Official Omega 3D passive projection system thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #601 of 632 Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Geobox only auto detects rame packed 3d. That's why there is a button to switch 3d on if you are watching side by side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 632 Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 AM

Allthough i don't know why anybody would like to watch 3d with SBS... pretty crap compared to frame packed...ofcourse
post #603 of 632 Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I normally don't watch S by S but, I would like to try it. S by S does not work even if I force S by S in the g-501. At least I can't get it to work.

I tried comcast and vudu, neither will work. On Comsat I get a squished dual image, that I can get to stretch out or I get an error message on the Panasnic telling me to change the timing. Am I doing something wrong?

I am going to flash the firmware when I get the cable an see if the unit is having a problem.
post #604 of 632 Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I normally don't watch S by S but, I would like to try it. S by S does not work even if I force S by S in the g-501. At least I can't get it to work.

I tried comcast and vudu, neither will work. On Comsat I get a squished dual image, that I can get to stretch out or I get an error message on the Panasnic telling me to change the timing. Am I doing something wrong?

I am going to flash the firmware when I get the cable an see if the unit is having a problem.

hmm... my experiments with geobox were quite easy.. . im not shure is it wise to go flashing a product that does not even do what it suppose to do.
There is always the possibility of hardware failure. have you contacted Steve at vns ?

i have panasonic player the 500 model. atleast with that i get a superb picture. i believe you gott a failure product
post #605 of 632 Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM

are you shure you have not messed up the output. so the other channel is left and other is right.
you can output left or right from both outputs so you can have 2d with dual light output. but here it would not be appropriate
post #606 of 632 Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM

read the manual
post #607 of 632 Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the 501 should easily handle SBS. i have a lot of content that i show that is in SBS native and have no issues. have you tried switching outputs L to R to see if it is the geobox or the projector? i have not had anyone have this issue that i know of . if ti continues email steve a vns. he is good at supporting his product.

http://www.vnstw.com/en/contact.asp

post #608 of 632 Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the feedback on the G-501 issue. I have read the manual, again, tried your suggestions, but I still can not get proper S x S playback. All I can see is a squished image , about 1/3 of the screen size. It is in 3d, but not usable. If I try to use it thru my Panasonic player to view vudu 3d, I get an error message about a timing issue.

I can up-convert Blu-ray to 3d thru the panny and it works fine.

I put a couple of S x S movies on my nas for the popcorn hour A400 and I get the same result as above, a squished image when S x S is enabled on the G-501.

This must be a bad unit. Motoman, I purchased this unit from you. Any suggestions on how to proceed.
post #609 of 632 Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post
I appreciate the feedback on the G-501 issue. I have read the manual, again, tried your suggestions, but I still can not get proper S x S playback. All I can see is a squished image , about 1/3 of the screen size. It is in 3d, but not usable. If I try to use it thru my Panasonic player to view vudu 3d, I get an error message about a timing issue.

I can up-convert Blu-ray to 3d thru the panny and it works fine.

I put a couple of S x S movies on my nas for the popcorn hour A400 and I get the same result as above, a squished image when S x S is enabled on the G-501.

This must be a bad unit. Motoman, I purchased this unit from you. Any suggestions on how to proceed.
have you tried the framepacked 3d ?
is the geoboxes output resolution in correct setting ?

i think if your problem is just with sbs it´s propably something else than the geobox.. allthough hardware failure is always a possibily. allthough vns claims to use good components.
post #610 of 632 Old 06-16-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried the 3 different settings in the 501, but no luck. The output resolution was tried at 720 and 1080, no luck.

I followed the manual closely. Yesterday I replaced my two bulbs and did a complete re-wire of my system, still no side by side. I guess the unit is just bad. I was not really interested in side by side until I could not get it to work. Now...I have to figure out the problem. The curse of this hobby, I guess.
post #611 of 632 Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 AM

I know it's friking frustating when things don't work even after spending countles hours solving the problem. And usually the support and help services from manufactures don't know the answer to one's problem.
by the way did you contact steve ?
He propably could help you. And after all it's vns's problem not motomans, they are the manufacturer. Ultimately the warranty is handled by manufacturer
post #612 of 632 Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by trgraphics 

hmm... my experiments with geobox were quite easy.. . im not shure is it wise to go flashing a product that does not even do what it suppose to do.
There is always the possibility of hardware failure. have you contacted Steve at vns ?

i have panasonic player the 500 model. atleast with that i get a superb picture. i believe you gott a failure product
Well, I finally found what the problem was. I had to change scaling within the 501 menu to full screen to get it to work properly. What a relief! So happy it wasn't the unit. I have two Benq 7000 projectors and I guess it is a setting they require when using the 501.
post #613 of 632 Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

very cool. glad you found the solution ..

post #614 of 632 Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Motoman, how about those new filtter, any time soon now ?
Any chance plan ? I have gen1 dlp filtters i would like to change for new sxrd version when they are released.
-J-
post #615 of 632 Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I would be interested too
post #616 of 632 Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Liked: 0
I was referred to this thread in my search for more lumens. I am primarily interested in increasing brightness of the current mid-range lcd/led projectors in order to maintain the superior contrast/image quality of these projectors but on a larger screen (165"+). I am mostly interested in 2d performance but passive 3d is certainly a bonus. My questions:

Is this system a good fit for me- simply stacking projectors to increase lumen output (mostly for 2D)? I am looking at more likely combining two newer, high contrast projectors (panny 8000, epson 5030, sonyhw55, etc.)
Is the math for lumen output as simple as 2 projectors = 2x lumen output?
What am I sacrificing other than $$? Is contrast affected?

The big pitch on the airflex5d seems to be exactly what I proposed - stack two projectors to increase lumen output but there is no real discussion or reviews on that product. Here is a 20+ page discussion mostly revolved around 3d. It is amazing that to get the brightness I need from a single projector the price tag goes from $2500 to $30,000! Any help is appreciated.
post #617 of 632 Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the geobox 501 i offer for sale is the same as the airflex 5d unit. stacking 2 units should be pretty much as simple as adding the two lumen outputs. if you look back in the start of this thread i posted a photo of two projectors on and aligned with the warp tool of the 501 box showing a great 2d image. i use mine with the 3d filter in place even for 2d on 170" screen and it works fantastic.
as far as increased or otherwise effected contrast i dont know. i would think you wouldnt gain contrast with two untis, how would the black levels be better with two? it would be brighter though

pm me if youre interested in a 501 geobox..

post #618 of 632 Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The 501 does an incredible and fast job of aligning two projectors. I tried for days to get perfect alignment of my projectors before I bought the 501, with no luck. It now takes all of 5 minutes to get a single pixel alignment. It is truly amazing. With 10 bit processing I don't see any degradation of the image even if I try to push the unit with terrible initial alignment of the projectors. I have had a minor issue but it turned out to be specific to my projectors, or maybe just the operator.

I highly recommend this unit to anyone doing a dual setup. You won't regret it!
post #619 of 632 Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 AM

Image quality is atleast 90% or more from original with warp used. It's really that really good. There is no point of going without geobox if you are running dual proj. Setup
and especially 2 proj. Without lens shift. But i would still recommend 501 even though you have lens shift available.
post #620 of 632 Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
any LCoS should perform better with the new version. im still testing and waiting on some feedback from LCoS and 3DLP end users. i hope in a couple of months to be able to offer it.

im not sure what is meant by "The Cinema Filter increases the purity of colours(particularly green and cyan) by expanding the colour spectrum levels." where is this from ?

the output of a given projector or light engine is what it is. one can only filter or attenuate parts of the spectrum to balance colors i dont believe one can expand spectrum.
i can be one of your "test group"

just about to pull the trigger tomorrow on another hc5 (sony panels for what i understood)
post #621 of 632 Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM

hou hou... another hc5 is headed my way. Hope somebody buys my omega DLP filtters so i can order the new lcd set when it´s available... if motoman does not send me a demo kit ;D

motoman by the way how of do you think the DLP version filtters be with the hc5 setup ?
HC5 has pretty extensive configuration to work the colors. if i remember correct is has cms system.
post #622 of 632 Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hey sorry been away a little. not really sure about the new version, the company here is going thru a little change and some things on hold. i do have some sets of the version im calling Z for now. it works great on my DLP's and even great on an Lcos simulation rig i have but i have not had the chance to setup a good real lcos unit yet.
i had a guy test it with a new laser projector but that lacked way more color than we thought and didnt balance color. the new frames are fantastic but limited in supply as are the new lenses.

as far as sony Lcos based uhp projectors i honestly would try the DLP filters on them. what i do to make the current LCD filter is add a color attenuator coating to a DLP filter to help the imbalance that lcd/lcos tends to have, just on the projection filter of course. the right eye gets a slight cut in blue and the left eye gets a slight reduction of green. you can do this with cms to some degree. we did this for Sony 4K cinema units when i was making this for cinema and panavision as it was thought to be more efficient than doing digitally. works either way.
what i really need is a pair of good Lcos projectors to do refined development with to be sure my new version is perfect.

post #623 of 632 Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Ok. Ill try them when the second unit arrives.
Ill report back. If there is lots of difference in channels, maby we can arrange something,
a loan or something to test your Zgen.
I have also talked to Teittinen, you have also propably talked with the guy.
some sort of legend here in finland about HT. He has sophisticated calibration equipment, we can also try
to get the channels match by calibrating with hardware.

maby hc5's cinema filtter helps with greenS. Allthouh i don't know what is the appropriate way of lowering the light output of the projector that would have the cinema filtter disabled, as it eats some light, and when only one proj has the cinema filtter enabled the lightnes is unbalanced.
post #624 of 632 Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i would be that the cinema filter not only cuts the light down but it cuts the yellow and cyan that my 3d system needs for balance. its possible it works better without the cinema filter and with the 3d filters.. and a little scm adjustments

post #625 of 632 Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
i would be that the cinema filter not only cuts the light down but it cuts the yellow and cyan that my 3d system needs for balance. its possible it works better without the cinema filter and with the 3d filters.. and a little scm adjustments
You are propably right. Filtters usually filtter not add
post #626 of 632 Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 AM

TESTED....fast test. im on my way to a festival, just got time to build a rack for the second unit and install it yesterday.
remember i have the dlp filtters.
I think the result is better with my Lcos and dlp filtter than with my old setup, LCD with dlp filtters.
I would looove try out the new lcd filtters.
I got some of the colors better but some are still off. plus side no ghosting at all.
the left if i remember corretly had overal yellowish tint that i did not get off at all. the hc5´s cinema filtter has no effect
on on that channel. the right channel was overwhelmed with more blue when using the cinema filtter, so used them at off position
from both projectors. the right channel has a blue overal tint on it still.

i will do more testing when i get back from the festivals. i can also test my polarizers with hc5 but i will not propably compare to a ghost free picture.

motoman is right on one thing, your eyes get used to the signals after while... at the end of my test session i did not see a quite much difference in left and right channel
but as you can see from the jpg´s they are like from differet color world.
But i was a little bothered about the change in whole color universe change when i fiddled with cms and other color settings to trying to get the
left and right colors match.

i have really mixed feelings. propably with the right filtters the result is much better and i gotta say the 3d imersion is much better when there is no ghosting on 3d picture,
like with polarizers. and The active flicker is annoying. i rather watch polarized 3d than active.

...just realised i did not upload my jpgs. but i propably will after some more color correction and tweaking. when i have the time.

Last edited by Vaan Janne; 07-14-2014 at 09:51 AM.
post #627 of 632 Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM

yellowish is the left one

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/misc.p...ents&t=1467628

Last edited by Vaan Janne; 07-15-2014 at 03:53 PM.
post #628 of 632 Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Motorman, do you have any sets of version 'Z' you could sell? Thanks
post #629 of 632 Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaxbirt View Post
Hi Motorman, do you have any sets of version 'Z' you could sell? Thanks
after this "good" experience i want the z too

Or anyone anyone going from LCD to DLP ? let´s change ?
post #630 of 632 Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 PM

Someone could make color correction filtters for 3dtv.at Stereoscopic Player, that would be cool.
zorg43x likes this.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page