3D Video Wizard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im not sure if anyone has seen this product. I purchased it being very skeptical of it as a 3d convertor for my Kuro and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Has anyone else experimented with this? I was happy with my purchase and wanted to share for anyone else looking for a anaglyph solution until a more affordable active convertor solution is available.

http://cellnorth.com/3dwizard.htm

I purchased on Amazon for $100.

Interested to hear anybodys thoughts or share display settings for use with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Is the box also the emitter for the glasses? This is a bit confusing to me. What if you want more glasses, what do you get? My buddy has an amazing Kuro plasma HDTV in his basement and was asking me if it could do 3D. Looks like I may have to update my answer to a YES - Thanks!

EDIT:
Oh - anaglyph. D'oh! Never mind.
I will continue to wait for an active shutter solution for older plasma sets.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

yea its anaglyph, but amber/blue which I was really surprised how much better it is then the old school red/blue. It's just a bit darker image then without the glasses. I adjusted my display settings to get it to look pretty decent and I am happy with it for the price.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM

Yes, I bought one also but found the glasses to be very dark. I adjusted the brightness but I didn't like it so much. Also, I felt like my right eye was shut. I had to turn them upside down. Still had trouble focusing. Was watching Transformers in 2d to 3d on Vizio LCD. I plan on returning it. How were you using it?
post #5 of 24 Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have been playing Gears of War in 3d on the 360 and it has looked great. I setup a new preset on my tv with a higher white level and different dark level. I also saturated the colors a bit more to compensate for the darker image. I am pretty happy with the results for a 100 bucks. You can also brighten the image in the 3d wizard menu. I actually darkened mine a bit to get a bit more contrast. I'd say play with it, it takes a few minutes for your eyes to adjust and I think it really works well with source 3d material.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 AM

I'll try it with xbox before I send it back. We only have a couple of 3d xbox games.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I saw this on shopnbc the other day and this is what I have been looking for. I said awhile back that if and when a company comes out with a converter box that can transform my current HDTV into a 3D tv then hell I am all in. From the reviews I have read it seems to do a good job on movies and so fourth so I am going to give it a try.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 AM

I just saw this here http://1saleaday.com/main/ for w/ 2 pairs adult and 4 pairs children's glasses for $39.99. Its a one day deal site. But, I am thinking they will have it again or it will be on bens outlet. I just got a new Samsung PN51E450. I decided on this TV to save some $. Really wanted a smart TV w/ all the bells and whistles. But, I have a Sony box that gets me all the streaming stuff I need. And I figured I wouldn't need 3D capabilities. But for 40 bucks I might give it a shot. The TV is 720p but, outputs 1080i. Do you guys think this 3D convertor would work w/ my new Samsung?
post #9 of 24 Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I got one of these yesterday from Amazon. Connected to a Sony EX710 46" led/lcd with PS-3 and DirecTV HR-24-500 box. Takes forever to get an HDMI "lock" with the PS3, no problem with the D box.

Initial impression not that good, primarily due to color shift and dimness (I think the blue lens in the included glasses is too dark). I did a firmware update which added a brightness adjustment to the little box which helped, along with some adjustments to the tv (higher backlight/contrast/color settings)

I've tried a couple of the 3D channels on D and played some of Titanic 3D and How to Train Your Dragon 3D on BD. There is a convincing 3D effect with no ghosting or flickering to speak of, but still some color shift and a bit of dimness. Watching in a totally dark room with the set in near-torch mode helps with the dimness but colors are still a little iffy (though fleshtones on Titanic weren't horrible). It will also do 2D-3D conversion. Oddly this conversion on regular HD channels like BBC America was more pleasing than on the true 3D DirecTV channels which were kinda fuzzy. Haven't tried any 3D PS3 games yet.

I only played with it for a couple of hours last night and hope to get it a little better today. No way does this approach the performance of any 3D set I've seen (and I sell tvs so have seen quite a few). If one wants to get a taste of 3D and has $60 or so laying around it might be worth playing with but If one is considering buying a 2D set and adding this instead of paying for a 3D set one is making a big mistake.

Steve S.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
For $250 you should check out the VIP Displayer. It converts to real, active 3D not the anaglyph stuff. Not sure if it is compatible with some sets.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd try it or the new 3D Now version but can't find it for sale anywhere.

Steve S.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

I've got one of these, and it works quite well for displaying 3-D content (haven't tested 2-D to 3-D conversion because that's nonsense, of course). I've been skeptical of ColorCode for years because the blue filter is so dark, but it really does work well. Just relax and let it work. The ColorCode propaganda says it works because you get most of the color info via the amber eye and the blue one just gets enough of an image to get depth. Seems to work because if you shut or cover the right eye, it does flatten out, but I'll admit I was really skeptical until I tried it for a significant period of time. And the included glasses are much better than the cardboard Superbowl/Sobe water glasses I have around, though I haven't really studied them for diopter correction or whatever.

It does make the picture darker- darker even than the other anaglyph color combinations- but they provide a brightness setting to help compensate. That does blow the high end out, so probably better to adjust your display if you can. In my case, the calibrated setting I usually use on my projector is below the 0 level, so I made another preset that was turned up a bit. (I do the same thing for shutters.)

Out of the box, it didn't work at all on a 3-D Blu-ray. Screen went white but audio passed. Firmware update fixed that. Firmware update is easy: put firmare file on thumb drive and plug it into the unit. It'll update and reboot. I had to stop the BD completely and restart it to get it going after the update, but it's worked ever since.

Got mine for $50 from woot at a recent sale.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think success with the 3D video Wizard depends a lot on the display device, one's eyesight, and one's expectations.

In my case the darkness of the blue lens just ruined the experience due to the way it altered colors in the source material--my brain just couldn't compensate. The brightness adjustment after the firmware update made the picture bright enough to see through the blue lens but colors were just not close to right--the blue DirecTV guide background turned a bright green!

What it did do is create a 3D experience--enough to prompt me to go out and buy a new 3D tv, with which I am very happy.

Steve S.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I think success with the 3D video Wizard depends a lot on the display device, one's eyesight, and one's expectations.
In my case the darkness of the blue lens just ruined the experience due to the way it altered colors in the source material--my brain just couldn't compensate.
The brightness adjustment after the firmware update made the picture bright enough to see through the blue lens but colors were just not close to right--the blue DirecTV guide background turned a bright green!
What it did do is create a 3D experience--enough to prompt me to go out and buy a new 3D tv, with which I am very happy.

Agreed. I couldn't get the right setting to make it look "normal" so I'm returning the device.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM

I don't expect a 3D Theater experience out of a $30 converter box, but since most of the reviews here are mediocre to good, I'm heading back to 1saleaday and getting a $30 box, see how the Dtv 3D channels look . A box and 6 prs of glasses for $30, I can't complain.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Do you mean Directv? I think it has to detect a 3D compatible TV for the channel to work. Unless that device does it. I didn't read anything about it, maybe double check.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Would anyone happen to have the firmware for this other than the version that was released on 9/18/2012 on their website?

I made the mistake of purchasing one of these devices and did the firmware update and bricked it. I waited about a month since 1 saleaday has the slowest shipping of any company I've ever dealt with and now they are telling me that I have to return it for warranty replacement.

I found a diagnostic mode, if you hold both buttons in on the front while turning it on it'll check the firmware, if you do it with the flash drive in it'll try to reflash it but it keeps telling me the image is corrupt that I get from their website.

Does anyone happen to have an older (pre 9/18/2012) firmware update around? 3dwizard.UPD i believe.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM

This device being anylgraph is dumb. I can already do red/cyan with 3D BluRay's using PowerDVD.

Now what I would like to see is someone making a device that will allow a regular HDTV to use shutter glasses by having each eye at 30hz/fps instead of the 60hz/fps a real 3DTV would be. (Which is what I thought this device did when I first saw it).
post #19 of 24 Old 11-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechGuru View Post

This device being anylgraph is dumb. I can already do red/cyan with 3D BluRay's using PowerDVD.
Now what I would like to see is someone making a device that will allow a regular HDTV to use shutter glasses by having each eye at 30hz/fps instead of the 60hz/fps a real 3DTV would be. (Which is what I thought this device did when I first saw it).
I saw a device on Amazon.com that can show 3D on a regular HDTV through a desktop PC (Doesn't work with Laptops) VGA port.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 AM

There are devices to do that (30Hz shutters)- HDfury and VIP Theater will- but they won't work with some devices with unreliable sync. Like my JVC RS-2 projector. And, sure, you can generate anaglyphs from a computer, but this is a plug-in, real-time converter for all 3-D sources.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well I just got one of these from Bens Outlet for $40. And I am impressed. I watched a bit of Prometheus on BR, it's all I have, and the thing works! I wish I had an HDMI xbox to try it with. Right now it's just hooked to my PS3 and outputting to my Optoma DLP 1080p projector on about a 90" screen. Still, this is no real 3D display, but it's well worth the money. 2D to 3D was interesting, I'm amazed that it works at all. How does it know what's in the foreground and background? Amazing software and does it in real time, too. I managed to download another video on the PS3 that worked as well. I did not upgrade the firmware, still not sure how to check what mine has. I get a bunch of version numbers and there's no way to tell which one is the firmware version. Mine came with in insert that said it has the brightness function for 3D, but it does not. I wish it did, a little brightness added automatically would help. Right now I just run the lamp in bright mode, but the brightness function on my projector might be a better option. Honestly I am afraid to upgrade he firmware after the report here of a bricked unit.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
post #22 of 24 Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 PM

It is pretty impressive for what it does, especially if you have nvidia 3d play and you use this with a nvidia 3d card. You can adjust the depth and it looks amazing, I just wish someone had the firmware for it somewhere.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
So just got this a few days ago and must say it is pretty cool for under 50 bucks. What I haven't really seen though is any pop out effects from it. Hubble 3D was on DirectTV's 3net channel last night and from what I read about that film is the 3D effects are in your face. I did not get that at all.

Anyone know if it would be because it was played from a cable channel and if the blu-ray 3D version would be any different. I don't care if it reaches my glasses as I sit further away then 6 feet but I was hoping for it to at least look like it was coming out of the screen. My wife saw the movie at an IMax theater and said things popped out at her the entire time.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 11
Hey man I have an Nvidia GTX 560 and a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma... With this 3D wizard thing could i get 3D effects for games and movies on my PC?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page