HDMI for 3D question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, new here to the forum, but I have a pressing question.

So I just bought a new TV, that has 3D capability. Good news, but here's the catch. My 7.1 receiver (which outputs HD audio signals) does not process the 3D video signal. If I run my HDMI from my source (PS3...one HDMI output) to the TV and use Optical cable, I lose the HD audio (as well as 7.1) correct? Is there an easier way to solve this problem, aside from buying a new receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaake View Post

Hello, new here to the forum, but I have a pressing question.
So I just bought a new TV, that has 3D capability. Good news, but here's the catch. My 7.1 receiver (which outputs HD audio signals) does not process the 3D video signal. If I run my HDMI from my source (PS3...one HDMI output) to the TV and use Optical cable, I lose the HD audio (as well as 7.1) correct? Is there an easier way to solve this problem, aside from buying a new receiver?

Correct.

You can get an HDMI switch.

Input is fed from the PS3. Run one output leg to the AVR (then to HDMI 1 for 2D), and then one output leg straight to the TV's HDMI 2 (with audio through optical to the AVR). This way, you can still get Dolby TruHD audio and/or 7.1 for 2D, and only have to settle for less when watching 3D.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Correct.
You can get an HDMI switch.
Input is fed from the PS3. Run one output leg to the AVR (then to HDMI 1 for 2D), and then one output leg straight to the TV's HDMI 2 (with audio through optical to the AVR). This way, you can still get Dolby TruHD audio and/or 7.1 for 2D, and only have to settle for less when watching 3D.

Thanks for the advice. Since a vast majority of my viewing options are 2D, this would work. However, it sounds like if I want full audio capability for 2D and 3D, there is no easy fix (aside from a receiver that can process the signal).
post #4 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
An HDMI switch allows you to switch the incoming HDMI signal to one of several differnt possible outputs.
An HDMI 1.4 capable splitter allows you send the HDMI signal to differnt outputs concurently including 3D content from a PS3 or 3D Blu-ray player.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Not all switches have indepent outputs.

Some switches have one output and independent inputs. These select between multiple source devices to a single destination.

If you want a switch that does both - select between multiple source devices and allows you to select between mutiple destination, make sure you read the specs carefully as not all do.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Would something like this do for my situation?...

http://www.satpro.tv/HDMISplitter1x2.aspx
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaake View Post

Would something like this do for my situation?...
http://www.satpro.tv/HDMISplitter1x2.aspx

That's a splitter. it sends the signal to two outputs at the same time, and the lowest common denominator (your AVR) probably will force the source to 2D.

This is a switch. http://www.satpro.tv/HDMISwitch.aspx It will switch back and forth between devices. It appears to work in both directions, but call to confirm before ordering.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just plug my HDMI cable by hand directly to my PC when I am watching something 3D. My PC has optical digital going to my receiver, so then I get 5.1. For 2D movies, I plug the HDMI back into my receiver's output, where I have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI so I get the 7.1. If you have only one Blu-Ray source, say a PS3, you would have to be telling the player to output audio either through the optical digital or the HDMI from time to time, because it won't output surround formats through both at once, but once you learn the menu settings that wouldn't be too hard. I don't recommend trying to get some HDMI switch or splitter, it isn't that hard to physically move the HDMI plug.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

... I don't recommend trying to get some HDMI switch or splitter, it isn't that hard to physically move the HDMI plug.

One might consider the wear and tear on already fragile HDMI ports, and that most people can't easily get to the back of their equipment.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I was in the same situation, have an onkyo tx-nr 807, not 3D compatible, so I got a 3D blu ray with dual HDMI outputs (panasonic 310). Problem solved...
post #11 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

One might consider the wear and tear on already fragile HDMI ports, and that most people can't easily get to the back of their equipment.

Do you find HDMI ports to be fragile? I had some concern about that, but have not had any problems with wear and tear for about a year, so far.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

Do you find HDMI ports to be fragile? I had some concern about that, but have not had any problems with wear and tear for about a year, so far.
YMMV

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page