Official Omega 3D passive projection system thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 646 Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just watched Gravity again. GOD DAMNIT. omega has it flaws but with my current "calibration" it was like another movie to watch Gravity again. Last time i watched it with my active glasses.
The frame interpolation of HC5 makes the image much more watchable, and in 3D the low framerate of 24p is more of an problem than with 2D but hc5´s interpolation smoothens the edges and is still
watchable even in the most demanding scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 646 Old 08-10-2014, 01:29 PM

lego 3d looked pretty awsome allthough it has lot's of colours. Also gamed dead space with helix mod and it's awsome.
gotta say im pretty close to settling into this dual hc5 omega rig.
And i even don't have the lcd optimised versions of the filtters.
post #633 of 646 Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
With Omega filters on a dual-projection passive 3d setup, what do you do if you are not watching something in 3d? Do the Omega filters have to be moved out of the way? I read somewhere about internally mounting the Omega filters, and it seems that would be a problem if they have to be moved for 2d viewing.
post #634 of 646 Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
With Omega filters on a dual-projection passive 3d setup, what do you do if you are not watching something in 3d? Do the Omega filters have to be moved out of the way? I read somewhere about internally mounting the Omega filters, and it seems that would be a problem if they have to be moved for 2d viewing.
I will be setting mine up soon and will internally mount the filters in two Benq W1070 projectors. I intend to always run both projectors for 2D and 3D. My hope is that the dual projectors provide enough light that I can forget the filters are in place.

Eventually I plan to use two Benq SH940's for my game / theater room with internally mounted filters but by the time I'm ready a better projector set may be available.

If you look back to Motorman's post a page or two back you'll see he keeps his filters in place for 2D viewing on a 170" screen.
post #635 of 646 Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone help me I have a str-k750p sony surround sestem and my CD button stays on so I can't change my channels what can I do thanks
post #636 of 646 Old 09-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 2 x w1070 stacked setup (one ontop of the other)
Filters fitted inside, vns geo 201 demuxer. one has slight green tinit, the other has slight violet tint, but can adjust MOST of that out when just using one for 2d video.
Also,
one appears to be slightly dimmer/darker, but again just adjust contrast or brightness to compensate.

To be able to get them to line up really (Not perfect) I removed one of the w1070's adjuster screws sliding cover to get both of them as close as possible so not having to use alot of offset.

Only issue I find, is I now get alot more light leakage coming out of the front and side vents which show on the ceiling and side wall, seems the filters maybe the problem as wasn't anywhere near as bad before fitting them inside the w1070's.

One day I WILL make something to sit infront of the vents which will defuse/block the light, yet still allow the heat to escape.(using black spandex and brackets)
post #637 of 646 Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Just gamed metro REDUX with my sli gtx660ti rig and omega setup. MAN IT BLEW MY MIND... i coul not stop saying wow this is frikin´awsome.
I can nothing but recommend the HC5 dual rig with omega.
imbloodyskint likes this.
post #638 of 646 Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
As stated in another post, each filter adds it's own tint to the picture. For 2D content the best picture for me comes from using 1 projector and removing the filter from the front of it.

Some people do both projectors with the filters on but they must be aligned very close for that, closer than when watching something in 3D and you're burning both 'non-cheap' bulbs.

It's a personal preference. The only right way is what makes you happy.
post #639 of 646 Old 09-09-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
you are right, the best 2D picture will be with with one projector and the filter out. i have one customer who built a motorized slide to put the filters in and out and then he alternates between projectors when watching 2D to even out the lamp use.
with the 501 box and a good rack the alignment is very good, good enough to watch 2D with both on and filters in place. i do this in mixed content demos i run.

post #640 of 646 Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 PM

I'm thinking about dual projector passive 3d from long time. However I have many doubts how to spend my cash well. PS. I can use only LCD projectors. Bulb or LED DLP PJ-s give me eye strain.

My PC: AMD Phenom X4 965 BE/AMD Radeon 7770 is capable to handle Tridef playing in 2x full 720p or SBS 1080p . Sony vpl-dw120 1280x800 3xLCD business projector (not 3d) which I have gives satisfactory cinema image. (to have better black level I painted my wall on grey). Gaming: input lag is great, but 800p is rather too low and unsatisfactory vs playing on monitor.

1. grab another new Sony vpl-dw120 for 500USD or buy used (teoretically on paper very similar) Epson TH-TW450 for 200 USD. Set up at first DOLBY 3D with colour correction made by software (free testing becouse I bought 3 glasses for cheap). And have extra 2D playing in 2560x720. Next plan -> Omega System.

cons: still 800p and everybody is going to 1080p now

2. or sell my Sony and buy Epson 2030 (TH-TW5200) for 870 USD new/562 USD used - no lens shift too.
Before selling Sony try to made 720p passive. Eventually buy another used one in future to made passive 3d 1080p cinema.

Higher 1080p LCD PJ are too costly and DLP is not an option for me (eye strain).

pro: 1080p in 2D, 1080p 24Hz 3D, a little more detailed 1080p 60HZ SBS then 2x720P 3D
cons: 100 ms input lag and shutter glasses which I don't really like (head pain, eye strain)

3. Wait becouse there is not good solution without purchase a new powerful PC and 2 more expensive LCD (with better input lag) (SXRD is out of my league) and investing in 720p path especially without lens shift is obsolete.

What do You think ? I have temptation to buy 2030 used/or TW-450 used for even less, but both PJ could be somewhat different in many ways to my Sony and without lens shift. Maybe second Sony is safer purchase but more costly when going this way.

Still I had to live with some little trapezoid distortion in 3D when projecting 130' from 4 metres. (Even +-1 keystone deteriorate picture too much for me). Simply I don't want to waste my money on experiments.

Last edited by Kxtr73; 09-09-2014 at 04:30 PM.
post #641 of 646 Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

that is a lot to think about. i would stick with your budget and stay 720p for now. the keystone issue would bother me more than anything. you can change that with projector location i would think.
the dolby method dosnt really work well mainly because when using an eye piece for a projection filter and then viewing with the same for that eyes image will leave you with ghosting and far worse color than a cinema installation of dolby. the reason is the projection filter is not the same as the eye piece filter. my system is similar in that the eye piece is not the same. not a bad experiment but the results will not be great especially with LCD projectors.
LCD has far more yellow and cyan loss due to the dichroic filters that split the colors inside, that is why i make a different projector filter for LCD.. to help balance for the less than full spectral energy output.
if you could find some image warp / alignment software for the PC you could do some correction for image distortion. ? i use a geobox for doing that but i know there is software as well.

post #642 of 646 Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM

motoman.
no info on those new filtters ? are them cancelled ?
i don´t remember if i ask this already but, the bjomejag said i have no advance with lcd versions of the omega filtters over dlp version (i have), do you agree ?
i have the mitsubishi hc5 (Sxrd).
post #643 of 646 Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Thank You motorman45 for fast answer. I bought finally used Epson EH-TW5200 in EU (Epson 2030 in US) for 2/3 price of new one (for 560 USD). I was very lucky becouse it was totally new PJ without any sign of use in perfect condition.

First I tried stacking of mine Sony 800p with new Epson 1080p with Dolby glass filters (both in 1080p). After 5 minutes I made almost perfect alignment. Of course colours in every eye was different, but overall effect was good. However I found it somewhat not so comfortable to eyes. Probably not corrected colours, different level of brightness in every eye and a little missaligment made it. Watching 3D Dolby in Cinema I had not such problems. I can use fixes from: DIY DOLBY 1080p 3D, Color correction not really needed... to see how it made situation better.

Then I tried active 3d of Epson. I found it shockingly good for me. More pop then in Dolby and without almost any eye stress. I can't see any crosstalk, but image is a little to dark whith active. So for now I will stick with it. Mayby in future I will go with dual PJ passive to full 3D gaming. Final clue: 1080p is much better then 720p and active 3D is not so bad as I thought

Last edited by Kxtr73; 09-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.
post #644 of 646 Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Hi,

I am doing video design for a big drama theater production.

We are planning to include 3D section where audience would have 3D glasses on.

Projection surfaces are quite unconventional and we can't use silver screens.
We could go for active glasses, but I don't personally like them and I am not sure how they would perform with live actors.

Omega filters seems like promising passive option.

Have any one of you tried those filters with big dlp projectors? For example with Christie digital or Barco, 18K or higher.

And do you have any experience about non white (black or blue) projection surfaces?

Last edited by Jouka; 09-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.
post #645 of 646 Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouka View Post
Hi,

I am doing video design for a big drama theater production.

We are planning to include 3D section where audience would have 3D glasses on.

Projection surfaces are quite unconventional and we can't use silver screens.
We could go for active glasses, but I don't personally like them and I am not sure how they would perform with live actors.

Omega filters seems like promising passive option.

Have any one of you tried those filters with big dlp projectors? For example with Christie digital or Barco, 18K or higher.

And do you have any experience about non white (black or blue) projection surfaces?

I have an end user who has done exactly this. my filters will work perfectly for this kind of application. as long as a surface has some reflected light it will function.
as far as large projectors, my system was originally designed and used in cinema and works great with these untits. in fact better than UHP lamp home theater untis. i have large sets of filters that fit over the end of a pair of large Barco projector lenses.
its not a cheap system but it is the only way to do a stereo projection like this other than shutter glasses. PM me for details

post #646 of 646 Old 09-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
I have an end user who has done exactly this. my filters will work perfectly for this kind of application. as long as a surface has some reflected light it will function.
as far as large projectors, my system was originally designed and used in cinema and works great with these untits. in fact better than UHP lamp home theater untis. i have large sets of filters that fit over the end of a pair of large Barco projector lenses.
its not a cheap system but it is the only way to do a stereo projection like this other than shutter glasses. PM me for details
Great. Thank you for the info. I would love to find a passive solution for this, because I have my doubts how the shutter glasses function with stage lighting and real live people in stage.

Unfortunately my post count does not allow me to PM you, but could you PM your email address and I can forward it to the people how take care of the technical arrangements for this production.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page