Most cost-effective 3D Blu-Ray setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanna watch 3D Blu-Rays at home!!!
I've been doing all sorts of research...from building my own 3D projector, to purchasing all manner of 3D display devices.

I've finally decided to maybe purchase the ViewSonic VP3D1 adapter...if it works on any 1080p LCD TV. (I already have a 3D capable Sony Blu-Ray player).

Is this the most inexpensive way to go, and still have decent quality?

How much would it cost to build a DIY passive-3D setup? Is it possible to make a "beamer" using a passive LCD panel (the kind with the polarized film already attached?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Passive projector systems have some significant advantages, but cost is not their strongest suit. I recommend one of the $1500 3D 1080p projectors - Epson 3010, Acer 9500, or Optoma HD33 - a decent screen around 110" and a PS3. You're all set for around $2000. Can't beat that for cost effectiveness.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You may also want to check out The Ultimate projection system: A practical discussion thread, in the digital projectors over 3000 category. The last 10 or so pages discuss a new filter system by Omega that sounds really interesting. It's not too much and you can use a couple of cheap projectors if you want, and they don't have to be 3d ones.
And you're not limited to buying a crappy/expensive passive screen, any screen will work. You would have to have either a htpc or a couple of 3d-xl or comporable units.

It sounds like the advantages of this system include increased brightness, little to no ghosting, good colors, and cheaper glasses. All of those projectors listed above are fine choices, but I'm to picky to upgrade to any of them right now because they all have certain flaws (or kinks that still have yet to be remedied by the companies) that I can't accept - whether it's ghosting, being too dim for my 146" diagonal screen, lag, hdmi blurring issues, etc. I'm sure they all would still be awesome in most homes though.

Right now I'm using a cheapo Acer h5360 that does awesome 3d for the price. Unfortunately though, it loses too many lumens in 3d mode, and it simply can't light up my screen the way it needs to. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try the Omega system, but I haven't decided if I want to gamble on two better 1080p units or just get another 5360 for now to try with it.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page