Direct TV/HBO - HDCP and 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello - I am not 100% sure if this is the right forum for this. If not, apologies. So I just tried to tune into HBO on Direct TV and I received a message indicating that I must switch to component cables from my HDMI setup to watch HBO because my TV does not support HDCP. If I do this, I lose 3D on Direct TV.

Anyone else run into this? For reference, my TV is a Mitsubishi WD-82837. Once again, sorry if this is not exactly the right place for this question, but it seemed like there must be other Mitsubishi owners who enjoy 3D from DirectTv and HBO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM

Liked: 11
What receiver type do you have, is it 3d capable?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Since HBO doesn't have any 3D couldn't you just switch the input on the TV to component for HBO and switch it back to HDMI for anything else, icluding the 3D channels? I've only seen this come up when I was watching HBO on a second TV and the one with the HDMI connection wasn't turned on.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks to you both for chiming in.

Joed - I could do that, but was hoping to avoid going through the hassle of going out and buying component cables after I had given them away a couple of years a go when I went to HDMI. Was hoping had come up with a way that did not involve that, but it is indeed a way to go if nothing else works.

Wonka - I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 and it is 3D compatible. The 3d works fine, the issue was I would have to lose it if I went to straight component from HDMI. Joed's comment may be the way to go.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Try rebooting your receiver first. The Mitsubishi TVs do have HDCP!!! Also try "System Reset" on the TV - press hand hold the Power key on the front for 10 seconds (this is a reboot of the TV).

Do you have your HDMI siganl routed through another device (AV Receiver, HDMI distrubtor??) If yes, try direct to the TV.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If you do decide to get cables, order from monoprice, they're dirt cheap and of good quality. Also if you have any good composite cables lying around they may work. Just make sure each cable goes to the right colored connection on both ends.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page