SimuView Style Gaming on Toshiba Passive Display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Passive 3DTV, and I am loving the 3D in Movies and Games. I recently saw a demo of the Sony Playstation 3D Active TV Screen, and the one feature I really liked about it was the SimuView feature. This allows for certain PS3 games to have two people play on the same screen in full screen at the same time. They do this by syncing the frames on the screen with the active glasses so each player sees every other frame. By doing this its like each player has his own screen, and you don't have to use split screen (either Top and Bottom, or Side by Side). I have a TOSHIBA 55TL515U 3DTV, Xbox 360, and PS3 and thought why couldn't a Passive TV do the same thing.

I took two pair of RealD glasses I saved from a 3D theatrical movie and made one 2 Left lenses, and the other 2 Right lenses. I had to do a little trimming to make them fit but I was able to stick them right back in the frame. I then tried a few games that used Top and Bottom 2 Player split screen on both the Xbox 360 and PS3. On Gears of War 3 (Xbox360), I turned off the in game 3D and started a 2 player local game. I switched the TV to 3D Mode, and selected the Top and Bottom option. The person with the 2 Left lenses sees the top half only stretched to full screen, and the person with the 2 Right lenses sees the bottom half only stretched to full screen. Exactly what I was hoping, it works, and very well. There is some ghosting, I would say 5% or so, you can see a slight ghost image of the other persons view, but it is tolerable. Turning the brightness down a bit in the game helps, and you need to keep your head level (It seems more sensitive to tilting then a 3D presentation). There is a bit of stretching in the Aspect Ratio, but it actually works well because in Top and Bottom split screen the image was compressed down so the stretching makes it just a bit more stretched vertically than the normal view. The best part is if you are playing Deathmatch, the other person can't see exactly what you are doing, which has also been a huge issue with split screen gaming.

I also tried Halo Anniversary, Halo Reach, and Portal 2 all with similar results. With Portal 2 there is also the option of a Horizontal or Vertical Split screen. I tried the Vertical with my 3DTV set to Side by Side 3D mode, and the quality did not seem as good as with the Top and Bottom, and the aspect ratio seemed even more skewed. I had a similar result with Wipeout HD and Fury on the PS3, the Top and Bottom seemed much more natural when stretched than the Vertical Side by Side split. GT5 on the PS3 looked great with Top and Bottom, and that game has a SimuView option in the menu. It appears to only work with the Playstation 3D TV, so it was not accessible. The only game that was a bit disappointing using this method was Call of Duty Black Ops on the PS3. The Top and Bottom Split Screen on that game is a 4:3 square in the middle of the screen. When you do the Top and Bottom 3D mode on the TV, each player gets a 4:3 square that does not take up the whole 16:9 screen and the aspect ratio is really stretched vertically.

I hope some other folks with Passive TVs find this useful for their game systems. I can't believe LG and Toshiba are not marketing this as a feature of their Passive TVs and trying to hock Right/Right and Left/Left Passive glasses to use with it.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Just found this video from CES, and LG is now marketing this as a feature called Dual Play, and selling special LL and RR glasses for it.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos demonstrating this in action...

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page