Official Omega 3D passive projection system thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #721 of 733 Old 10-26-2015, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
sorry someone hacked my account and edited my entries. there is no law suit against me, I no longer work at omega optical nor do I support this product I created and developed. I hope those of you who have the system like it, not sure where it will go in the future.
cheers. out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 733 Old 10-27-2015, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So if anyone is interested in a Dolby 3D / Infitec decoder to get passive 3D, here is a rare opportunity:

For Sale: Infitec Dolby 3D passive dual-projector setup
Ag4t likes this.
post #723 of 733 Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
sorry someone hacked my account and edited my entries. there is no law suit against me, I no longer work at omega optical nor do I support this product I created and developed. I hope those of you who have the system like it, not sure where it will go in the future.
cheers. out
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you aren't with Omega optical anymore. Please do stick around AVS though as you have plenty of knowledge about 3D passive systems!
post #724 of 733 Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
cheers. out
ROLF i won´t buy that for a second.
post #725 of 733 Old 02-25-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone know if this system is compatible with the new crop of LED or Laser projectors.

Was looking at getting 2 of the LG1500 LED for a quick 3d setup.
post #726 of 733 Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 975
When I asked about LED before, motorman said no, since the primaries are too pure (narrow spectrum).
post #727 of 733 Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Too Bad, Is motorman gone from omega.
post #728 of 733 Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
Anyone know if this system is compatible with the new crop of LED or Laser projectors.

Was looking at getting 2 of the LG1500 LED for a quick 3d setup.
Won't work with LED or laser projectors

Best spectrum for Omega is with DLP projectors, throw ratio of 1.5:1 or better
post #729 of 733 Old 04-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrogj View Post
Won't work with LED or laser projectors
Best spectrum for Omega is with DLP projectors, throw ratio of 1.5:1 or better
To be more precise : Omega is designed for professional DLP projectors with Xenon lamp.
If I remember correctly, the "LCD" version of the Omega filter is a modified filter for one specific professional LCD projector with Xenon lamp (probably a Sony SXRD cinema projector).
The further away from these wide spectrums your projector is, the worse the colour will get.

For consumer projectors which use UHP (Mercury) lamps, there can be huge variations from one projector model and from one lamp model to an other since manufacturers don't care much about their output spectrum. But if you want to try out a new projector nobody tested, the DLP filter with a DLP projector has the best chance of turning out right.

LED projectors change a lot year over year since high intensity LEDs are being constantly improved.
The current LED output spectrum doesn't fare well with Omega but there is no way to predict how future LED technology will improve and how manufacturers will implement them : it is perfectly possible to make a LED arrangement that will output a wide spectrum (like what's done for "natural light" lamps), but there is very little incentive for projector manufacturers to implement one.

Laser direct output provides a single wavelength per primary colour : it is fundamentally incompatible with Omega.
Laser to phosphor is different, it does output a spectrum but I am not familiar with phosphor output spectrum so I'd say all bets are off.

There is a way to turn a direct laser single wavelength output into a spectrum but projector manufacturers will probably never implement this technique because it's completely foreign to this usage domain : it requires high power ultra-short burst lasers (think femto-second) and all research in this area is concentrated in reducing the apparition of spectrums to keep a clear single wavelength (for long-distance fibre optics communication).

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 04-28-2016 at 11:49 PM.
post #730 of 733 Old 04-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
new name but I decided id see what my old project was up to despite not being at omega anymore. I lost my account access so I made this new account.
I see the discussion is still going on but a lot was done in the last two years. yes the Omega 3D was originally made for xenon and the a version was made for sony sxrd but that is no the product exactly as sold to home theater users. I worked on refining the filters to work with UHP. some Laser phosphor pro AV units work with my filters but due to that lack of deep blue and violet there is a yellow hue in the left eye.
An LED projector could work very well with Omega 3D if more than 3 colors were used in the LED arrays. I was working with someone on this but all that ended. a Laser system is possible with the cooperation of the light engine maker.
the existing 6P laser 3D systems would not work at all for color balance if it were not for digital color processing, ive seen it first hand. there is no native color balance as in the omega filter system with a good broad source UHP or xenon setup.

there are few was to make a passive stereo 3D home system any easier than using omega filters and inexpensive UHP/DLP projectors. with the right projectors in a dark room the extinction and clarity and lack of eye strain is hard to match. ive seen some good polarizing systems but the screen cost, hotspotting, light ghosting and the eye strain that comes with that dosnt compare to a good setup of omega 3d filters.
motorman45
post #731 of 733 Old 05-21-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I seem to be missing something... what is splitting the signal out to the two projectors so that each one is only projecting for one eye?
post #732 of 733 Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
I seem to be missing something... what is splitting the signal out to the two projectors so that each one is only projecting for one eye?
demultiplexer or your choise. Geobox www.vnstw.com or 2 x 3dxl (optoma) or lumagen lut boxes. and others.
post #733 of 733 Old 05-30-2016, 12:40 PM

has anyone tried the cheap epsons ? eu 5210 ect. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page