Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I have the Samsung PN63C8000 3D Plasma and the Samsung BD-C5900. I was using an HDMI 1.4 cable but I broke my cable today (Don't ask me how!!). I do have a spare HDMI 1.3 cable in the house. If I use that cable to hook up the Blu-ray & my Plasma ... when I play 3D Blu-ray ... will there be any affect on the performance at all? I know that you don't "need" HDMI 1.4 for 3D ... but I want to make sure that there is no performance degradation or any such thing. HDMI1.4 cables are cheap and I can easily order one at monoprice ... but I do have a ton of 1.3's lying around and if it's just the same, then I won't bother.

Thanks!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
NO because there offically is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. HDMI LLC does not allow cables to be labeled with version numbers. Cables are listed as:

1. Standard or Standard Speed (OK for up to 1080p that has standard 8-bit color but not Deep Color which is 10-bit or more color). May or may not handle 3D.
2. Standard with ethernet (same as above but can be used with the new HDMI ethenet system between one HDMI device that is connected to the internet and another HDMI device designed to connect to the interent through the first device - both devices have to support this feature for it to work).
3. High Speed (able to exceed 1080p and can handle Deep Color and several other high speed / high bandwidth features) Also good for 3D.
4. High Speed with ethernet (again same as High Speed but adds the HDMI ethernet feature)
5. HDMI for automotive.

Both Standard Speed and High Speed were out before HMDI 1.4 (so could be called 1.3). The only new part is the Ethernet support and Automotive cables.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

NO because there offically is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. HDMI LLC does not allow cables to be labeled with version numbers. Cables are listed as:

1. Standard or Standard Speed (OK for up to 1080p that has standard 8-bit color but not Deep Color which is 10-bit or more color). May or may not handle 3D.
2. Standard with ethernet (same as above but can be used with the new HDMI ethenet system between one HDMI device that is connected to the internet and another HDMI device designed to connect to the interent through the first device - both devices have to support this feature for it to work).
3. High Speed (able to exceed 1080p and can handle Deep Color and several other high speed / high bandwidth features) Also good for 3D.
4. High Speed with ethernet (again same as High Speed but adds the HDMI ethernet feature)
5. HDMI for automotive.

Both Standard Speed and High Speed were out before HMDI 1.4 (so could be called 1.3). The only new part is the Ethernet support and Automotive cables.

Very detailed -- Thank you very much for this explanation; that puts my mind at ease. The HDMI cable I'm using is definitely 'High Speed HDMI' - says right on the wire. What I was referring to as "1.4" was an HDMI w/ Ethernet. I had 3 of those cables and I was using them between my three 3D capable devices. I thought that was what I needed; and today I broke one of those 3.

Thanks!!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page