Bat Vision glasses! 99c fix for 3D glasses reflections - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased my first 3d projector and glasses (Optoma hd33). The Optoma 3d-rf glasses (Monster Vision / Bit Cauldron) seem to work pretty well however, they have an annoying gripe - reflections on the inside of the glasses. You can see how reflective the surface of the glasses are on below picture in the left lense.

Attachment 244215

When in use the annoying reflections come from light emitting from the screen reflecting on objects behind the seating position, on to the inside of the rear of the glasses. For me this is particularly bad in the bottom corners.

The solution? Bat Vision glasses!

Attachment 244211

Attachment 244212

Attachment 244213

Attachment 244214
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Firstly I cut two rectangles of felt with and then cut two slots in the middle of them to insert the side arms. The rear slots were cut smaller than the front ones as per the size of the arms.

Attachment 244216

Then I cut two strips of blu-tack and wrapped them round each side of the outside of the front of the frames. I will probably use waterbased PVA (Aquadhere?) glue or black silicon for a better look and more permanence - but I have not yet tested the glasses for a full session.

Attachment 244217

Attachment 244218

I then wrapped the felt round the blu-tack. I intentionally left a gap in the middle of the glasses to allow airflow to prevent fogging.

Attachment 244222

Then I cut on a straight diagonal from the front to about where the side of the arms start to get thinner.

Attachment 244223
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I then cut a straight line from the diagonal cut to the end of the felt block.

Attachment 244230

I repeated the process for all remaining sides however, I did not do a straight cut for the lower two (underneath) sides but continued more or less on the diagonal. This was to leave the ears unobstructed (as per my well endowed ears).

Attachment 244231

Note - it is very important to have the small ends of the felt sidebands extending over the ears as light penetrates even from as far back as where the arms meet the ears - for my ears anyway.

I then trimmed up the felt by trial and error - they could probably use a little more trimming but I'll wait until I've trialled them.

Attachment 244232

Attachment 244233

Attachment 244234

The fitting I have at the moment provides a snug fit over my face and permits no light at all to penetrate from the rear. However, I have yet to see if the felt proves irritating over an extended period, or feels too hot in warmer weather.

Two final warnings.

1. The extra weight makes it more likely that the glasses will fall off my face when looking down (not slightly looking down but fully down). This may be due in part to me wearing prescription glasses underneath.

2. Make sure you are in a committed long-term relationship before wearing these Bat Vision glasses in front of your loved one(s). But who ever said Batman was cool - really, lets face it? On the plus side, if you're "just not in the mood" - whack 'em on!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like a great idea...Let us know how they work with a long movie session.

I can only see you with the glasses on, but am I crazy or have you been told BY others that you look like Michael Keaton..aka bATMAN ???...lol
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

I can only see you with the glasses on, but am I crazy or have you been told BY others that you look like Michael Keaton..aka bATMAN ???...lol

Damn! Cover blown.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, at 27c room temp heat becomes an issue. I have cut back the felt to allow 1-2mm gap around the face. Also noticed that if I peel back the bottom shades completely light is being reflected off my cheekbones, with very little light coming in from the top if I remove the top shades. But if I pull back the top covers heat is released without too much detriment to reflections.

Also, with the reduced reflections from the rear/face the ones coming from the front bezels have become very noticable. However, I cut a front felt surround that sits over the frame which does a very good job of eliminating reflections (totally. Only leaving the ones from my prescription glasses - which will get the treatment shortly I imagine). However, it does have to extend well past (into) the frame in order to stop light getting in. Nevertheless, it does not encroach into my screen field of view.

In fact, I'd say the Bat Vision accessory actually enhances viewing (compared with no 3D glasses) as it also blocks out a great deal of annoying periphery junk (e.g. light fittings, pictures etc.), thus increasing the cognitive capture of the screen ("immersion" I suppose they would call it).

As an observation, what a silly finish (gloss) to an otherwise great set of glasses - it really detracts from their performance. If there's another pair of RF glasses with a matt / rubberised finish then I would recommend buying those. Anyone know of any?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Was just searching for a DIY solution smile.gif

Thanks so much for the pics and instructions, will be attempting this tonight
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page