The difference in PQ between 3D iso and half OU - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please tell me, can you see the difference in PQ between 3D movies files 3D iso and half OU. I think to buy a ASUS o!play 700 to watch 3d iso,now im watching only half OU and SBS on my Popcorn A300 , will there be the differences when viewed on a screen 122 " with the projector Epson 5010?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There will be a difference for sure, especially on that size of a screen.

But I would recommend you stay away from the ASUS player.

Its basically a copy of the Oppo 93 and although it costs the same, it doesnt exactly use the same chip to do the work [same mfr though] and if you look in threads specifically for the ASUS product, you will notice people having problems playing 3D ISO's that they shouldnt be having problems with.

I am a huge ASUS fan, having used their mobo's for years but this isnt one of their great products.

Your best bet would be an Oppo 93 and even if you get one with newer non-ISO firmware, you can always buy a modchip from a very specific third-party that will allow you to back-flash the firmware to the revision you want.

The modchip information is accurate and I could have linked to a post on how to do it or even where to get it from but the last and only time someone posted this info on AVS was in the Oppo 93 thread and it got removed completely by the moderators because they said the person was pushing a product so I dont want to risk it.

HTH
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply nikonf5 .
I also first thought of oppo 93 and I know how to get back-flash the firmware. But in my region cost for the players is different,Asus -$250 and oppo 93- $3200!!! (from ebay with shipping $760), the difference in price is 300%.
In the Russian forum threads people having problems with Asus too, but with the latest firmware they become less and may even reduce the issues with next firmwares. And you cant fix anything in Oppo (may there will be issues in the future with new video content) as can not update the firmware, it stops me from buying Oppo 93.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
The difference is what your eyes can see. I don't see a difference on my 73".
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

nickoakdl
what equipment you use?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSOL1 View Post

But in my region cost for the players is different,Asus -$250 and oppo 93- $3200!!! (from ebay with shipping $760), the difference in price is 300%.

When I wrote my original reply, I was sure this was the reason you had discounted the 93 but I didnt realise there would be such a big difference.

You still have a way out if you know someone in NA who would be willing to buy it locally and ship to you but I am sure you have already thought of this.

Also, have you tried Amazon and see if they will ship to you ?

Quote:

In the Russian forum threads people having problems with Asus too, but with the latest firmware they become less and may even reduce the issues with next firmwares.

Keep in mind that the Oppo 93 ISO support was removed on the order of the BDA because it worked too well as any properly coded ISO support would if it were on a licensed player which the Oppo still is.

The reason ASUS can even sell a player with ISO support is because the player is not licensed by the BDA and this is also the reason the player is not sold on the NA market where it would stick out for its alternate abilities and where the mostly non-tech public customer base is mostly interested in legit stuff and better known brands.

The lack of license is is also the reason that the ASUS cannot play all ISO's [decode Java] as well and without issues as the 93.

It is also the reason they will continue to have issues and need firmware fixes for ISO's of newer titles where the Oppo still plays everything clean even after does not.

Quote:

And you cant fix anything in Oppo (may there will be issues in the future with new video content) as can not update the firmware, it stops me from buying Oppo 93.

Thats what I thought too but I found out that it is only a problem if you are playing the actual studio disc with the latest ISO-capable firmware.

If you rip a BD to an ISO file with the right settings, you will get an ISO file that is perfectly playable with full menus and content on any licensed player [s/w or h/w] that is able to play ISO files.

There are more than a few cases of this on the Oppo 93 thread where a new disc comes out and a person with the ISO-capable firmware cannot play the new disc in the player but once they rip it, they can watch the resulting ISO without any issues just as if it was in the player.

There are also cases in the same thread where a new disc needs even the latest firmware [already on the 93] to be upgraded for the disc to play properly but people owning a 93 with the older ISO-capable firmware can still play an ISO made from the same disc without issues.

Also, the Oppo supports BDMV folder playback flawlessly and this has been confirmed in the thread even for newer firmwares and I can confirm it personally and this makes non-ISO support for 2D BD titles a moot point as it can still play from the folder structures with access to all content.

I am not a fanboy of the 93 but I do own one and I did a lot of research before and have done enough testing after I bought it to be sure of the information I am providing.

I have an ISO of every single 3D BD released in the world [150+] and I have tried a lot of them on a 2D projector through the 93 and the only errors I got were the lack of 3D support which only proves that the Java is working.

A lot of them also DID play the movie in 2D which also proves that the Java is working.

What is most important in the results is that none of them refused to play for any reason related to bad ISO support on the 93.

NNTP is synonymous with BDMV and BD ISO in my book
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

I have a problem with watching 3d HALF OU movies.
It looks like 3D images do not mach on each other.
But HSBS is very good.

i have LG 42LM615S LED 3D. and it has opsions for SBS and TOP TO BOTTOM. But top to bottom is not good as i explained.
is there something wrong i maby doing?
Please help.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page