Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In January I posted instructions on how I made prescription 3D glasses here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21460362

Some people wondered if there were a way to make the lenses removable instead of permanent. I decided to try and came up with this.

What I used: Miller Nail On Corner Guard and Gardner Bender GWC-1510 Wire Clips (stick-on), both from Ace hardware; clear silicone sealant; blue masking tape; manicure tools to cut and trim the corner guard; a lighter to heat the corner guard for bending; Epson 3D glasses; two prescription lenses.

Since this was just an experiment, I used some lenses from an old pair of glasses. Otherwise I would have used the ones from Eyeglass Direct (more about this at the end) that I used when I made my permanent prescription 3D glasses.

The lenses should fit inside the slightly depressed area on the back of the 3D glasses. File the top and bottom of the lenses until they fit properly. Cover the lens with tape leaving about 3/16 exposed at the top. Tape the lenses to the frame.

Stick the wire clips to the frame with the opening to the rear. Cut small pieces of the corner guard and trim to fit into the wire clips and at the same time to cover the bare portions of the lenses. You might have to heat and bend the corner guard to get a good fit.

Cover everything that you don't want to get silicone on with tape. Apply silicone sealant to the bare portion of the lenses. Slide the corner guard pieces into the clips and press into the silicone coated portion of the lenses squeezing out most of the silicone.

Let the silicone cure.

Remove all of the tape while removing the lenses from the clips and you should have two lenses ready to clean up.

Slide them back into the clips and you have instant prescription 3D glasses with removable/exchangeable lenses.

Since, as I sad before, this was just an experiment (I'm not going to use these), I didn't take a lot of care when I did this. With more care, they would probably look a lot better. For instance, if the wire clips were glued to the 3D glasses rather than using the applied double stick foam tape, they would be less obtrusive.

This method can probably be used for other than Epson glasses.

If you don't have any extra lenses, I recommend using Eyeglass Direct (eyeglassdirect.com) because it's easy to determine the size and shape of their lenses. Browse through their frames until you find one with lenses that you think might fit your frames. They show the lens dimensions and you can even print out an illustration of the frames they fit in. For Epson glasses, lenses that fit their Texas frames proved to be the correct ones.

Order lenses for Your Own Frames. When you do this they expect you to send in some frames. So, when you order, you must let them know that you want lenses-only to fit one of their frames.

Karl S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Nice job

I'm not sure if you've seen Sugru? Thought I'd recommend for a more permanent DIY glass mod for those interested. Sugru is an air curing rubber that you can mold by hand. It can bond to most materials and turns into a strong, flexible silicone rubber when dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM

I caught this thread late, as I had all ready created a way to install prescription lenses to my active Excelvan 3D glasses. All I needed was a pair of prescription lenses, taken from my old pair of glasses, and 6 small pieces of double-sided tape.

I took one lens frame from the 3D glasses and applied 3 pieces of double-sided tape in the inside of the frame located around the polarized lenses, 2 on the straight side of the lens piece—top and bottom—and the third on the other side near to the nose area. Then I took my prescription lens and applied the sides firmly to the tapes.

In this case, my prescription lens was wider then the 3D lens, so, rather then file the lens to size like karlsch did, I just put the extra area of my prescription lens on the tape.

Then I did the same with the other lens.

Let it set for a few minutes and there you go.

If you want removable, for when your eye prescription changes, just remove the lenses from the tape and replace it. If the tape comes off, you’ll have to replace it with new tape.

If you are trying this yourself, bear in mind that if your 3D lenses on the frame are flat, your prescription lenses need to be flat in order for all the sides of your lens to stick on to each the double-sided tape pieces. Otherwise, if your lens is curved, one side will stick and the other side won’t and that lens will come off easily from the frame when you want to store it.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM

Liked: 11
good work here.

I need to DIY a set for myself and wife.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page