Can you extend the wire of a JVC PKEM1 3D IR emitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question, or if the JVC RS45 thread in the PJ forum is better, but thought that this might be more appropriate.

My question:

Is there a way to extend the wire on the JVC PKEM1 3D IR emitter?

I am currently building an HT and will have my PJ (a JVC RS45) shelf mounted in a cubby/closet behind the rear wall of the HT projecting through a cut out opening.

It's on another forum, but here is a link to my HT build if you would like to see the layout: Link.

The drywall will be going up tomorrow and I am thinking of running a chase from that PJ closet to somewhere in the ceiling right around where I would like to mount the emitter.

However, the ideal place would be where the ceiling steps up to a higher height, which is located about 1/3 from the front and 2/3 from the back of the room. But that distance is too far away for the included cable.

Is there a standard cable that I can buy (male-female) to extend this cable, or am I limited to the prefabricated length?

What kind of cable is this?

I'm not familiar with the connector on the attached cable, it almost looks like an old Apple Mac serial cable, but without as many pins. This one looks like it only has 3, whereas I think the old Mac serial cables had 4 or 5 pins.

If there is no way to extend the cable, I guess I could just mount the emitter as far forward as I can and try to make sure that the light from the PJ doesn't hit it.

But it would be preferable to mount the emitter at the point where the ceiling height rises in the front so that potentially interfering with the light path, and also being able to see the emitter from the seating area, won't be an issue at all.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The company below seems to have 3 pin Din connectors. Their price seems hight but I don't know of any other place that has them. An alternative is to use the MV glasses with the RF transmitter.

http://www.kvconnection.com/3-Pin-Mi...les-s/7576.htm

I like the Monster glasses better and they are cheaper now. Amazon has them from several vendors with the included transmitter.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The company below seems to have 3 pin Din connectors. Their price seems hight but I don't know of any other place that has them. An alternative is to use the MV glasses with the RF transmitter.

http://www.kvconnection.com/3-Pin-Mi...les-s/7576.htm

I like the Monster glasses better and they are cheaper now. Amazon has them from several vendors with the included transmitter.

Thanks for the info, rwestley!

That's just what I was looking for, at least with respect to finding out what type of cable it is and if it is available for purchase (and even info on where to purchase it, even better!).

Of course, as you indicated, those cables are certainly not cheap.

I would probably be looking at getting a 6' or 10' cable. That would run almost $35-40, depending on which one I get. Yikes! (Are these Monster cables or something? )

If I hadn't already purchased the JVC emitter and a bunch of glasses (I have 2 JVC and 4 Xpand X103's), I might have looked into the Monster Vision RF glasses instead, but since I've already made the investment in the IR emitter and glasses I think it's probably too late for me, at least for now.

Well, thanks to you, at least now I know which cables to get, and where to get them. At this point, I think I'll just have to eat the high cost of that cable as in the end I think I want to position the emitter at that location where my ceiling steps up.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Another related question, regarding the position and orientation of the IR emitter:

If I put the emitter at the place where I'm thinking of (where my ceiling steps up, which is about 6.5' in front of the screen, with the PJ being behind the rear wall in a PJ closet 18' from the screen), then which would be the preferable orientation of the emitter:

(1) towards the screen, so that the signal reflects off the screen to the back of the room where people are sitting?

or

(2) directly towards the seating area so that the signal is emitted directly at the audience? (I would have the emitter peeking just below the lower ceiling height).

My HT is 18' from screen to rear wall, with 2 rows of seating. 1st row at about 11-12' from screen and 2nd row about 15-16' from screen.

Thanks.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page