Toshiba not auto dtecting 3D on DirecTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a new Toshiba 55TL515U TV and is not auto detecting the 3D signal information from my DirecTV box (HR24 HD DVR). I have it connected with a High Speed v1.4 HDMI cable.
When I switch to one of the DirecTV 3D channels, I see a side by side image and I have to manually select the 3D mode (2D->3D or 3D) and format (SBS or TAB) before I can watch in 3D. Once I do that, the 3D looks great! However, switching back to a non-3D channel requires a similar process to get the TV back into 2D mode. I also cannot watch a 3D channel in 2D because of this.

I also have a new Samsung Blu-ray player hooked up to my TV with a v1.4 HDMI cable. None of these issues exist going through the Blu-ray. The TV auto detects either a 2D or 3D signal from the Samsung and automatically switches the TV to that mode/format. I can also watch the Blu-ray 3D movie in 2D.

I've checked every setting I can find on the TV, I've swapped HDMI cables to make sure that wasn't the problem. I have spent the last 5 days pouring over my manual and the internet and can't find anything wrong with my setup and all of the applicable settings appear to be set correctly in the DVR and TV.

Anyone know if there is a problem with the 3D information coming from the DirecTV box? It doesn't seem to be the TV because it works great with Blu-ray...??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just got a new Samsung 3d set and it has no problem autodetecting from my hr24. Are you going straight from the hr24 to the TV or via a receiver?

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hooked directly from the HR24 to the TV via HDMI.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The format of the 3D signal coming from the 3D player is the 1920x2025 packed buffer 3D format which is auto detected by almost all/if not all 3D TVs.
The format coming from Direct TV is most likely the 1/2 R HDMI 1.4a 1080i sbs format which is not normally auto detected since it is contained within a normal 1920x1080p buffer It could also be 1/2 R HDMI 1.4a 720p TnB format which also is not normally auto detected.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info walford. I didn't realize how "behind the times" I was until I upgraded my TV and surround sound. So much has changed in the last 5 years!! Your answer confirms what I felt was going on (without knowing all the technical details) but, if this is true, wouldn't everyone be having this auto detect problem? Chroma601 has a Samsung which appears to be auto detecting just fine. I would love to hear from someone who has the Toshiba 55TL515U to see if they have the same problem I have.
Thanks,
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone out there that has the 55TL515U and DirecTV that does not have this problem?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloTown View Post

Thanks for the info walford. I didn't realize how "behind the times" I was until I upgraded my TV and surround sound. So much has changed in the last 5 years!! Your answer confirms what I felt was going on (without knowing all the technical details) but, if this is true, wouldn't everyone be having this auto detect problem? Chroma601 has a Samsung which appears to be auto detecting just fine. I would love to hear from someone who has the Toshiba 55TL515U to see if they have the same problem I have.
Thanks,

A HDMI 1.4a 3D TV will automatically detect a 3D signal - even SBS (side-by-side) and TB (top-bottom) - if the HDMI Info Frame (Information Frame) carries the signal flag for the type of 3D signal being used. For all HDMI 1.4a compliant 3D signals (that follow the HDMI specifications) there are special Info Frame signal flags for the 3D signal type. It is the signal flag that tells the TV if the 3D signal is frame packed, SBS or TB, not an analisis of the contents of the signal (which would be subject to many mistakes)

The Frame Packing signal from Blu-ray and game consoles MUST carry the Infro Frame signal flag because there was no such signal as "frame packed 3D" until HDMI defined that type of signal and it cannot be carried on any other type of cable. However for frame compatible SBS and TB, these existed before HDMI AND can be carried on an HDMI cable without the Info Frame 3D signal flag. Also HDMI make allowances for several manufacturer specific signal flags in the Info Frame (as long as they do not interfere with required flags).

DirecTV uses frame compatible SBS 3D and uses a manufacturer specific Info Frame signal flag. When they started 3D, they worked with several, but not all, TV manufacturers to make sure of their 3D signal compatibility. Those manufacturers received the details about the DirecTV Info Frame signal flags for 3D and thus can automatically respond. However TV manufacturers that did not work with DirecTV do not have those details and require manual selection of the 3D mode.

Several cable boxes also provide frame compatible SBS or TB 3D without the HDMI 1.4a Info Frame signal flags. These also require you to manually turn on the 3D mode in the TV.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Well said, that explains a lot of the confusion related to not being able to use Auto detection and having to manually select the 3D mode.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Very well said! Thank you for that explanation. Having to manually select the 3D format is really no big deal, as long as I know it's not a problem with my set or some setting. Now that I know it is not, I am content and happy as a clam with my new 55TL515U!
Thank you to all for the sharing of information!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page