Playing 3D Blu-Ray using a PC, Mitsubishi WD-82740 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playing 3D Blu-Ray using a PC, Mitsubishi WD-82740 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card

Please HELP. I want to use my (Win 7/64-bit/Intel i3) PC to play commercial Blu-Ray 3D DVD disk movies (like Lion King). My PC (which has a Blu-Ray player) is directly connected to my TV (Mitsubishi WD-82740 DLP 3D TV) via a HDMI cable. I have both TMT 5 and PowerDVD 11 programs.
I also have a 3D Blu-ray player which is connected to another port on TV and I have no issue playing Lion King in 3D. I want to return it and just use the PC to play 3D Blu-Ray. The Lion King works fine from the PC but it is only in 2D. The TMT5/PowerDVD have options for automatic/side-by-side/up-down for 3D contents but I don't see option for frame packing which I heard commercial 3D Blu-Ray use. My TV is a 3D TV (in addition to checkerboard, it can do side-by-side, up-down, and it is compatible with HDMI 1.4). I also ran the TMT utility that checks my hardware/software/TV capabilities for playing 3D and it tells me my system meets all the requirements. PLEASE HELP WHAT am I missing and NEED to do to play 3D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Liked: 13
Do you have 3Dtv software from NVIDIA?
If you do you will need to go into the NVIDIA control panel and enable 3D STEREOSCOPIC then Chanel the resolution to a 3D resolution be it 720p or 1080p. Will need to change that from 2D and 3D content I'd TMT5 will play everything with 3D.
TMT5 you select the first choice a NVIDIA display,believe it says 3D HDTV in the options. Or if you need checkerboard select that.
Not sure what your saying on taking lion king back and playing off pc only but the forums do not support illegal copying and is against the forum rules to discuss it.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_zk_z View Post

Playing 3D Blu-Ray using a PC, Mitsubishi WD-82740 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card.
PLEASE HELP WHAT am I missing and NEED to do to play 3D?

Lot of misinformation on these forums.

You do NOT need nVidia 3DTV software to get 3D unless you have a display device that uses 720p@120Hz to display 3D.

Look at the link below and the answer is in the first post.
The 3D HTPC FAQ
Look at the 3rd-last underlined question and its answer in the "table" at the beginning.

HTH
post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I want to take back my 3D Blu-Ray player and use the PC (not to take the movie itself back). that was funny...
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post

Lot of misinformation on these forums.

You do NOT need nVidia 3DTV software to get 3D unless you have a display device that uses 720p@120Hz to display 3D.

Look at the link below and the answer is in the first post.
The 3D HTPC FAQ
Look at the 3rd-last underlined question and its answer in the "table" at the beginning.

HTH

Mine needed 3Dtv to work, maybe I missed a setting but doubt it. Will check your link when not on my phone. But I installed my card around a year ago. My laptop with a NVIDIA 420m if memory serves had 3Dtv already installed/activated.
Anyway before I installed 3Dtv I did not have 3D resolution settings.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With an NVidia card, i'm pretty sure you do need 3d tv play software to get 3d Blu Ray playback on an hdmi1.4 display. You just don't need the entire 3d vision kit. If Powerdvd provides 3d playback now without the help of NVidia 3d tv play drivers, it is news to me.

(ok I read the link posted by nikonf5 and it does report that NVidia 3d tv play is not necessary for 3d Blu ray playback, only necessary for 3d gaming. It says that you only need the updated drivers, available free. That is news to me and I'm looking to have it confirmed. I suspect it reflects a misunderstanding and for sure other parts of that post contradict the report and say that 3d tv play is necessary. Many many of us here have been viewing 3d Blu rays with 3d tv play.)

Two ways to get 3d tv play. One is to pay for it and download it. The other is to download it and install it free if you already have the 3d vision kit's USB emitter attached.

With ati cards, it's another story.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Mitsubishi 82 Inch Projection Tv Wd82740
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page