OLED hiding passive 3d FPR lines more? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since OLED lighting is done different and without the backlight LED could OLED hide FPR line visibility better with passive 3d setups? By my observations of owning these setups, it seems the FPR lines are just your eyes picking up the blocked line and adding it with the lighted line of the other eye. Could a LED backlight highlight these FPR lines more where a OLED might diminish them by not having that backlight? Anyone hear any rumors on this or see an OLED passive and have impressions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp65 View Post

Since OLED lighting is done different and without the backlight LED could OLED hide FPR line visibility better with passive 3d setups? By my observations of owning these setups, it seems the FPR lines are just your eyes picking up the blocked line and adding it with the lighted line of the other eye. Could a LED backlight highlight these FPR lines more where a OLED might diminish them by not having that backlight? Anyone hear any rumors on this or see an OLED passive and have impressions?

I don't think oled really matters, what matters is 4k resolution to give passive 1080 lines and to make the lines smallers so you can't see them as easily.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Passive works by putting a polarized filter between the picture and your eyes, (using alternately polarized lines). Every other line matches one of the lenses (L or R) in the glasses, combining to block the light from that line. The type of TV technology behind the filter doesn't matter.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #4 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

The type of TV technology behind the filter doesn't matter.

You may be right, but I won't be convinced till there is some evidence of this. How light diffuses across a polarized FPR line might effect how it shows just a bit.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Passive works by putting a polarized filter between the picture and your eyes, (using alternately polarized lines). Every other line matches one of the lenses (L or R) in the glasses, combining to block the light from that line. The type of TV technology behind the filter doesn't matter.

Well, it works that way until something like the flailing Zscreen gambit by RealD gets built into the screen in front of the pixels... at that point there's no need to spatially separate the pixels.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may be right, but I won't be convinced till there is some evidence of this...

??

The evidence is everywhere. That's why one can buy a passive 3D TV

Quote:

...How light diffuses across a polarized FPR line might effect how it shows just a bit.

Um, it's the same light. If the light was different, the picture would be different.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #7 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

Well, it works that way until something like the flailing Zscreen gambit by RealD gets built into the screen in front of the pixels... at that point there's no need to spatially separate the pixels.

Yes, but then we weren't discussing ZScreen, we were discussing FPR.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

??

The evidence is everywhere. That's why one can buy a passive 3D TV

Um, it's the same light. If the light was different, the picture would be different.

From my understanding it's not the same light, but my reading on this has been very limited. A normal LED TV's light is in part behind the pixel where as an OLED pixel is the light and requires no backlight. This might change how light effects the FPR lines visibility by the change in how the screen is illuminated. Someone tell me if I'm wrong on how OLED is done. I'm here to learn and not concerned with ego.

There hasn't been any OLED passive 3d in the consumer market yet that I'm aware.

Added later: I reread wikipedia's insert on OLED. It requires no backlight as compared to LCD lit with LED.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From my understanding it's not the same light, but my reading on this has been very limited. A normal LED TV's light is in part behind the pixel where as an OLED pixel is the light and requires no backlight. This might change how light effects the FPR lines visibility by the change in how the screen is illuminated. Someone tell me if I'm wrong on how OLED is done. I'm here to learn and not concerned with ego.

There hasn't been any OLED passive 3d in the consumer market yet that I'm aware.

Added later: I reread wikipedia's insert on OLED. It requires no backlight as compared to LCD lit with LED.

The screen is illuminated by the colors in the picture, no matter the source, whether it be LED/LCD, OLED, or anything else. Red pixels still need red light, green pixels, green light, etc. Otherwise the picture would not represent the source.

The FPR lines visibility is a function of the polarization of that light coming through the filter lines when used with the polarized lenses in the glasses.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page