Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 631 Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
mounting them above the screen is a great way to go, it gives you room to sit, you will get about an 8' wide image or 110" diaganol 16:9 image. no problem mounting the filters , its just a matter of you building a rack or finding one and making some small brackets to mount the filters close to the lens, some like to use a mount that they can flip out of place to run one unit unfltered in 2d. if you can mount the pair about a foot or so above the top of you screen you wont need lens shift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 631 Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Omega 3D kit ordered and bought another Optoma HD20!

Now the long wait begins (shipping to Norway usually takes time...)
post #183 of 631 Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVertigo View Post

Omega 3D kit ordered and bought another Optoma HD20!

Now the long wait begins (shipping to Norway usually takes time...)

Im glad you ordered it. it will work great with these projectors. when stting it up ask me for help if needed. the filters need to be close to the projector and at a 90 deg angle to the light beam, this is about 5-7 deg angle from the face of the lens as the image comes out not in a straight line from the lens. and if you make adjustments to colors for 3d make sure you are looking thru the glasses to make adjustments and you will get Very near perfect color balance. using the test pattern with the greay background and the L and R in the center makes for the best way to balance any slight color differance. the test patterns with color bands can lead you to over adjust colors and not get the ease of viewing and balance, its just included on a cd becuase some asked for it. yours is not the first kit ive sent to Norway smile.gif

post #184 of 631 Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM

Liked: 11
I hope this doesn't seem too ridiculous to ask, and maybe not even an appropriate thread. But I am a little concerned with using two ViewSonic Pro8200's. See, I bought an Acer 5360, and planned on buying another one to use with the Omega system. But I was extremely unimpressed with the 5360's 2D performance. So I decided that I would go with two pro8200's for the Omega system. Well, my budget only allows me to buy one projector for now, and I have to wait to buy my next one. So I ordered one 8200 and paired it up with the Acer in the Omega system, but they didn't work together because the display the image a frame or two apart. I did freeze frame and slow motion (which was stunning!) but could not watch real-time video. Now my concern is will I have trouble with sync between two 8200's? Is it normal for two different brands to be off like that? Do they just make the 8200's a little slower, but all 8200's display the same?

The reason I am so concerned is because I took my Acer when I first got it and paired it up with my old 720p projector (Mits hc1600) and tried out the Omega 3D system. It looked pretty good, although it was hard to get the two drastically different projectors matched up well in brightness, contrast, shadow detail, which means that on some scenes my eyes had to fight each other. However, they sync perfectly.

focus
post #185 of 631 Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chef View Post

I hope this doesn't seem too ridiculous to ask, and maybe not even an appropriate thread. But I am a little concerned with using two ViewSonic Pro8200's. See, I bought an Acer 5360, and planned on buying another one to use with the Omega system. But I was extremely unimpressed with the 5360's 2D performance. So I decided that I would go with two pro8200's for the Omega system. Well, my budget only allows me to buy one projector for now, and I have to wait to buy my next one. So I ordered one 8200 and paired it up with the Acer in the Omega system, but they didn't work together because the display the image a frame or two apart. I did freeze frame and slow motion (which was stunning!) but could not watch real-time video. Now my concern is will I have trouble with sync between two 8200's? Is it normal for two different brands to be off like that? Do they just make the 8200's a little slower, but all 8200's display the same?

The reason I am so concerned is because I took my Acer when I first got it and paired it up with my old 720p projector (Mits hc1600) and tried out the Omega 3D system. It looked pretty good, although it was hard to get the two drastically different projectors matched up well in brightness, contrast, shadow detail, which means that on some scenes my eyes had to fight each other. However, they sync perfectly.

sync issues could be the projectors video processors or what you are using to demultiplex the 3d content with. my guess is its the missmatch in projectors. i have not had this issue with two of the same projector in any setup ive built and ive used both an Nvidia card in a PC to demux and both the Geobox 501 and 201 demultiplexers. you should not have the issues with the two 8200's... i do now have the 201 demux box's for sale at 699$

post #186 of 631 Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM

Motorman, where do you put 201 for sale? could you post the link? thanks.
post #187 of 631 Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwang90 View Post

Motorman, where do you put 201 for sale? could you post the link? thanks.

i will list it soon on ebay but you can pm me too and i can arrange a sale that way as well. i just got done testing one and it works very well.

post #188 of 631 Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would ques the different input lag of the 2 different projectors might be the case if the pictures don´t sync. Well that´s just a hunch
post #189 of 631 Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM

I've seen, there already have been discussions using two Benq W1070 for the omega system (DLP, good brightness, lens shift). Has anyone experience with this configuration yet? I worry a little about the throw angle, as it's quite large (min, 40 degree full angle, corner-to-corner, http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm). Will this be an issue with the filters (in terms of crosstalk in non-center image regions)?
post #190 of 631 Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiwahnilli View Post

I've seen, there already have been discussions using two Benq W1070 for the omega system (DLP, good brightness, lens shift). Has anyone experience with this configuration yet? I worry a little about the throw angle, as it's quite large (min, 40 degree full angle, corner-to-corner, http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm). Will this be an issue with the filters (in terms of crosstalk in non-center image regions)?

this projector has a throw range of 1.15 to 1.5 :1 and at the shortest throw you may have some spectral shift at the edges to make for some change but at the 1.5:1 throw it will work fine. im using a pair of optoma hd20's that are 1.5:1 throw at its widest zoom and there is no issue at all with performance all the way across the screen with the omega filters

post #191 of 631 Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Is an internal mounting of the filters a preferable choice to get best results? I mean getting the filters vertically in the light path won't be that hard (I performed a lot of successful device - surgerys).
In any filter configuration, does the back reflected light affect the lamp lifetime in some way? It seems that much light gets back into the projector and must be absorbed somewhere.

Another related thing: Concerning the demultiplexer: e.g. Geobox or Optoma 3D-XL. Is there any trouble with HDCP when watching newer blurays? Do these demuxer have an internal HDCP validation or is this signal forwarded to just one projector? I guess a PC-dual-VGA solution won't work with HDCP, even if the software player does support it!?
post #192 of 631 Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Is an internal mounting of the filters a preferable choice to get best results? I mean getting the filters vertically in the light path won't be that hard (I performed a lot of successful device - surgerys).
In any filter configuration, does the back reflected light affect the lamp lifetime in some way? It seems that much light gets back into the projector and must be absorbed somewhere.

Another related thing: Concerning the demultiplexer: e.g. Geobox or Optoma 3D-XL. Is there any trouble with HDCP when watching newer blurays? Do these demuxer have an internal HDCP validation or is this signal forwarded to just one projector? I guess a PC-dual-VGA solution won't work with HDCP, even if the software player does support it!?

your very welcome. back reflection is not an issue and will not damage the lamp or projector, the filters do not reflect IR or thermal energy. these filters will withstand more heat though than the projector itself so internal mounting is ideal if you can do it right. there are some pics on here of someone doing just that. the filters can be unmounted and cut if you so desire i can also sell you some scraps just pm me and ill set something up.
originally these filters were designed for a wheel that was placed at the focal point of an 8000w xenon arc lamp inside cinema projectors so heat, reflection and all that are no issue. i have built many small dual passive rigs now and not had any issues with the reflected light causing any problems.

as far as HDCP the geobox, vip demux and 3d-xl all should have no issue with blueray, a lot on here have been doing just that with all of these. there are HDCP settings in the geobox on a hidden setup menu ive seen so i know this has been setup to run right from a BD player to the projectors. there are some on here who have played BD disks on an HTPC with dual head video cards and the stereoscopic player but you should go to their site and read about it. i believe its 3dtv.at

post #193 of 631 Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
As far as I know stereoscopic player cannot playback BluRay discs directly, you have to remove the AACS protection first with a BluRay 3D ripping software, or a real-time decrypter software. Then the player can play individual files on the disc, but it doesn't work like an actual BluRay player.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #194 of 631 Old 03-01-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #195 of 631 Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sold already, sorry ... i will list more Very soon again

post #196 of 631 Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

here is the answer about the geobox being HDCP ... yes it is

post #197 of 631 Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Can these filters be used in combination with a projector that has a fisheye mounted in fromt of it?
I understand that it will not be possible to mount the filter in front of the fisheye lens because of the width angle.
But when we could manage to put the filter somewhere inside the projector, would that work?
Or does the fisheye introduce some problems?
post #198 of 631 Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 18
Interesting stuff. It has been years since I played with stereoscopic player, but now I'm curious about it again.
post #199 of 631 Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Jansen View Post

Can these filters be used in combination with a projector that has a fisheye mounted in fromt of it?
I understand that it will not be possible to mount the filter in front of the fisheye lens because of the width angle.
But when we could manage to put the filter somewhere inside the projector, would that work?
Or does the fisheye introduce some problems?

Hi Cor
yes you can place them behind a fish eye lens. they work best at beams of f2 or slower. but if placed inside a projector before the optical integrator they will function at faster f numbers. the filters tehmselves can take almost any amount of heat a projector can make. originally these filters were used at the focus of a 7000 watt xenon lamp as a rotating wheel for cinema.

post #200 of 631 Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all, I've been using these for a while with 2 old barco light cannons, with the filter mounted before the lens. It has been a nice system for outdoor 3d showings (every weekend during the summer). Has anyone tried mounting them inside the lamp compartment. I think many projectors have enough room in there to place the omega lens directly after the lamp. Would the system still work with such a placement? Could the lens stand up to such heat? And finally, would the Omega lens somehow reflect tons of light back into the bulb and cause it to overheat and explode prematurely? Thanks for entertaining my crazy questions. Mounting before the lens is not, however, crazy, and is an awesome choice when possible.
post #201 of 631 Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the way you have them 3dmaven is ideal in that the filters are in a low F# place inside those light cannons. you can place them right at the lamp before the integrator as well as that is where we mounted them as wheels inside cinema projectors. the filters do not have any effect on the lamp from the reflected light and will stand up to the heat. im not sure about the rtv that holds the filters on the mounting frame, it should but i have not done that yet. we had these exact type of filter right at the focus of a 7000w xenon arc lamp for many hours with no issues.
the main differance is that we had them in a wheel and some cooling effect takes place from its rotation. i have mounted them right in front of 500 w xenon lamps with no ill effects in a stationary mount with only high temp tape holding them. worked fine. one advantage of having the filter before the optical integrator is that the color uniformity is perfect and not affected at all by the throw of the lens.

post #202 of 631 Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 18
It is not my intention to derail this thread, but a while ago there was a rumor of a passive conversion kit for Mitsubishi rear projection dlp's. Has anything come of this, or was it just rumor?
post #203 of 631 Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

we have some G-501's now and more G-201's on the way

post #204 of 631 Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a photo of native color balance with the Optoma HD20's im curretnly using. this was a question that came up again so i wanted to post a new pic of it. the colors are set at factory with the brightness mode on. the left color bands are the left image and the right in just the right image. these are without an eye filter of course and the colors are slightly better when viewd thru the glasses.

there is a bit of stray light in the room as it was mid day and i cant cover all the windows. image is about 170" on my matt white screen with the two 1700 lumen dlp's and of course my omega 3d filters.

and here is an image with these setting showing red performance , sorry its not sharper

post #205 of 631 Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM

test.
post #206 of 631 Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM

test, sorry
post #207 of 631 Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Hi,
I plan to assemble the system on two Benq 1080 ST projectors . Can I fit your filters on their ultra-short optics? I plan view on screen ( painted wall) 7x3 metres from a distance of 4 metres.
Omegabob2 - this your account on ebay? I wrote you a question there. I need DLP filters, 5 pair glasses and user guide about alignment.
post #208 of 631 Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS422 View Post

Hi,
I plan to assemble the system on two Benq 1080 ST projectors . Can I fit your filters on their ultra-short optics? I plan view on screen ( painted wall) 7x3 metres from a distance of 4 metres.
Omegabob2 - this your account on ebay? I wrote you a question there. I need DLP filters, 5 pair glasses and user guide about alignment.

Hi
im glad your interested in the 3d kit. these benq 1080st projectors will cause some issues with a chromatic filter system like ours, the throw is so short that color and extiction may be affected to the edges. we reccomend a throw of 1.5:1 to 2:1 , ut us possible for it to work down to throws of 1:2:1 but not as well as the range stated.
your also looking at a Very large image, these projectors usually are used as less than 3.5 meters distance. the ebay account is owen by my company. you should get an answer to any question fairly quickly. we have listings for the kit you asked for as well as other packeges with demultuiplexers. if you have not gotten the projectors yet and you would like to use our optics i would reccomend a benq 1070 that is not so short of a throw.

post #209 of 631 Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 AM

But I need 7 metres screen width. Benq1070 give 5 metres screen only ( from 6 metres distance). My room is 6x7 metres. What can I do?
I have not bought 1080 ST yet. At the moment I'm looking Benq LW61ST from a distance of 4 meters with shutter glasses...
post #210 of 631 Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

its not that the filters will not work at all on such a short throw but you may be dissapointed at the color and image on the outer %20 of the screen to each side mostly. you have a small space to fit this in.

one option would be to use a mirror to bounce the image off so you get a longer throw in a short space. then use the w1070 pair

this is just like how one dose a rear projection VR system. google rear projection setups and you will see what i mean.

you also would be best off to use a video demultiplexer that has digital image warp/alignment like the geobox 501.. in order to get alignment spot on.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page