Does 3D come out of screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a panansonic st30 tv and from what I read is its supposed to have pretty good 3D...

Anyways some 3D content looks very good on it but what I notice is that the 3D content never comes out of the screen (eg. when something is thrown at the screen). Instead the things that are supposed to come out of the screen just look blurry.

Is this a limitation of the technology or am I maybe doing something wrong?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The blurring sounds like cross talk or something out of focus. I noticed the snow which popped out in Hugo Cabret was blurry, i was never sure if it was out of focus or if it was the horrible motion of the projector in the theater i saw it in. It could also be crosstalk. The more things come out of the screen or the further beyond the screen they are, the more separated the image has to be to cause your eyes to cross as they should or stare straighter on as they should. Like holding your hand close to your eyes to see the texture causes your eyes to cross. So if your TV suffers from crosstalk, that could be it, or play a part.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Things should definitely come out of the screen on a 3D TV.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You're doing it wrong. Just kidding. There are some things that come flying out of the screen so quickly your eyes can't resolve it. However, I had some friends over and watched a movie. At the quick popout scenes they were wowed, but I felt underwhelmed as I experienced the same thing you mentioned. I have an astigmatism in my eyes and I'm wondering if that could be it. As far as the rest of the 3D is concerned, though, I see it just fine (depth and popout scenes that don't come flying out at me). Check out Imax: Under the Sea. I find a fair bit of the 3D difficult to resolve, but when you get to the potato cod scene that sucker comes right out of the screen crystal clear.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the responses guys
@tory - my tv is a plasma and is supposed to have very little crosstalk from what i've heard...

@blastermaster - I have watched under the sea and while the video has very good depth and the best used of 3D I have seen thus far in a film... I honestly don't remember anything popping out of the screen... only depth behind the screen... like looking into an aquarium...

Hmm... my 3D glasses are no name $40 ones I bought off ebay. Like I said depth is good... just nothing pops out. Do you guys think that the glasses are the problem?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this EXACT same issue and its driving me nuts! Samsung DMP-BDT210 hooked up to a Mitsubishi 2011 WD-73c11 that is barely a month old! I found the pop out settings on the player and adjusted them to max and that helped a little, but I watched resident evil last night and while some things popped out a little, nothing was anywhere near pronounced as the Potato Cod demo at Best Buy. Do I just have high expectations or do I need to keep playing with the settings? Or am I just screwed with the wrong choice in a TV?
Reply 3D Tech Talk