Converting Toshiba 3D camcorder (sk3d7) videos to current bluRay (for sony HMZT1) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very new to forums, usually being able to solve my issues or challenges simply reading other posts, or finding adequate info on the Web... but I am now very lost how to proceed. As a 3D loyalist, I have slides & videos of my son growing up (though I don't know if he'll ever appreciate them). In Nov 1990, I purchased the Toshiba Camcorder, and managed to record may years of images up to about 2005. I still have the original Compact VHS tapes, but back in '06, I burned most of the videos on to regular DVD's. I can display these with the original spliter, on a tube television, but realize my days with my last remaining tube tv are very limited!

I got the sony T1, but my images don't show up right. ANd nothing I did tweaking the bluray player, or the glasses, really made any difference.

I don't have a clue now, what to do, so that I can convert these videos to a format that would play on a BluRay player, allowing the Sony HMZT1 to process and display my images.

From my readings, I would guess the current VHS & DVD's have field sequential recordings. Several different software programs advertise that they convert between different formats, but I really am not certain what I have, and what I need to do, and what is the best way to do this. I would be incredibly grateful for whatever help anyone can provide. I would think someone, somewhere in these posts probably posted essentially the same challenge, but I may not be fluent enough with the terminology to understand what I'm even looking for.

I can really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance.
~Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstuman View Post

I am very new to forums, usually being able to solve my issues or challenges simply reading other posts, or finding adequate info on the Web... but I am now very lost how to proceed. As a 3D loyalist, I have slides & videos of my son growing up (though I don't know if he'll ever appreciate them). In Nov 1990, I purchased the Toshiba Camcorder, and managed to record may years of images up to about 2005. I still have the original Compact VHS tapes, but back in '06, I burned most of the videos on to regular DVD's. I can display these with the original spliter, on a tube television, but realize my days with my last remaining tube tv are very limited!
I got the sony T1, but my images don't show up right. ANd nothing I did tweaking the bluray player, or the glasses, really made any difference.
I don't have a clue now, what to do, so that I can convert these videos to a format that would play on a BluRay player, allowing the Sony HMZT1 to process and display my images.
From my readings, I would guess the current VHS & DVD's have field sequential recordings. Several different software programs advertise that they convert between different formats, but I really am not certain what I have, and what I need to do, and what is the best way to do this. I would be incredibly grateful for whatever help anyone can provide. I would think someone, somewhere in these posts probably posted essentially the same challenge, but I may not be fluent enough with the terminology to understand what I'm even looking for.
I can really use some guidance.
Thanks in advance.
~Stuart
My guess is that the Toshiba recorded in a 480i line interleaved format.
If this is correct then you could use Sony Vegas Pro to input them in that format, edit them and output them as 3D Blu-Ray.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion of Vegas Pro. It's $599 and is there a way for me to verify that it would actually work, prior to buying software. I don't expect it to be returnable if it doesn't accomplish the conversion.
~S
post #4 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstuman View Post

Thanks for the suggestion of Vegas Pro. It's $599 and is there a way for me to verify that it would actually work, prior to buying software. I don't expect it to be returnable if it doesn't accomplish the conversion.
~S
If you can supply me a sample I can try it for you.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 102
First of all, you can do what you want with the <$99 Sony Vegas Home Premium. Second, you can download a Free working version of Pro or Home for use for 30 days, plenty of time for you to check.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

& Thanks, Frank, for your offer. I will try the Vegas HP first on my own.
~Stuart
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 101
By the date here I think this is a field sequential format. This will only work with special shutter glasses that are synced to a CRT TV using special hardware. Vegas will not work with field sequential video.

There are a number of DVD's out now with copies from the old VHS tapes for those who own the hardware. About a year ago I got a 3D DVD in from Netflix called The Haunted Castle. After some frustration, I was able to locate some sources for Field Sequential 3D equipment on ebay. But it requires a CRT TV which after learning that, I understood completely what was being done and decided to pass on the viewing of this movie.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

By the date here I think this is a field sequential format. This will only work with special shutter glasses that are synced to a CRT TV using special hardware. Vegas will not work with field sequential video.
There are a number of DVD's out now with copies from the old VHS tapes for those who own the hardware. About a year ago I got a 3D DVD in from Netflix called The Haunted Castle. After some frustration, I was able to locate some sources for Field Sequential 3D equipment on ebay. But it requires a CRT TV which after learning that, I understood completely what was being done and decided to pass on the viewing of this movie.
Don, you can set media type to line alternate, which might work with field sequential. That's why I wanted to try it.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Line Alternate is not the same format as field sequential. Field sequential won't display properly on a digital panel like LCD because field sequential has to maintain an image display for the time of the phosphor persistence, approximately 16.5 ms per ntsc field. Field sequential Requires a scan line field trace timing as is used in CRT. Around 1990 there were two formats used for 3D on VHS, anaglyph and field sequential. I'm sure conversion is possible but you'd need hardware that will store the fields separately as they come in off the analog tape and convert to digital on a scan line increment in order to preserve the 3D left and right images. Don't know of any device that does that. Digital TV's can handle analog 2D video because they are designed to store the fields for display as a pair, not as left / right separate images to flash sequentially.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Line Alternate is not the same format as field sequential. Field sequential won't display properly on a digital panel like LCD because field sequential has to maintain an image display for the time of the phosphor persistence, approximately 16.5 ms per ntsc field. Field sequential Requires a scan line field trace timing as is used in CRT. Around 1990 there were two formats used for 3D on VHS, anaglyph and field sequential. I'm sure conversion is possible but you'd need hardware that will store the fields separately as they come in off the analog tape and convert to digital on a scan line increment in order to preserve the 3D left and right images. Don't know of any device that does that. Digital TV's can handle analog 2D video because they are designed to store the fields for display as a pair, not as left / right separate images to flash sequentially.
Don, I am well aware of how it works however, if one were to import it just as any NTSC 29.97 interlaced file ignoring the fact that the odd even fields are from different lenses and then have Vegas treat it as a interleaved file it might work. Not sure without trying it.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

I did find a source on the Toshiba camcorder in question and I was correct. It uses field sequential 3D technology and it came with two pairs of LCD shutter glasses and the sync emitter that is hard wired to a CRT. TV

I also found out that Stereoscopic Player supports field sequential format ( per Peter Wimmer )and can convert it to a format that will play on your modern 3D TV. They don't call it field sequential but it's called Row interlaced. Then experiment with odd or even field first to get the correct 3D depth. Here is a link to stereoscopic Player setup to view field sequential.

Frank- if you want to experiment with field sequential video, there are plenty of DVD's being sold that were produced with this format - - cheap! Now that I understand Stereoscopic Player can do this, I just may have to rent some from Netflix again and try to rip and convert to something that will play on my 3D here. smile.gif

Added some old field seq. movies, including Elvira's Encounter in the 3rd dimension to my Netflix queue.

Here is that 3D conversion kit I was referring to.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

You definitely made the diagnosis... the conversion kit is identical to one that came with the Toshiba, and I even bought additional glasses like the ones included with it. And, back in 01, I saw the Elvira video at at IMAX in England, and somehow got it in a collection of 3d DVD's, probably with a purchase of glasses in 03... and it worked fine with my converter. The stereoscopic player looks like I should be able to work with it a bit, and I will tackle it tomorrow. I really appreciate the great insight and experience you two have; and your graciousness in sharing it with me. I will let you know how it goes!!!
~Stuart
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page