Am I doing it wrong? I am underwhelmed with my 3d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a Panansonic st-30 and I am using my htpc to play sbs 3d blu ray rips. Admittedly, I am using very cheap glasses I got on ebay. They are universal Chinese ir active glasses with blue tips (like 30 bucks a piece) We watched Transformers 3 last night and the details were great and there was only a couple of parts where I noticed some slight crosstalk/ghosting and the depth of the 3d was there but nothing came close to "popping out".

We sit about 11 feet away and I tried getting closer but nothing changed. I remember seeing movies like "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Avatar" at the theater and things were right in my face where you literally thought you could grab stuff. Am I expecting to much or am I doing something wrong? I understand that 3-d is supposed to be immersive and subtle but I wanted something campy and showy. Maybe it was the movie or is it my cheap glasses or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Why don't you get Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D Blu ray (it's only $19) and see if you get at home what you remember from the theater. It does have plenty of fun pop-outs.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose it's worth a shot. It was a fun movie. I have a couple of other animated movies. Maybe one of those will work better. I Have "Despicable Me" and "Megamind" maybe those will yield better results.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 130
"Despicable Me" at the very end (credits?) has those little bots do some popouts. I do not remember the rest of the movie having any special popouts though.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I would try some different material like markr041 suggested. Also what size is the television?

Bill
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

65" and I love it!!! Just a little disappointed with the 3d last night. Using XBMC and I'd have to say, that program is AWESOME!!! I will try some other material and see if that helps. Thanks guys
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

65" and I love it!!! Just a little disappointed with the 3d last night. Using XBMC and I'd have to say, that program is AWESOME!!! I will try some other material and see if that helps. Thanks guys

How much closer did you try sitting. For reference I sit ~10.5' from a 114" 2:35 screen and sometime that doesn't feel immersive enough, lol

Bill
post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I went up 8 feet and then 6 feet and although it was more immersive, it did very little to improve the 3d. If anything, it bummed me out thinking that I wish I would have gotten a BIGGER tv. LOL
post #9 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I went up 8 feet and then 6 feet and although it was more immersive, it did very little to improve the 3d. If anything, it bummed me out thinking that I wish I would have gotten a BIGGER tv. LOL

I stare at the 50" in my living and wish it was a 65" or better yet another projector setup like I have in my HT. The wife will not fiscally approve either currently

Bill
post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont think there is any issue with your TV, Glasses, or content. I have had a 3D setup for over a year (Projector with 110" screen) and I have been thoroughly disappointed with the 3D. Only a few rare scenes in certain movies create a pop-out effect. I do see depth but thats doesnt interrest me because your eyes become a custom to the depth adn after 15 minutes you dont notice it anymore. The 3D is disapointing overal and thats why I think we are seeing a decline in 3D sales in general. I wish this wasnt true but sadly it is
post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

I dont think there is any issue with your TV, Glasses, or content. I have had a 3D setup for over a year (Projector with 110" screen) and I have been thoroughly disappointed with the 3D. Only a few rare scenes in certain movies create a pop-out effect. I do see depth but thats doesnt interrest me because your eyes become a custom to the depth adn after 15 minutes you dont notice it anymore. The 3D is disapointing overal and thats why I think we are seeing a decline in 3D sales in general. I wish this wasnt true but sadly it is

Agree, my feelings exactly.

Cheers
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page