Will HDMI Switch work to use PS3 3D with optical and PS3 with HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've searched high and low for an answer, but the questions others are asking seem a bit different that what I seem to be asking unless I'm reading them wrong.

I understand that you cannot use a HDMI switch from the PS3 to split signal to projector and non 3d receiver to get lossless sound and 3d video at the same time. I simply want to know, will an HDMI splitter off the PS3 that has one of the dual outputs going to the Epson projector and one going to the onkyo 805 reciever allow me to switch between HDMI to the projector for 3d with optical from the ps3 to the reciever, to solely HDMI signal to receiver for gaming.

So I want to be able to switch from watching 3d movies via HDMI input 1 on my Epson from one of the splitter outputs with optical from ps3 to reciever
to
Playing games via HDMI input 2 on the epson projector from the receiver that was fed the hdmi cord from the other hdmi output off the splitter coming from the PS3.

So in other words will the splitter when I'm watching 3D realized that the other HDMI output is hooked up to my non 3d receiver and stop me from getting 3d. I would think no because if the switch is set to one HDMI output, why would the other output still be registering.

If a switch will work in my situation could you please offer suggestions for a good switch that will work with 3D or will any work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm pretty sure I just answered my own question. This product from Amazon seems to be exactly what I'm looking for

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-HDMI-Bi-directional-Switch-Switcher/dp/B006CUIVTO/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339565366&sr=1-8

The only problem is that it says that the HDMI cord should not be longer than 5 meters and mine is 25ft so I will look for one of these that can support longer runs. Because this one states that it is bidirectional does that somehow allow it to do what I would like it too or could any HDMI 1x2 switcher do the job.

thanks.
Reply 3D Tech Talk