Can't get BD 3D from HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an LG 65LW6500 tv and built a custom HTPC with an LG Super Blue 3D drive. My only problem is, I can't get the system to output Bluray 3D (Frame Paccking) and I can't figure out why. It just looks 2D.

Here is the equipment I've tried using:
PC 1 - i3, 4gig mem, nvidia 430, win7 64x
PC 2 - i5, 8gig mem, nvidia 550ti, win 7 64x
Powerdvd 11 and TMT5

An overpriced HDMI 1.4 cable

The Tv is set for "Just Scan" which is 1:1

I've tried the ms certified drivers and the beta drivers on both video cards.

Resolution is set to 1080p/24 on PC

Has Anyone else gotten 3D working correctly? Im not talking about SBS or checkerboard.

I invented the question mark.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Why do you have an overpriced HDMI cable?

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammer View Post

I bought an LG 65LW6500 tv and built a custom HTPC with an LG Super Blue 3D drive. My only problem is, I can't get the system to output Bluray 3D (Frame Paccking) and I can't figure out why. It just looks 2D.

Here is the equipment I've tried using:
PC 1 - i3, 4gig mem, nvidia 430, win7 64x
PC 2 - i5, 8gig mem, nvidia 550ti, win 7 64x
Powerdvd 11 and TMT5

An overpriced HDMI 1.4 cable

The Tv is set for "Just Scan" which is 1:1

I've tried the ms certified drivers and the beta drivers on both video cards.

Resolution is set to 1080p/24 on PC

Has Anyone else gotten 3D working correctly? Im not talking about SBS or checkerboard.

Hi there

I recently posted this comment against a thread in the 3d displays section where sean was having a problem with his pc recognising a 3dxl as a 3d display. Since you are using an nvidia card and a non 3d vision display as well perhaps this is part of your problem? Assuming this is the issue I'm not sure what output refresh rate you should set the pc too but I would have thought maybe 1080p60? (given frame packing is a 60hz format?). I am presuming that you have a 3d vision kit or are running the software emulator that simulates the 3d vision emitter being connected - this enables 3d on the nvidia cards, its not on by default and wont work without it. You also need to be running the latest nvidia driver to get 3dtvplay and I guess per 3d vision settings will need to enable 3d in the nivida drivers. You should download the full set of latest non beta drivers from the nividia site for your card. That would be the safest bet I think. 3dtvplay is one of the newer enhancements they have added. Its no doubt had a few bug fixes along the way

Quote me

"I run 3dvision as well with a gts450 & hd66, i also have a 3dxl. I haven't done this myself as i just use vanilla 3d vision with software players but i think you might need to enable 3dtv play to use a 3dxl (or other non 3dvision 3d display) with a pc. 3dtvplay only works for movies not pc games as i understand it:

nvidia.com/object/3dtv-activate.html

Basically your pc just needs to recognise that its connected to 3dtv."

Hope it helps anyway!

Cheers

TK

TK421 why aren't you at your post?.......TK421 do you copy?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Why do you have an overpriced HDMI cable?

Sorry, to me any 2m cable costing more than 10$ is overpriced. For the record I paid $19 for it. Not $50 like some of those other cables like monster.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I tried 1920x1200/80 and the 1080P/24 settings.

As far as the 3D Vision goes, I set that up and it work great for the pictures, games other stuff but getting PowerDVD to play Tangled 3D in 3D just isn't working.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:

I tried 1920x1200/80 and the 1080P/24 settings.

As far as the 3D Vision goes, I set that up and it work great for the pictures, games other stuff but getting PowerDVD to play Tangled 3D in 3D just isn't working.

Hi comment I posted on the other thread for your interest.

You MUST have a 2.65 or above driver. 3dtvplay is what allows hdmi 1.4 playback when you are using a regular 3dtv

Ok, so out of interest I tried my pc direct connected to the 3dxl via the cheap splitter I use and got it to work in 3d (to be absolutely clear there is no amp between the two). I used the resolution 1080p 24. I tried resident evil afterlife in powerdvd 11 and it looked pretty awesome, don't know if its better than regular 3d vision (possibly less contrast) but still great. Now unfortunately I did not try this before I went to the activation page for the trial for 3dtv play above . I was surprised that it wanted a licence code even though I have the emitter. Looking through the nvidia site they seem to indicate that if you have 2.65 or above drivers on a 3d vision pc with the emitter that 3dtvplay will be "on" as its part of the install. Unfortunately I have not proved or disproved that. FYI I have the 2.85.62 drivers. My Nvidia driver page now shows the 3dxl as the connected display although the 3d settings page shows a hdmi 1.4 blu ray 3d - wierd. I noticed on the nvidia shop that 3DTVPLAY is a $39.99 piece of software if you buy it seperately. There is a link to 3dtvplay on the 3d settings page even though I have it installed (might just be a marketing thing though).

Old 02-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Ok one more thing. Looks like the "free" 3dtvplay upgrade is only available to manufacturer / partner produced pc's. Not one that you have just built yourself using the 3dvision kit.

nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

On the requirements page there are a number of LG 3dtv's mentioned but not yours (given all the earlier / smaller ones work I wouldn't have thought you would have a problem though.)

Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Another long shot hunch of mine, try micro-polarizer lcd 3d(row interleaved) setting in PDVD instead of auto detect. You probably already have, but you never know.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Another long shot hunch of mine, try micro-polarizer lcd 3d(row interleaved) setting in PDVD instead of auto detect. You probably already have, but you never know.

Yeah good call. There are a lot of display options in there. During my experiment both 3dvision and hdmi 1.4tv worked with the 3dxl. The former since the projector is a certified device i guess (but the 3dxl isnt therefore it doesnt make any sense at all really)

Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see 3Dtvplay http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html is mentioned. Not sure if you have it installed. It is needed for Bluray 3D playback. Now the newest TMT5 version 5.2..... for me anyway auto switched the resolution for 3D playback. Before the newest TMT5 I had to switch in Nvidia to a resolution of 1080P 24fps 3D compatable. Sounds like you have the stereoscopic enabled in the Nvidia control panel as well, if not that needs to be done.
3Dtv play was installed with my Laptop that came with a nvidia card. But the GT430 I put into my HTPC did not so had to get the 3Dtvplay as well. Is a free trial if you do not have it to try first.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Most likely, you are missing to enable 3D on PDVD11. Please have a look at this: (do not forget to adjust the resolution to 1920/24p.)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/pdvd11.png/

BTW, you don't need nVidia TV Play to play 3D Blu-Rays.

For games, SBS 3D movies, etc. I would recommend Stereoscopic player.

_ _ _ _ _

Chronical Tester
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

BTW, you don't need nVidia TV Play to play 3D Blu-Rays.

_ _ _ _ _

As I posted I am running a GT430 card I had to get 3Dtvplay for it to play 3D blu-ray's in full 3D. This is a card I purchased and installed. Like posted above by someone if is a Nvidia card installed by a manufacturer they generally come with 3Dtvplay installed, my Dell XP with a GT420M is a example where it had 3Dtv already added. Can check by going to Nvidia control panel, clicking system information button left, then system licenses. If it does not have 3D tv play listed it need's to be added.
I have read the all you need is a updated driver posts, which I did multiple tries and still no play back of 3D Blurays untill I installed 3Dtvplay. After enable of stereo scopic inside Nvidia and a resolution change to a 3D output 1080P 24fps.
The newer processor's that have sandybridge I believe do not need it either. My computer does not have a new enough processor to have sandybridge, not sure on the OP.
I also didn't follow your link, maybe your advising on another (plug in) that enable's 3D bluray stereoscopic output for movies. If so I appologize for my rambling.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have nVidia 430, 460 and 550 Ti.
Currently, there is 550Ti on my Clarkdale system. (i3 540/ H55)
285.62 driver is installed.

I just uninstalled nVidia 3TVPlay and 3TVPlay activation key and gave it a go again without TVPlay activation.

TMT 5.2.119; 3D Blu-Rays are working.
PoverDVD 11.0.2408.53: 3D Blu-Rays are working.

You won't see nVidia 3DTVPlay logo on nVidia stereoscopic settings page anymore.
After enabling Stereoscopic 3D make sure the resolution changed to 1080p/24.
You may need to select it manually.

We already tried this and reported on HTPC section:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=255

As for PDVD11; I need to click on this silly 3D icon every time to have 3D.
It's not a plug-in. (I didn't need to click this on PDVD 10 btw.)
For TMT 5; no need to do anything else. It automatically selects 3D and resolution.

EDIT: FYI, 3DTVPlay is a light version of Stereoscopic Player.

Chronical Tester
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

I have nVidia 430, 460 and 550 Ti.
Currently, there is 550Ti on my Clarkdale system. (i3 540/ H55)
285.62 driver is installed.

I just uninstalled nVidia 3TVPlay and 3TVPlay activation key and gave it a go again without TVPlay activation.

TMT 5.2.119; 3D Blu-Rays are working.
PoverDVD 11.0.2408.53: 3D Blu-Rays are working.

You won't see nVidia 3DTVPlay logo on nVidia stereoscopic settings page anymore.
After enabling Stereoscopic 3D make sure the resolution changed to 1080p/24.
You may need to select it manually.

We already tried this and reported on HTPC section:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=255

As for PDVD11; I need to click on this silly 3D icon every time to have 3D.
It's not a plug-in. (I didn't need to click this on PDVD 10 btw.)
For TMT 5; no need to do anything else. It automatically selects 3D and resolution.

EDIT: FYI, 3DTVPlay is a light version of Stereoscopic Player.

So you run TMT5 5.2 so do I. Grant I have limited time on 5.2 but it did auto switch to 3D for me but it also switched to 3D for 2D 24fps movies too. So for me is still not automatic. I believe you in working without 3Dtvplay but it will not work for me without it. The Htpc has a older processor forget the # at moment. Not sure what our differences are but something is different for sure.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

As I posted I am running a GT430 card I had to get 3Dtvplay for it to play 3D blu-ray's in full 3D. This is a card I purchased and installed. Like posted above by someone if is a Nvidia card installed by a manufacturer they generally come with 3Dtvplay installed, my Dell XP with a GT420M is a example where it had 3Dtv already added. Can check by going to Nvidia control panel, clicking system information button left, then system licenses. If it does not have 3D tv play listed it need's to be added.
I have read the all you need is a updated driver posts, which I did multiple tries and still no play back of 3D Blurays untill I installed 3Dtvplay. After enable of stereo scopic inside Nvidia and a resolution change to a 3D output 1080P 24fps.
The newer processor's that have sandybridge I believe do not need it either. My computer does not have a new enough processor to have sandybridge, not sure on the OP.
I also didn't follow your link, maybe your advising on another (plug in) that enable's 3D bluray stereoscopic output for movies. If so I appologize for my rambling.

I've tried this but its still not working. It must be the 65LW6500 TV or something.

Anyone get bluray 3D via an Nvidia card where their tv isn't listed on the supported list?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I've tried this but its still not working. It must be the 65LW6500 TV or something.

Anyone get bluray 3D via an Nvidia card where their tv isn't listed on the supported list?

Have you had it work with a standalone 3D player or any other 3D content ?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, and it looks AMAZING! Great TV. Glad I did the home work on it.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 AM

I had the exact same problem you're describing on the same tv, using the same movie. Only difference is that I'm using an integrated ATI chip as opposed to a discrete Nvidia card.

Basically, your card and drivers should not have a bearing on this. With Power DVD 11, click the 3d button, enable 3d and from the 3d display menu, choose the interlace option. That should do it. Don't enable 3d on the tv set, don't enable it in any Nvidia software, just use the powerdvd interlace setting, pop on your glasses, and see if that works.

Good luck