3D perspective,which setting??????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK,I cant see the differencve,Im sure there is,but figured Id ask,I have a Samsung PN64D8000,when watching 3d,what should the 3D perspective setting be set at for the maximum 3d effect,it ranges from -5 to +5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop View Post

OK,I cant see the differencve,Im sure there is,but figured Id ask,I have a Samsung PN64D8000,when watching 3d,what should the 3D perspective setting be set at for the maximum 3d effect,it ranges from -5 to +5

If "3D Perspective" on the Samsungs is similar to "3D Distance" on the Panasonics (which can be set from -5 to +3), it changes the "depth" of the 3D effect. On my Panasonic, -5 produces greater depth than +3. 0 is "norm", and +1 to +3 brings the 3D world closer to the video frame boundaries. I usually prefer -1 to -2 on my setup. Try pausing the image in 3D with your glasses on, and changing the setting to see what happens.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

ok,thanks for the info,I will try it at max -5 and compare it ,thanks again!
post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Liked: 15
My Sony Hx 909 has a dimension setting also (not home right now, and can't remember the actual label they use). I have noticed different perspectives with some of the 3D stuff I get from Comcast cable. Much to the dismay of the kids, I will freeze the picture at a particular point in the broadcast and adjust the depth perspective to "make it better". This will vary for different movies they offer, but I seldom have to make such adjustments on our 3D bluray discs. I agree with visualq... pause the picture and play with the adjustments... just be ready for the "what are ya doing" flack from anyone else watching!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

I was actually using the 3D clips that Time warner offers through "on demand",although the 3D does look 3D,I noticed the 3D effect of flying objects werent as noticable,So it might be a combination of perspective adjustment and sitting closer to the tv,thanks for the inputs thus far!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM

For what i've noticed "Perspective" option changes the way the images sent to both eyes interact and often have to be set for each title you're going to watch. It avoids "ghosting" of images if well calibrated. So I usually start a Movie, pause it, move this setting up and down until less "double images" are seen, take note of that value (so you don't have to do it all over again every time) and then show off my 3D setting to others who will not suffer this waste of time. Some 3D Blu-rays requiere more tweaking than others.

In my Samsung EH6030 the 3D image looks great (specially after i changed the screen adjustment to "Screen Fit") but I still have problems aligning the Subtitles (I live in a Spanish speaking country), in many cases they still show ghosting after adjustments are made (and I like watching movies in their native langauge). Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be the 3D Bluray player? It's set to 40" (my TV screen size) but still doesn't align the test in a decent way. My settings are Samsung TV UN40EH6030 + 3D Blu-ray player HT-E4500K.

Greetings!
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 896
I'm trying to figure out the perspective thing as well, with a sony BDB and sony TV, each with their own depth adjustments. I think they're interfering with each other. Further, I think I should not have told the blu-ray that my tv is 60" (even though it is).

I'll need to see what the engineers were attempting to do to know more. I've written several perspective control algorithms decades ago, so I'm intrigued about what they're able to even try when they cannot re-render the elements within the frame.

Simply moving the left and right eye fields farther apart doesn't completely cut it for true depth control, but they don't have access to the the objects within the frame, so that's likely the best they can do unless they involve a non-uniform stretching of some kind.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It basically controls the Z-axis position of the 3D scene. It either pushes or it pulls, but it does not push and pull at the same time. So it's not a strength setting, it's a depth position setting.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

It basically controls the Z-axis position of the 3D scene. It either pushes or it pulls, but it does not push and pull at the same time. So it's not a strength setting, it's a depth position setting.

If that were true, they what they're really claiming has nothing to do with perspective, but mere positioning? This would mean that my Avatar movie should not have had the characters stretch along the Z axis (which they do currently) but merely move in front of or behind the TV without alteration?

The eye will get goofed up by this to some extent because as the distance to the TV increases (couch position) the L/R spacing naturally closes in, but the information to each eye remains static. The only result is to give a moving sense of where the image is in Z.

If they truly mean perspective, having written the 3D perspective routines myself in computer graphics (note: not sending the info off to some board, but coding the low level routines), I know you cannot truly pull this off without control over a re-rendering of the scene at the object level itself---each and every polygon. That information is lost the moment either Pixar or the originating camera get done with it. You can crock a vaguely similar effect with TVs using the techniques I pointed out: spacing each eye information, and possibly stretching it non-linearly.

But the real question is: whatever it is it's doing, both the blu-ray player and the TV have their own 3D settings, so how do you keep the two from colliding? Further, part of the 3D settings is to enter the size of the screen, which is absolutely a spacing issue---this enters a 2nd config possibility to the blu-ray player. So it's very likely that the blu-ray is mucking with the 3D image only to have the TV re-muck with it without knowing at all what the blu-ray did. No?

It's analogous to having a device improperly scale an image before sending it to the TV to attempt a re-scale.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Some TVs call it Perspective, others call it Viewpoint. Those of us who have made stereo content refer to its actual name, Convergence.

http://www.lightillusion.com/stereo_3d_convergence.html

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page