was not looking to upgrade, but the PJ died last month so I upgraded upgraded to a 1080p (Epson 3010). Long story short, you never know what you are missing until you see what you do not have. 1080p is far and away better than what I had. And 3D looks spectacular (only saw Captain America so far).

You are asking the right questions. In my case, I was concerned with glasses, so went with a PJ that had standardized glasses. Other than that, the technology is in its infancy and will change. How many generations of 720p PJs did we see? Many. And the same goes for 1080p PJs. It's always changing.

If my 576p PJ did not fail, I would have never upgraded. BD rips and OTA HD looked good enough on it.

-T
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

Plasma_novice,

It's a very difficult decision for you. My story:

I had a BenQ PE7800 DLP (1024x576 - $2,000 in 2004) projected onto a 110" screen for 7 years and it served me well. Was not looking to upgrade, but the PJ died last month so I upgraded upgraded to a 1080p (Epson 3010). Long story short, you never know what you are missing until you see what you do not have. 1080p is far and away better than what I had. And 3D looks spectacular (only saw Captain America so far).

You are asking the right questions. In my case, I was concerned with glasses, so went with a PJ that had standardized glasses. Other than that, the technology is in its infancy and will change. How many generations of 720p PJs did we see? Many. And the same goes for 1080p PJs. It's always changing.

If my 576p PJ did not fail, I would have never upgraded. BD rips and OTA HD looked good enough on it.

-T

Thanks T-Bone. I'm going to have a side by side demo of the Epson 3010, 5010, Sony HW30 and JVC RS45 in the next week or so - something tells me I will probably end up leaving the store with 1 of them!!!