Let me get this straight.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We want HD3d. We want it big. We want surround sound.
So...
We spend $1500-$4000 on a TV.
We spend $1000 on a receiver.
We spend $1000 - $3000 on speakers.
For hard core users...
We build a home theater with giant screens, masking, curtains, lighting,
reclining, vibrating seating.
Don't forget the guy coming in to calibrate everything.
Oh, and a popcorn machine.
Are we at $20,000.00 yet?

Then we settle down and watch our favorite 3D flick through glasses
that have optical properties worse than $2.00 sunglasses from the local drugstore!
Hmmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.... I think...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I just watched Underworld Awakening in 3D on Blu Ray in my own Home Theater.

I'm not sure what it cost anymore but it was worth it.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Maybe this will make you feel better.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15974...er_tricks.html

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

So...
For hard core users...

that have optical properties worse than $2.00 sunglasses from the local drugstore!
Hmmmm!

If you are talking about passive 3D glasses then why not get some good ones - they cost $100 a pair:

http://www.gunnars.com/technology/premium-3d-eyewear/
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

So...
For hard core users...

Hmmmm!

What Brand of 3D TV (Size)with built in 3D emitter , 3D player, and AV receiver. I bought a Mitsubishi 82" 3D TV, 4K, I bought an AVR 3600 Harman Kardon reciever, Cerwin Vegas front speakers with 12" subs-$1500, 15" Powered Sub Cerwin Vegas. I bought 6 Monster cable 1.4A HDMI cables $600, you need the 1.4A to watch 3format.Sont 3D player $350. A cerwin Vegas center channel $189, Infinity surround, includes center, side and back speakers $400, Speaker wire $100, Also I ran a Cat6 ethernet wire into our theater room with a ethernet switch to run my Xbox 360, PS3, TV, and Sony 3D player. Works great the 3D is amazing games and movies. I bought the 3D glasses that were resommended to buy with my TV and I got four of them for $400. I spent not even near 20K and its been than in the theater. Could you tell me everything that you got. Make 100% certain that you bought the 1.4A HDMI or 3d will not be able to transmit through them.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigger212003 View Post

What Brand of 3D TV (Size)with built in 3D emitter , 3D player, and AV receiver. I bought a Mitsubishi 82" 3D TV, 4K, I bought an AVR 3600 Harman Kardon reciever, Cerwin Vegas front speakers with 12" subs-$1500, 15" Powered Sub Cerwin Vegas. I bought 6 Monster cable 1.4A HDMI cables $600, you need the 1.4A to watch 3format.Sont 3D player $350. A cerwin Vegas center channel $189, Infinity surround, includes center, side and back speakers $400, Speaker wire $100, Also I ran a Cat6 ethernet wire into our theater room with a ethernet switch to run my Xbox 360, PS3, TV, and Sony 3D player. Works great the 3D is amazing games and movies. I bought the 3D glasses that were resommended to buy with my TV and I got four of them for $400. I spent not even near 20K and its been than in the theater. Could you tell me everything that you got. Make 100% certain that you bought the 1.4A HDMI or 3d will not be able to transmit through them.

I spent 7400 dollars on my theater and it works great, for 20K you should charge admission to watch your movies for you. We need to know the 3d TV HDMI and the 3d source.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry if some missed the point. Just look at some of the home theater photos elsewhere on AVS forum. $20,000 is not unrealistic.
Me, I have a Panasonic Blu Ray, Optoma HD33 projector, a 6 year old Pioneer 1.2 receiver, and a screen made of blackout cloth. For HD 3d I go directly from the Panny to the HD33. For playing HQFS 3d DVD's I run a laptop through the receiver. I sit on a 20 year old recliner from Montgomery Ward, if my dog doesn't get it first.
Now hold your LCD shutter glasses halfway between you and this text, focus on one word and move the glasses side to side. Watch the letters wiggle. I have seen this with Tru Depth, Optoma, and others. Then there's the color of the lenses.
But still, home HD 3d is way cool.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Maybe this will make you feel better.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15974...er_tricks.html

That article is over 3 years old so some of the areas in it need updating.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is strange. I have been through a couple "Amazing 3D" pushes and the latest is "same as it ever was" .

I have a 3d tv and tried a couple movies to see what it's all about and to me it looks sorta like 1950's again. It looks like one of those pop up gift cards, people and things stand out and there is depth but they are flat and not as subtle as a standard viewing.

It will pass and some day, twenty years from now, your grandson will say, "Gramps, their coming out with 3d movies!" and you will smile and take another asprin.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have been into a/v equipment for a long time. My first "ht" system was a 32" crt with a dolby pro logic system and a vcr. I have made a few upgrades since then. 3d is a novelty but when done right it can add to the movie watching experience. I just demoed some 3d stuff for my wife last night. I have an Optoma HD33 and a 108" screen. I played a scene from "Ultimate Wave Tahiti" she thought it was pretty cool. Hey if you arent into 3d I get that, to each their own.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Really great great stuff is coming from the next gen video games, the detail and depth will be astounding and if you don't like 3D now just wait a few years, I can only fathom some of the 3D head mounted diplays that are on the way.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM

The problem with 3D movies is that at the cinema the effect is often quite subtle (eg Thor) so when you downscale it to a TV then things start to go downhill. Add to it the headaches and eyestrain, and ridiculous flicker caused by active sets, and the funny, semi blurred, 'hollow' look found with passive sets, and you see a technology which has been released before it is ready.

Trouble is people who have invested substantial amounts of money acquiring this tech won't admit how shoddy it is because they need to justify their purchases to themselves (and maybe their partners!)

Simply put, this technology is unsatisfying at best, and unwatchable at worst.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

Trouble is people who have invested substantial amounts of money acquiring this tech won't admit how shoddy it is because they need to justify their purchases to themselves (and maybe their partners!)

And I think some people exaggeratingly bash the tech to try to justify their disinterest in 3D or lack of a 3D display.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

The problem with 3D movies is that at the cinema the effect is often quite subtle (eg Thor) so when you downscale it to a TV then things start to go downhill. Add to it the headaches and eyestrain, and ridiculous flicker caused by active sets, and the funny, semi blurred, 'hollow' look found with passive sets, and you see a technology which has been released before it is ready.

Simply put, this technology is unsatisfying at best, and unwatchable at worst.

Do you own a 3DTV or are your experiences coming from what you have seen on some Best Buy floor?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

And I think some people exaggeratingly bash the tech to try to justify their disinterest in 3D or lack of a 3D display.

I think it may be deeper seated than that. I know a lot of people seem to get their jollies being fanboys or anti-fanboys online, but the level of criticism directed at 3D seems disproportionately high.

My personal theory is that people for whom 3D is distracting or gives them headaches or just doesn't seem to add anything fear that there is something wrong with their eyes that prevents them from enjoying the experience, and fear that 3D will become perniciously deployed, which will force them to admit this problem to other people in social settings.

So, some of it will fade as they eventually get enough practice at 3D viewing and/or get to see a properly configured kit (and properly mastered content), and actually have a good experience. (And for those that have genuine opthalmological conditions the problem will ease as soon as it becomes routine for all 3D glasses to be offered at cinemas and in home setups with single-eye varieties, so they can "turn off" 3D for themselves while other people are using it.)
Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

3D is a gimmick brought to us by a desperate movie industry trying to keep their theaters open for another 10 years.

I own a 3d tv and find the experience comical at best. For movies it takes away something that I cannot define. I don't get headaches, I don't get dizzy and yes I have watched several movies all the way through trying to embrace the so called "new tech". The best I have seen so far have been animated features as they seem to be more at home with the flat look of 3D.

I will admit I have not seen the best 3D movie, Avatar. It seems to be priced for collectors at the moment.

Some of you will love it because you have not been brought up on real film and have not lived through several renditions of this same old stick, but ask any real film buff what they think of 3D.

I love high tech and I would love to have real 3D but this is not close, maybe in another twenty years, but not yet.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 AM

What do you consider real 3d?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

That's simple, to me real 3D would be natural 3D as seen in real life. Something that will be very hard to do with todays tech. I think they are trying to get to much punch out of it and believe it would be better if it was much more subtle as to not take one out of the movie. Like I mentioned, I want to see Avatar as I understand it is the best and most natural 3D so far. Maybe if they work toward that end and not so much toward the "wow" factor I could get into it.

As an example I watched the Green Hornet on 3D because my local rent joint had it for a buck a night. I had seen the movie when it came out on regular blu ray and wanted to see it again in 3D. It was the first one I tried and I just could not get into the movie. The depth was fine and the colors great but the detail was lacking and there was a flat look to the people and objects. I tried few other movies and some animated stuff and enjoyed the animated much better.

Something I would like to do with my 3D tv is get pc 3D gaming to work. I have looked into it and it seems to be hit or miss so far.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Gaming on the pc in 3d is amazing. Speaking of the green hornet, that was a conversion, and I have yet to see a good conversion. To me they always look flat, dull and unimpressive. Check out a movie shot in real 3d, like you mentioned avatar or final destination 5, bloody valentine, and the upcoming journey 2, which is georgeous.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Trust me, as a high tech junkie I will not give up and will continue to look for good 3D content. I have the tv and will use if for 3D. When Avatar is re-released I will pick it up as well.

As for the 3D gaming I was interested in Nvidia 3D play now but really cannot find much about it explaining how to use it and if it works.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Nvidia 3d play is a bad solution, as it limits 1080p to 24hz and you can't play games at 24fps. The only way to get 60 fps or even the minimum playable 30 fps, is to use checkerboard format. If your tv supports checkerboard I will guide you to a guide on how to set it up.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

That's simple, to me real 3D would be natural 3D as seen in real life. Something that will be very hard to do with todays tech. I think they are trying to get to much punch out of it and believe it would be better if it was much more subtle as to not take one out of the movie. Like I mentioned, I want to see Avatar as I understand it is the best and most natural 3D so far. Maybe if they work toward that end and not so much toward the "wow" factor I could get into it.

As an example I watched the Green Hornet on 3D because my local rent joint had it for a buck a night. I had seen the movie when it came out on regular blu ray and wanted to see it again in 3D. It was the first one I tried and I just could not get into the movie. The depth was fine and the colors great but the detail was lacking and there was a flat look to the people and objects. I tried few other movies and some animated stuff and enjoyed the animated much better.

What you seem to defining is your dislike of 3D conversions VS filmed in true 3D. There have been precious few true 3D films, Avatar being the best example. It is relatively easy to convert digital animation and that is why they look better than live conversions. When Hollywood starts filming in true 3D the results will be much better and much more widely accepted.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

3D is a gimmick brought to us by a desperate movie industry trying to keep their theaters open for another 10 years.

I own a 3d tv and find the experience comical at best. For movies it takes away something that I cannot define. I don't get headaches, I don't get dizzy and yes I have watched several movies all the way through trying to embrace the so called "new tech". The best I have seen so far have been animated features as they seem to be more at home with the flat look of 3D.

I am sorry but your opinion that 3D looks flat is a long way away from what I and many other 3D fans observe when watching a decent 3D movie.

Far from looking flat, the actors faces, limbs and bodies have curvature and shape. It was in fact this aspect of 3D that stood out for me when watching Avatar, something I gather you have not yet done?

It was like watching actors performing in front of me rather than 2 dimensional moving images on a screen. The whole experience was and continues to be very different from a 2D movie.

Oh, and by the way, the Green Hornet is one of the worst examples of 3D out there, and a conversion, not a proper natively shot 3D movie. I could quite happily throw my copy in the nearest bin, it is THAT bad.

I can only assume that either your eyesight is not suited to 3D, your equipment is inadequate or you have simply not seen enough well shot 3D to recognise how good it can be when its done well. Try Avatar, Sanctum, Hugo or Drive Angry. These are all very good examples and a long way from flat.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

"I can only assume that either your eyesight is not suited to 3D, your equipment is inadequate or you have simply not seen enough well shot 3D to recognise how good it can be when its done well."

Nice, now tell me the bad news.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 49
It may just be that you have been unlucky and have only seen some of the dross that is out there, and believe me there is a fair bit of it. There is some very good 3D though which may well impress you.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Now thats better.

If you really read my last post you will see I admit to not having good content and look forward to seeing Avatar but I cannot spend 150 bucks for a movie.

I also said I am not giving up and will continue to try more content and it is very possible I will change my mind. After all, I really want it to work and be all that it can be (think I heard that before somewhere).
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I will admit I have not seen the best 3D movie, Avatar. It seems to be priced for collectors at the moment.

Some of you will love it because you have not been brought up on real film and have not lived through several renditions of this same old stick, but ask any real film buff what they think of 3D.

I love high tech and I would love to have real 3D but this is not close, maybe in another twenty years, but not yet.

It sounds like your experience is based on seeing conversions, and many would agree with you based on that same experience. The fact is, until you do see Avatar, you don't really have a reference point with which to judge this new crop of 3D as being legitimate or a fad.

The problem is the many who just want to cash in and make a quick buck, and so they do a quick conversion (green hornet, clash of the titans, etc...) and give the whole 3D experience a black eye.

I agree the Avatar 3DBD is overpriced for now. It's a shame you didn't get to see it in the theater, but I expect it should be out for the holidays (at least I hope so.) The next closest for realistic 3D is Resident Evil:Afterlife. It was shot with the same camera system, but that doesn't mean it's quite as fabulous as Avatar. I think directorial experience with using 3D can have a big effect on its impact. Also, the content of the movie may not be your cup of tea, but I thought it was a fun "check your mind at the door" action flick. Avatar really is the reference though, at least until The Hobbit comes out, and then current 3DTV owners might/will be out of luck since no current TVs do 1080p/48/3D.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

As for the 3D gaming I was interested in Nvidia 3D play now but really cannot find much about it explaining how to use it and if it works.

It works, and it's great. It's true that you can't really do 1080p due to HDMI limitations, but 720p 3D is still excellent and you don't need a monster PC to do it. There are a number of reasons that limit the 3D quality of movies (they have to cater to everyone including children and people prone to headaches), but with PC gaming you're free to adjust the 3D up to (or exceeding) realistic values. Quite simply, if the content is the reason you're been unimpressed with 3D, PC gaming is the answer.

Check if your TV is supported (if not, submit it) and buy 3DTV Play.
Learn how to properly adjust 3D in games.
Read the Nvidia 3D forums for information about specific games.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

It works, and it's great. It's true that you can't really do 1080p due to HDMI limitations, but 720p 3D is still excellent and you don't need a monster PC to do it. There are a number of reasons that limit the 3D quality of movies (they have to cater to everyone including children and people prone to headaches), but with PC gaming you're free to adjust the 3D up to (or exceeding) realistic values. Quite simply, if the content is the reason you're been unimpressed with 3D, PC gaming is the answer.

Check if your TV is supported (if not, submit it) and buy 3DTV Play.
Learn how to properly adjust 3D in games.
Read the Nvidia 3D forums for information about specific games.

You can do 1080p 3d at 60 fps with checkerboard format outside of 3dtv play, there is a whole thread about it on the nvidia forums