Verifying if DVD is 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ordered and received the Under The Sea 3D Blu-ray from WOWHD.
The disc was delivered in an envelope from Hong Kong.
It states that it's 3D Blu-ray on both the package and right on the disc label itself.
But it won't play in 3D. In fact it plays in 2D only and in the menu there's no choice of 3D or 2D.
All my other 3D discs play fine on my Samsung TV and 3D blu-ray player.

Is there a way to see if the disc is really 3D or not? Are 3Ds a different file format compared to 2D perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most 3D discs will be Blu-Ray, not DVD. Yes, the file format is different for 3D than for 2D. If you download Stereoscopic Player (free trial version) for your PC and run your disc through your PC with your 3D display hooked up to it, you might be able to see what kind of 3D your DVD has on it.

Some of the 3D file formats look the same as 2D formats when you look at their file names in a directory. Examples of those would be side-by-side, top-bottom, and interleaved. Those would also be the most likely ones to be on a DVD, so viewing it through Stereoscopic Player would probably be the easiest way to find and use the particular 3D format used.

Or, maybe your DVD has an anaglyph 3D format which uses the colored glasses. That would not utilize the 3D display for 3D - it would work as well as it can work on any kind of color display.

The 3D on Blu-Ray disks has a different format from 2D, and you can identify that by looking at the files in the directory, if you know what to look for. Almost surely, a DVD would not have that frame packed file format, though, as there would not be enough room on a DVD for very many minutes of 3D video in that format.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 44
3D BDs are encoded using the AVC MVC codec
post #4 of 20 Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
are you for sure its BD disc? try playing it in your DVD player, if it works, Id ask for a refund...
post #5 of 20 Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Does the disk have the official Blu-Ray 3D logo on it?
See:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/06/bl...logo-unveiled/
post #6 of 20 Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it has the official Logo.
I borrowed a friend's copy and it looks exactly the same. His works perfectly.

Sort of a bit bothersome that even though one buys a product from one's own country the product and the customer service are all from overseas.
I have to ship the disc back to China.
They'll credit me the shipping charges.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
having an official logo "printed" on the disc does not make it legit...
post #8 of 20 Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

having an official logo "printed" on the disc does not make it legit...

This. Your disc sounds like a bootleg done in DVD format or on BD, but without the 3D-format files.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #9 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Liked: 37
im just going out there and saying i burn 3d movies on a regular 4.7 dvd disc and it works perfect in regular player or a 3d player in SbS just convert image on tv settings bam so im just saying somebody mentioned the 3d file could not fit on a dvd disc wink.gif which is incorrect
post #10 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47

I believe they were referring to high definition 3D.  SbS 3D is two half frames (960x1080) squeezed into one.  Half the lines for each eye are thrown away to make it work.  The same can be done for SD on a DVD, but the resolution is even lower.

Bluyray3D is two full 1920x1080 frames packed into a special frame size not compatible with DVD.  Each eye sees its own individual full 1920x1080 image.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #11 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 AM

ok yes that makes more sense but to be honest im perfectly fine with the sbs and saving 25-40 per one disc. its hd and picture is perfect/clear. Question for you what is the correct term for the full 1920x1080 version full sbs?!?!? But either way good deal just send the disc back and cop another copy
post #12 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Full SBS is often called 1080p Frame sequential or 1080p page skipping. Half Sbs is known as HDMI1.4a 1080i sbs.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

ok yes that makes more sense but to be honest im perfectly fine with the sbs and saving 25-40 per one disc. its hd and picture is perfect/clear. Question for you what is the correct term for the full 1920x1080 version full sbs?!?!? But either way good deal just send the disc back and cop another copy

Maximum resolution possible with DVD is 720×480/720×576 (480i/576i) 9.8Mbps, which is NOT HD.  You then divide that in half when you compress to SbS.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #14 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Maximum rsolution possible with DVD is 720×480/720×576 (480i/576i) 9.8Mbps, which is NOT HD.  You then divide that in half when you compress to SbS.

i suppose let me reword the the picture is excellent after im finished with it. now obvisously i can redo them on blueray with bigger files etc to improve on quality even more but trust me when i tell you they look smashing not dull in anyway. either way it can be done and long a thread starter gets issues resolved we are all happy
post #15 of 20 Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

i suppose let me reword the the picture is excellent after im finished with it....but trust me when i tell you they look smashing not dull in anyway...
Trust me (one of my favorite internet sayings biggrin.gif) a 1/2 resolution DVD image would not be "smashing" in any stretch to me or >98% of the people on this forum. You must have a small TV and sit far (several screen widths) back to consider a DVD image "not dull in anyway" compared to a BD.eek.gif
post #16 of 20 Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Trust me (one of my favorite internet sayings biggrin.gif) a 1/2 resolution DVD image would not be "smashing" in any stretch to me or >98% of the people on this forum. You must have a small TV and sit far (several screen widths) back to consider a DVD image "not dull in anyway" compared to a BD.eek.gif

nope sorry i have serveral tvs from 60" and on up to 80" smile.gif i never said they can compete with blue ray quality images i said they were excellent again if i felt compelled i can redo all my 3d movies on blue ray and get so called better resolution come on now one can always do better but these are very good and show great. thats the beauty of the world we live in im not 98% of the "people" we are all different certain movies demand blue ray for sure and when i feel like it is needed ill burn as such.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nope sorry i have serveral tvs from 60" and on up to 80" smile.gif i never said they can compete with blue ray quality images i said they were excellent again if i felt compelled i can redo all my 3d movies on blue ray and get so called better resolution come on now one can always do better but these are very good and show great. thats the beauty of the world we live in im not 98% of the "people" we are all different certain movies demand blue ray for sure and when i feel like it is needed ill burn as such.

Yet in this thread, you claim you sold your big screen TV because the picture was crap. rolleyes.gif http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414861/which-one-matters-most-the-tv-the-bluray-player-or-the-movie-itself#post_22121406

That's why HD is preferred. SD looks like crap on big screens, especially when you cut the resolution even more, as you are doing..

post #18 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Yet in this thread, you claim you sold your big screen TV because the picture was crap. rolleyes.gif http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414861/which-one-matters-most-the-tv-the-bluray-player-or-the-movie-itself#post_22121406
That's why HD is preferred. SD looks like crap on big screens, especially when you cut the resolution even more, as you are doing..

i answered you in the other post my friend. To clarify hmmm i have blue ray 3d movies like everybody(avatar drive angery underworld captain america etc) else. So plenty of hd content has been viewed thanks for asking instead of assuming wink.gif tvs i currently own since you must know

olivia 42"
westing house 27"
lg 60" pz750
sharp 80LE632U

Big screen dlp i used to own until i sold it was
http://www.hsn.com/electronics/mitsubishi-73-3d-dlp-hdtv-with-wi-fi-adapter-and-hdmi-cable_m-10060862_xp.aspx

instead of being a internet warrior and assuming one could always ask what content as been viewed and on what source just a thought wink.gif
post #19 of 20 Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for assuming. It was all that talk of standarf def 3D. How long did you own the DLP? When did you buy it? How long have you had the 80LE632U?

post #20 of 20 Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Sorry for assuming. It was all that talk of standarf def 3D. How long did you own the DLP? When did you buy it? How long have you had the 80LE632U?

about two months on the sharp for the theater room and not setup just hung on wall plan on doing something nice in there once i come up with ideals the mistu i had for about 3 months or so got it last year in aug-sept again no doubt if i played with it more and more im sure i could have improved the picture just have to gain that much more knowledge working on gettnig some 70" for the living room downstairs i want a basic 3d model might even settle for the 120hz model but im wondering if the 3d viewing will suffer as i have a 600hz lg im using and absolutely perfect i would like to see the same movie playing since they both are active of course and see if its rough or just the same or decient on a lower hz tv. I have read opinions on the topic of hz and 3d but nothing like seeing it with your own eyes smile.gif
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page