how to clean 3d rf glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so has anyone come up with a good solution for cleaning 3d shutter glasses? I have Optoma 3d rf glasses with popcorn butter on them (kids )and simply wiping does not work. Any cleaners that are safe to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-10-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhiss View Post

Ok, so has anyone come up with a good solution for cleaning 3d shutter glasses? I have Optoma 3d rf glasses with popcorn butter on them (kids )and simply wiping does not work. Any cleaners that are safe to use?

There is some information in this post here although he doesnt mention what TO use, I would suggest distilled water and a lint-free cloth if you have one to be on the safe side.

Personally, I would use 99% isopropyl alcohol very gently with a lint-free cloth but then I havent actually seen how delicate these glasses are supposed to be so thats really an un-informed opinion.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post

There is some information in this post here although he doesnt mention what TO use, I would suggest distilled water and a lint-free cloth if you have one to be on the safe side.

Personally, I would use 99% isopropyl alcohol very gently with a lint-free cloth but then I havent actually seen how delicate these glasses are supposed to be so thats really an un-informed opinion.

I am not sure if isopropyl alcohol would cause an damage to you glasses. I clean my regular eyeglasses with a few drops of liquid dishwasher detergent and water in a squirt bottle. It works great and cause no damage. I find that it works better than any of the solutions sold. Be sure to use an eyeglass cloth to dry the glasses.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

This issue has become surprisingly hard to solve. The internet has very limited info about the care of these glasses. Wow. I would have thought the net would be a buzz in care for 3d glasses. Thanks for any info you offer. My thought is a vineger / water and micro-fiber cloth? At $100 a pair I am being very cautious. since the lenses are plastic alcohol is out as I think it will deteriorate plastic.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This issue has become surprisingly hard to solve. The internet has very limited info about the care of these glasses. Wow. I would have thought the net would be a buzz in care for 3d glasses. Thanks for any info you offer. My thought is a vineger / water and micro-fiber cloth? At $100 a pair I am being very cautious. since the lenses are plastic alcohol is out as I think it will deteriorate plastic.

You could add a drop of vinegar to with a drop of dishwasher detergent in a spray bottle. The dishwasher detergent will work fine by itself. Don't use Alcohol wipes. Do use a micro-fiber cloth. You don't want to scratch the glasses or use any substance that can hurt them. I have use a few drops of liquid dishwasher detergent with water in a spray bottle and it works great for my regular and 3d glasses. I suggest that you let them nearly dry before using the micro-fiber cloth. Follow the directions posted above and don't use any kind of Alcohol.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

You could add a drop of vinegar to with a drop of dishwasher detergent in a spray bottle. The dishwasher detergent will work fine by itself. Don't use Alcohol wipes. Do use a micro-fiber cloth. You don't want to scratch the glasses or use any substance that can hurt them. I have use a few drops of liquid dishwasher detergent with water in a spray bottle and it works great for my regular and 3d glasses. I suggest that you let them nearly dry before using the micro-fiber cloth. Follow the directions posted above and don't use any kind of Alcohol.

Thank you for your advice. Sounds like that is what I will do but I will wait a few days to see what comes from an email I just sent to "bit cauldron" who I have tracked down to be the manufacturer of the optoma, vip, and monster 3d rf glasses. took a lot of digging to find out who makes the glasses for them!!
post #7 of 16 Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your advice. Sounds like that is what I will do but I will wait a few days to see what comes from an email I just sent to "bit cauldron" who I have tracked down to be the manufacturer of the optoma, vip, and monster 3d rf glasses. took a lot of digging to find out who makes the glasses for them!!

If it helps I have the same glasses and use the method I described. Just be careful to only put in a few drops of dishwasher detergent in with the water in a spray bottle. Don't rub too hard.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 AM

From the link that nikonf5 posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

BTW a lil care should be taken when cleaning the 3D glasses, here's a statement by Samsung that pretty well covers it.

The proper way to clean the 3D glasses is one lens at-a-time. It is not advisable to clean them in the same way that you would clean regular glasses (one finger on each lens), as it could damage the glasses. Do not clean both sides (front and back) at the same time as this will damage the glasses.

3D glasses actually have 2 screens in each lens, and putting pressure on both sides at the same time will squeeze the 2 lenses together, causing them to come in contact with each other and distort 3D viewing. When cleaning, use a clean, microfiber cloth and clean one side first, then then other. Do not clean both sides of the lens together.

Do not use any chemicals containing alcohol, solvents, or surfactant. Do not use any chemicals such as wax, benzene, thinner, mosquito repellant, lubricant, or cleaners. These may result in discoloration or cracks on the glasses surface and cause or cause the indication labels to peel off. Do not spray any cleaning liquid directly onto the glasses.

Any damage caused from mis-handling the 3D Glasses is considered physical damage, and it is not covered by the factory warranty.

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...5&AT_ID=234731

You guys sure about those alcohol, detergent/vinegar, spray-on solutions, etc? So it's clear that we should use microfiber and clean only one side of only one lens at a time but I'm surprised these companies aren't releasing clear guidelines for what solution we can use to clean these $100-$200 glasses.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can't we just remove any batteries, then run them through the dishwasher?

...just kidding!

According to the instructions that came with mine:

Quote:

- do not spray water or cleaner directly onto the surface of the product
- do not use chemicals containing alcohol, solvents, wax, benzene, thinners, lubricants, or cleaners
- do use a clean soft cloth like the one supplied with the product, or cotton flanel

I like the idea of a bit of distilled water and the soft cloth but haven't had to clean any of mine yet so not sure how it's going to work out. I'll keep watching this thread to see how it's going for others and what ideas come from it.

Thanks!

oz
post #10 of 16 Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Water alone is not enough if oils from our skin or even food gets on the glasses. Lens cleaner for glasses shouldn't hurt them. That and a cotton cloth. These cleaners do have a little bit of alcohol in them but safe for all optics and optical coatings. You need something to cut through the oils. Water is not enough...you just smudge the oils with water.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Watching HUGO last night I noticed some finger printy smudges around the edges of the lenses. Not very hygenic, but I just gave a good HHHHhhhaaaa of my breath on them, then and used the shirt I was wearing to wipe and viola.... I checked it after the flick and was very surprised at how clean that got them.

Old school..
post #12 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Watching HUGO last night I noticed some finger printy smudges around the edges of the lenses. Not very hygenic, but I just gave a good HHHHhhhaaaa of my breath on them, then and used the shirt I was wearing to wipe and viola.... I checked it after the flick and was very surprised at how clean that got them.

Old school..

How was Hugo in 3d?
post #13 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The 3D and PQ was fantastic even though I ordered it off of Direct TV PPV.

The flick? A little to artsy maybe for my wife and I. It was OK... 6 out of 10 stars.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
if you dont know how to clean the glasses, than either you are retarded or too anal. get a microfiber cloth and non detergent glass cleaner solution.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

if you dont know how to clean the glasses, than either you are retarded or too anal. get a microfiber cloth and non detergent glass cleaner solution.

He's neither retarded nor anal, just trying to follow the instructions. Unfortunately, in a typical AV-industry CYA move, the manufacturers have managed to list just about every oil-removing chemical as a no-no in the instructions, and since end-users are never told jack about the lens fabrication techniques, or would need a PhD to understand if they were, they must rely on the vendor to tell them what will and will not damage the material.

These "non-detergent" glass cleaner solutions you speak usually contain isopropyl alcohol, and alcohol is one of the ingredients from the no-no list above.

(Handy link: someone was nice enough to do the legwork to check out many common cleaning ingredients)
post #16 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Either slightly damp microfiber cloth or mini microfiber eye glass cloth that's less plush. Don't wet the lenses directly-damp cloth only. Wash those cloths frequently but use no fabric softener if you put them in a dryer. This method works for me for my Sony 3D glasses.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page