3D playback on PC: Hardware or Software? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've got a 3D monitor on my PC now, but I'm still behind on my movie hardware.. no Blu-ray drive (the PC is used mainly for gaming).

Let's say I had a Blu-ray drive installed.. if I pop in a 3D BD disc, is the 3D portion of it decoded through the software I use to play it back, or do I need a particular kind of BD drive? Or a combination of both? I just don't want to get into a situation where I buy an inexpensive BD drive, and then find out it doesn't have the throughput for full 3D playback.

I'm thinking it's done through software.. Playstation was able to add 3D playback through a firmware update, but my set-top BD player is completely incapable of playing 3D content.

While we're on the subject, does anyone recommend a particular software package for 3D Blu-ray playback?

Just covering my bases. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the 3D stuff is handled 100% by software, so I'd think any drive would work. I've used PowerDVD, which has worked great, but the full-blown version seems pretty expensive for what it is.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
BluRay video decoding is done by software. You can use hardware acceleration if your graphics card supports it but it's optionnal.
The hardware requirements are about the same as for standard BluRay discs, except the CPU needs to be a little more powerful if you do not have hardware acceleration by the graphics card.

I bought my BluRay drive recently, it ships with Cyberlink PowerDVD 9. It does support BluRay 3D discs and plays them on my passive 3D monitor (I admit some HDCP hacking since my monitor is old and doesn't support HDCP).
It's a bit strange since I remember the 3D feature being only available with Power DVD 10 ultra when it was introduced two years ago.
The only really annoying thing is that PowerDVD keeps showing me an advertizing to buy an upgrade to the latest version, every time I start PowerDVD.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Done by software and HDMI HDCP compliant hardware, some cards/software have it some do not. I have both full versions of Arcsoft Total Media Theater 5 and Cyberlinks PowerDVD11. For 3D Cyberlink PowerDVD11 is more refined then TMT5. This for 1080P 3D BD playback. Other 3D formats such as Side By Side, Top Bottom as example have less requirements, not used with 3D BD's.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Cool. Thanks for the info, guys. smile.gif

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page