3D Glasses compability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to know if any manufactured 3D Glasses can be used on other brands 3D TV or does the 3D Glasses have to be from the same TV manufacturer?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 11
If you type "Can 3d g" into Google - it'll answer your question. Remember Google?
post #3 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A fair amount of digging would go into establishing compatibility. In general you need to get the glasses your displays states will work.

If the display has a VESA port you have lots of options, but still no real established compatibiliy with other glasses though.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Is the TV DLP, does it use a built-in emitter, is it RF or IR, active or passive? There are a lot of variables so there is no one answer for every set. It all depends on the TV and the technology it uses for 3D.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Silly me ... I should've stated that I have the Sony 3D KDL60NX270.

Totally a newbie am I.

Thx
post #6 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM

If you're talking about active (and i know sony is of the active camp) i believe it has to be the same manufacturer. If you have a sony TV the active glasses need to be sony's. I do not believe there are exceptions to this but i could be wrong. Passive however is not like that, from what i've read, the glasses for passive are no different than the glasses you've been getting at the theater for the past few years. So any pair will work with any 3D tv that uses passive 3D.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
There are several brands of "unversal" active glasses that may work. Xpand 103 is just one brand and model but there are others. In the future any that are marked "Full HD 3D Glasses" will work because of the new standard that includes cross manufacturer standards.
http://www.fullhd3dglasses.com/
post #8 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM

GEP, do you think the tv active models that come out this year will be able to use this cross manufacturer standard? I plan on buying either a Panny plasma or Sammy LED this year and i would assume these universal glasses would be cheaper than the ones the OEM makes.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplereef View Post

I wanted to know if any manufactured 3D Glasses can be used on other brands 3D TV or does the 3D Glasses have to be from the same TV manufacturer?

Thanks.

Generally, on Active 3D TV's, you need to use the same manufacturer's glasses. There are a few brands that are universal like the PS3 glasses and Blick. On Passive TV's the glasses from the movie theater will work fine. I don't know anything about the IR systems that DLP TV's use, however.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

GEP, do you think the tv active models that come out this year will be able to use this cross manufacturer standard? I plan on buying either a Panny plasma or Sammy LED this year and i would assume these universal glasses would be cheaper than the ones the OEM makes.

According to the web site, glasses that have that marking (which are not yet available) will be backward compatible with almost all brands, including the Bluetooth (RF) system Samsung is using now. These should include all of the major IR and Bluetooth based TVs in the future.
http://www.fullhd3dglasses.com/

The Xpand X-103 are comptible with all of the major IR systems currently and in the past used. They most likely will be compatible with future IR systems from the majors.
http://www.xpand.me/products/univers...tible-devices/

I am not familar with the PS3 glasses, however the web site indicates that they are compatible with the major brands.
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/access...asses-ps3.html

While it is true that the passive glasses that come with some TVs are compatible with the RealD 3D theaters and RealD is the most common type of 3D theater around, RealD is not the only type of 3D theater. The RealD glasses and the passive glasses that come with some TVs are NOT compatible with the IMAX 3D Theaters or the Dolby 3D theaters.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Had I known earlier about 3D glasses (compabitility) I would've grab the special 3D glasses bundle from my Sony retailer. It was a 3 x 3D glasses with 3D Blu-ray Harry Potter movie package for $199.00!!! By now it's all gone as it was a one time promotion for Boxing Day sale!!

Feel so dumb ...
post #12 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplereef View Post

Had I known earlier about 3D glasses (compabitility) I would've grab the special 3D glasses bundle from my Sony retailer. It was a 3 x 3D glasses with 3D Blu-ray Harry Potter movie package for $199.00!!! By now it's all gone as it was a one time promotion for Boxing Day sale!!

Feel so dumb ...

This one?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-3DBNDL-HP.../dp/B0067W2ISW

Only comes with 2 pairs of glasses though.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 AM

Your best bet is too get a few pair of the Universal 3d glasses by Blick. They seems to work with most television models including Sony. But your tv does have to use active shutter technology.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 AM

I have a BenQ Ms614 projector and their active 3D glasses, the 3d only functions with an over under split that is corrected by the projector to view 3D on the screen. My problem is that most movies available in dual image format appear to be SBS or side by side, are their any converters that I can use to convert side by side format into over under?
post #15 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up a pair of the ps3 glasses in the anticipation of my XBR TV due to show up in a few weeks. I haven't used them yet but I will say that they seem to fit well with my glasses. They are light and when I put them on the top part of the ps3 glasses just sit on top of my glasses and the nose piece doesn't even touch my nose. Don't think I could find a better pair to work with my glasses. Now I need to decide on a 3d BR player. Been considering the Panny or a ps3. I'm not a gamer but it could add some extra entertainment. Is the ps3 a pain to use as a BR player? Are the new ones noisy and hot running?

BTW the box says they are compatible with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba and Sharp active shutter 3d ready displays that use IR emitters.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post

I just picked up a pair of the ps3 glasses in the anticipation of my XBR TV due to show up in a few weeks. I haven't used them yet but I will say that they seem to fit well with my glasses. They are light and when I put them on the top part of the ps3 glasses just sit on top of my glasses and the nose piece doesn't even touch my nose. Don't think I could find a better pair to work with my glasses. Now I need to decide on a 3d BR player. Been considering the Panny or a ps3. I'm not a gamer but it could add some extra entertainment. Is the ps3 a pain to use as a BR player? Are the new ones noisy and hot running?

BTW the box says they are compatible with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba and Sharp active shutter 3d ready displays that use IR emitters.

Been using the PS3 as a BluRay player for years with no issue. We've got 2 in the house now. One in each living room for discs and streamable content. The PS3 is 802.11n compatible, so no extra wires, and software upgradeable.

I game, but not hard core, just the occasional afternoon. The only PITA about the PS3 was that the original optional bluray remote control was bluetooth (you could also just use the gaming controller). But if you are getting a sony XBR I think, but don't quote me on this, everything should work through the X-media bar and controllable through one remote control.

Yes it's quite and no it doesn't seem to run hot. Well, the new ones don't run as hot as the 1st gens did.

Just picked up the PS3 #d glasses also. I'm hoping they work well, with my PS3 Panny combo.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just thought I'd mention that the PS3 glasses work great with my Epson 3010 pj as well and on sale at Best Buy this week for $39--a steal!

Ed
post #18 of 20 Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM

where do I find out if my tv is "active" and all that other stuff??? thanks
post #19 of 20 Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawinna View Post

where do I find out if my tv is "active" and all that other stuff??? thanks

In the manual. Or Google. Or just list the make and model here and someone will eventually tell you.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Well, Justin, aren't you a jewel!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page