Best 3D camcorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend the best 3D camcorder under 2k? I want some pros and cons, what type of 3D it records (SBS, frame sequential) and if you are able to view and edit on a pc. Thanks for any help!

Also if anyone has a 3D camera they like throw that in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Sony TD10 has been very good at $1500, and now it costs less. The new TD20 will likely be considered the best for 2012 at $1500. Both take 3D at 1080i 60 fps full frame, not side by side, and both can be edited by Sony Vegas and Powerdirector. Both have good zoom functions and good optical stabilization, which help tremendously in 3D video. Both have excellent automatic focus and automatic everything else. Both have excellent 3D screens to monitor what you are taking. The main drawback is that the flip out screen is hard to see in bright sunlight, so you need to make a hood or sun shield out of cardboard, as there is no other viewfinder.

A great choice for close up sports video, underwater video, and very wide shots is the HD Hero 2 3D system now costing $700. It does not have the video stabilization to make hand held shots steady, but it cannot be beat for giving the viewer the feeling of being right there in the action. And when you need a wide angle view, this is the widest you can get. These new HD Hero 2 cameras record 1080p 30 fps each eye for 3D, and they will also do 720 p 60 fps for 3D slow motion shots that are very smooth. This system is the best for rendering fast motion, period. You can edit on the computer with Sony Vegas or with the software they provide free for download, but not with PowerDirector yet. These cameras are spartan, though. No screen or viewfinder is included, you just aim it in the general direction you want to record. There is no zoom, but you can step to a small variety of zoom levels, so you get a choice of very wide angle and something more like a standard 35mm view. These cameras have deep field of view, everything in in focus near and far, so there is no focus adjustment.

I have both the HD Hero system and the TD10, and at today's prices you can get both together for under $2000.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 12
I have the Sony TD10 and am very happy with it as it takes great 3D. The disadvantages are no 3D pictures and cannot see screen in sunlight but switching to 2D for screen helps. In the 3D source thread there are extensive reviews and comm ents about all the 3D camcorders available.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Any there any major difference between the JVC and Sony?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This was pretty informative for me when I was shopping for a camera:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...Comparison.htm

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page