Official Omega 3D passive projection system thread - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #661 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is anyone using a HTPC with gtx970 using dual dvi output? Just found this thread sounds interesting. I was looking at 2 x benq 1070 to do the job and using a HTPC as the source and L/R splitter rather than the geobox. Recommended or just get the box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Is anyone using a HTPC with gtx970 using dual dvi output? Just found this thread sounds interesting. I was looking at 2 x benq 1070 to do the job and using a HTPC as the source and L/R splitter rather than the geobox. Recommended or just get the box?
PM imbloodyskint , if i remember correctly he had 1070 with omega experimental kit internally installed.
Ps. BenQ lens shift is not enough. You kind of need the geobox to Also get the pj's lined up properly, without bigger compromises.
post #663 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
PM imbloodyskint , if i remember correctly he had 1070 with omega experimental kit internally installed.
Ps. BenQ lens shift is not enough. You kind of need the geobox to Also get the pj's lined up properly, without bigger compromises.

Ok thanks. I guess I can still use a HTPC for playback.
post #664 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I did manage to get 2x w1070 to line up very close to perfect, but have to sit one directly on top of the other one AND one has to have the lens adjuster cover removed to get them as close together as possible.

The hard part is adjusting then because you can not easily adjust the top one once its sat on top of the lower one.
post #665 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbloodyskint View Post
I did manage to get 2x w1070 to line up very close to perfect, but have to sit one directly on top of the other one AND one has to have the lens adjuster cover removed to get them as close together as possible.

The hard part is adjusting then because you can not easily adjust the top one once its sat on top of the lower one.
Wow ok. Worth the hazzle or go with another pj? Its just so cheap and good!
post #666 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Wow ok. Worth the hazzle or go with another pj? Its just so cheap and good!
For me, not so much.

BUT,
Thats only because I have really bad Astigmatism in both eyes, so don't get much, if any 3D pop out, I only get a bit of depth in the image, which in itself is nice.

If you don't have Astigmatism, like the other members of my family and friends, then YES 100% worth it.

They have told me the pop out is "Just amazing" and "Unreal",
they say about 7-8 foot pop out from the screen.
post #667 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Ok great. Other than the benq and optoma I cant think of an affordable solution. Trying to keep the cost down and maybe try getting it working without the geobox.
post #668 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM

I went for the w1070 due to lack of room length because with the optoma I could only get a small screen size, but with the benq I get a much larger image.

I can only comment on aligning the benq w1070 because I have not tried with 2 optoma projectors.
post #669 of 688 Old 12-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Ok thanks. Does anyone know if the geobox can shrink and stretch a 16:9 image to fit a scope screen? Cant find a user manuel. I know a lumagen scaler can do this with their non linear scaling.
post #670 of 688 Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks. Does anyone know if the geobox can shrink and stretch a 16:9 image to fit a scope screen? Cant find a user manuel. I know a lumagen scaler can do this with their non linear scaling.
With 501 you can project into a ball surface.
Ask vnstw tobe shure
post #671 of 688 Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM

My projector is going through service and i was looking at the omega filtter at the shelf and started seeing
differently through the filtter as i moved my head, and i noticed the tint seen through the filtter is different when the filtter is
in different angle.
when i last watched a movie the ghosting was zero, does that mean that the filtters are in correct angle ?
...just wondering it might ease the tintint if i would tilt the filtters differently ?
but does it ruin the extinction ?

-J-
post #672 of 688 Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
My projector is going through service and i was looking at the omega filtter at the shelf and started seeing
differently through the filtter as i moved my head, and i noticed the tint seen through the filtter is different when the filtter is
in different angle.
when i last watched a movie the ghosting was zero, does that mean that the filtters are in correct angle ?
...just wondering it might ease the tintint if i would tilt the filtters differently ?
but does it ruin the extinction ?

-J-
filters should be perpendicular to the beam coming out of the projector, tilting them will misalign them and you will get crosstalk. they look different at angle because there are multibands of light.
post #673 of 688 Old 01-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrogj View Post
filters should be perpendicular to the beam coming out of the projector, tilting them will misalign them and you will get crosstalk. they look different at angle because there are multibands of light.
Ok. Then i have my filtters perfectly.
I get absolutely zero crosstalkia with white on black
post #674 of 688 Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I finally got my Omega system set up but I'm having one particular problem.

O.K. here goes. I'm using an Epson 6010 and 6020 stacked as my two projectors with a Daylite 2.8 gain HP screen. Everything is set up and working -- the 3D looks great (even the colour is pretty good). Now here's the problem. After a couple of minutes of watching the right lens in the glasses goes dark -- it shuts down for some reason for probably five or six seconds and you can only see out of one eye for those seconds. Yes this is annoying for everyone watching (my wife gave up watching -- too annoying). I have no idea how a passive lens that you can normally see through can go so dark for several seconds that nearly all the light is blocked. After those seconds it flicks back to normal transparency and everything is O.K. for a few minutes and then it repeats itself.

I love this system -- no ghosting whatsoever and I'm getting plenty of brightness for some exceptional 3D. Just this one problem is keeping me from really enjoying the Omega 3D. Any help with this would be most appreciated.
post #675 of 688 Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem wouldn't be the glasses; as you mentioned, they're passive. It's the light coming from one of the projectors that's switching polarity. If both projectors are actually displaying an image when this occurs, then the fault lies in the demuxing solution you're using.

A follow-on question to anyone who knows: where can you actually purchase a Geobox? The VNS website is useless (and clearly in Taiwan), and I can't find an outlet anywhere that sells them.

Foul
post #676 of 688 Old 02-06-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulFoot View Post
The problem wouldn't be the glasses; as you mentioned, they're passive. It's the light coming from one of the projectors that's switching polarity. If both projectors are actually displaying an image when this occurs, then the fault lies in the demuxing solution you're using.

Foul
How do I do this -- how do I change the "demuxing" solution I'm using?

I thought this system didn't rely on polarization. I'm a little confused.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 02-06-2015 at 08:05 AM.
post #677 of 688 Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 AM

its not the glas that goes dark it´s just filtter. your other projectror stops to have signal.
I have had that kind of problems last time i swithed my crappy hdmi 1.4 cable to left projector into hdmi 1.3 cable.
it was propably due the fact hdmi 1.3 is not compatible with 1080p@60hz...or is it ? anyway problem was fixed after i replaced the
hdmi back to my 1.4 cable.

So i would advice you to have the both output cables from geobox high quality hdmi 1.4a cables. Well no need to go crazy with the price but some
little more expensive cables than the cheapest.
post #678 of 688 Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
its not the glas that goes dark it´s just filtter. your other projectror stops to have signal.
I have had that kind of problems last time i swithed my crappy hdmi 1.4 cable to left projector into hdmi 1.3 cable.
it was propably due the fact hdmi 1.3 is not compatible with 1080p@60hz...or is it ? anyway problem was fixed after i replaced the
hdmi back to my 1.4 cable.

So i would advice you to have the both output cables from geobox high quality hdmi 1.4a cables. Well no need to go crazy with the price but some
little more expensive cables than the cheapest.
I think you're right. When the right lens cut out I had a look at my projectors and it was on but not sending an image. I'll try some different cables -- thanks.
post #679 of 688 Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulFoot View Post

A follow-on question to anyone who knows: where can you actually purchase a Geobox? The VNS website is useless (and clearly in Taiwan), and I can't find an outlet anywhere that sells them.

Foul
We sell the VNS Geobox's !! i have the 501 and the 201 demux boxs on hand..

post #680 of 688 Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
How do I do this -- how do I change the "demuxing" solution I'm using?

I thought this system didn't rely on polarization. I'm a little confused.

you either have to demultiplex the 3d image using a PC with a dual out video card and software or a demultiplexer like the Geobox and others.
our system is not a polarizing system, it optically demultiplexes the light using dielectric filter coatings.

post #681 of 688 Old 02-12-2015, 12:22 AM

come on motoman. It´s time for those new filtters ! I can´t stand it anymore.
hope my motivation helped ;D

ps. with hc5 the dynamic mode gives about the best color balance. allthough i don´t know if one
can get to the same settings using user. it´s quite hard to start with user and without any tools
trying to get the colors match. and the other filtter cuts more light to my oppinnion so hc5´s adjustable
iris great to balance the light output. So it´s pretty good but it always can be better so that´s why im eager.
and the oculus rift is coming. when released i might be giving up the passive and go VR all the way.

-J-
post #682 of 688 Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

im not sure when i can get to a new version at the moment. i have a very large passive 3d project i cant talk about that takes all my machine time. got to do what pays first. ........lasers....
i dont get the oculus rift thing. its a heads up display plain and simple. not new at all and been done by others just a small tweak on the geometry and better displays. not to be shared with others in the same room. i would think a home made cave would be better or a half cave with a curved dome like screen, thats been done too and is as immersive as a HUD.

post #683 of 688 Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
im not sure when i can get to a new version at the moment. i have a very large passive 3d project i cant talk about that takes all my machine time. got to do what pays first. ........lasers....
i dont get the oculus rift thing. its a heads up display plain and simple. not new at all and been done by others just a small tweak on the geometry and better displays. not to be shared with others in the same room. i would think a home made cave would be better or a half cave with a curved dome like screen, thats been done too and is as immersive as a HUD.
it´s the head tracking that makes it the bomb. ofcourse it needs to be spot on.
it´s the fact you can look behind your shoulder. ok curved dome that extends around you also would pretty much do it.
and in 3d gaming the imersion is even better with screen if you move closer to screen so the image fills your field of view.
post #684 of 688 Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:

dynamic mode gives about the best color balance. allthough i don´t know if one
can get to the same settings using user. it´s quite hard to start with user and without any tools
trying to get the colors match. and the other filtter cuts more light to my oppinnion so hc5´s adjustable
iris great to balance the light output.

-J-
I know what ya mean about one filter cutting out more light then the other resulting in lighter/darker images and colours between images.
Another thing I have noticed is that one filter seems to give more over saturated colours or add I THINK its called luminance to colours.

I am trying to look into if bulbs wavelength can affect filters because I noticed that the w1070 in ISF mode has 1-6 wavelength settings/adjustment, so it must be in ISF menu only for a reason???
Just need to try and findout why it has adjustable wavelength and what affects it has to the screen image??

Last edited by imbloodyskint; 02-19-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #685 of 688 Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bulbs dont have adjustable wavelengths. maybe the filter wheel has adjustments that appear to make color variation. UHP bulbs lack red performance oveall but sometimes its the native spectral output of the projector that creates more color imbalance than other units. JVC has this issue with my filters more so than some DLP i run. i have near ideal brightness and color balance with my optomas. but not the best with a pair of cheap infoucus projectors i have.

post #686 of 688 Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
bulbs dont have adjustable wavelengths. maybe the filter wheel has adjustments that appear to make color variation. UHP bulbs lack red performance oveall but sometimes its the native spectral output of the projector that creates more color imbalance than other units. JVC has this issue with my filters more so than some DLP i run. i have near ideal brightness and color balance with my optomas. but not the best with a pair of cheap infoucus projectors i have.
You should start making custom bulbs for us 😛
post #687 of 688 Old 02-23-2015, 02:36 PM

Anyone in europe interested to buy my omega dlp filtters, so
I can buy the LCD versions ? Private mail me.
post #688 of 688 Unread Today, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Wish I had the skills to get my 2 w1070 to match up brightness and colours alot more.
Mainly because I use one now and again to watch 2d and for pc and the green or violet tint from each 3d filter drives me mad and one being darker then the other.
Maybe time to try play with the ISF night or day presets?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page