Am I headed in the right direction for 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Objective: To watch Blu-Ray movies in 3D.

Here is the hardware I have: Optoma HD-66, PS3 Slim, Monoprice 3D Creator, WDTV Live Player, Denon AVR-1712 (newly acquired).

I hooked up everything last night by connecting the HDMI "OUT" from PS3 to HDMI "IN" on the Monoprice, then "OUT" from Monoprice into the Denon. Also I went into the HD-66 menu and turned ON the 3D setting. I then put on the Batman Dark Knight blu-ray and Nemo DVD and played around with the red/blue glasses and realized I didn't really know what I was doing. I got a SBS image with the Dark Knight blu-ray, but w/o glasses it was for naught. So basically.....

1) Do I need anything else besides glasses and 3D media?
2) Will the Monoprice get me the same results as a Optoma 3D-XL? Or should I spring for the 3D-XL since I get a pair of free glasses?
3) Do I need a separate Blu-Ray Player if I stick with the Monoprice? If so, which one?

I'm sorry for the questions. I looked up as much info as I could on the forum here, but it's easy to get confused. I am actually quite knowledgeable when it comes to home audio, but 3DTV requires some schooling from those who know better.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 10
To do true 3D you will need a 3DXL box, I may be wrong but I think the 3D creator only does 2D-3D conversion. I would get a 3DXL, some RF glasses, and real 3D BR movies. And (just my opinion) don't ruin TDK with a bad 3D conversion, I love 3D but would only watch TDK in 3D if it was using a Teranex box.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 AM

jmcquire is correct in order to enjoy 3d at its best you need the 3d-xl. The monoprice 3d creator can't process the bluray 3d format frame packed that's why you need the 3d-xl. The monoprice 3d creator will convert dvd's, 2d bluray's or whatever else you feed it to side by side using the 3d dlp mode, but that will only work with dlp link glasses. In my opinion the 3d creator does a real good job at converting 2d material to 3d . I actually have the hd66,3d creator and 3d-xl and you don't need a seperate bluray player. The bluray 3d is much better than converted 3d trust me, but the converted 3d is still nice.
If you want to use only the monoprice unit all you would need is dlp link glasses optoma's are the best by the way and if you can turn the 3d off and on in the hd66's menu then your set,my hd66 wouldn't work with my 3d creator by itself because I had newer firmware on mine that made mine only work with the 3d-xl first then I ran my 3d creator to the 3d-xl.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Does the 3D-XL come with glasses like it's advertised? And do I need to upgrade to high speed hdmi cables, or will my existing standards work?

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post

Thanks guys. Does the 3D-XL come with glasses like it's advertised? And do I need to upgrade to high speed hdmi cables, or will my existing standards work?

You can buy the 3D-XL with or without glasses, I would buy it without glasses and get RF glasses instead of DLP link (DLP link inserts white frames to sync the glasses and can affect picture quality). I have two 3DXL boxes and would be willing to sell you one, they are left over from a dual projection 3D setup I recently sold and are in great condition, I can sell one with or without Optoma DLP link glasses.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is there any good reason to get the 3D-XL over the cheaper View Sonic 3D HD Video Processor (VP3D1)?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Is there any good reason to get the 3D-XL over the cheaper View Sonic 3D HD Video Processor (VP3D1)?

The 3d-xl has a port so you can use ir or rf glasses instead of dlp link glasses and has a switch so you can use 2 3d-xl's together in a dual passive 3d projection system, where as the viewsonic doesn't have these options.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

You can buy the 3D-XL with or without glasses, I would buy it without glasses and get RF glasses instead of DLP link (DLP link inserts white frames to sync the glasses and can affect picture quality). I have two 3DXL boxes and would be willing to sell you one, they are left over from a dual projection 3D setup I recently sold and are in great condition, I can sell one with or without Optoma DLP link glasses.

Thanks for the offer. Right after your initial advice I went to amazon and sprung for an open box 3D-XL from the amazon warehouse (fulfilled by amazon). I hope I got a good deal.