First movie with full time pop-out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw an interesting trailer at the showing of Prometheus. It was a black and white animated movie for kids, but it had what seemed to be full time pop-out in a way. Most of the scenes were set in rooms and it looked like your position in the world was at the camera itself and so everything looked as if it was right in front of you. It was an IMAX theater and i was sitting closer than normal which could be a factor, but it should give basically the same effect in any theater. Anyone else see this?

I hope they do more of these, it was a great effect.

EDIT: Found the movie: Called Frankenweenie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out the animated movies "Fly Me to the Moon" & "Sammy's Adventure." Each film is played in front of the screen. I think the red-green version of Moon may be messed up, so get the real 3DTV Blu-Ray versions.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ice Age 3 and Hugo are filmed like this. Most scenes have their farthest point at screen depth and the entire scene is rendered in front of the screen, although they don't use this technique on absolutely all scenes, there are still some that have their horizon behind the screen depth.
I noticed that underwater documentaries use this technique a lot too, sometimes they make the fishes jump so strongly out of the picture it hurts..

This technique creates very strong 3D, pictures in front of the screen appear artificially stronger and sharper than pictures behind the screen, but it also creates more eye strain.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have seen Hugo, and this was very different from that. This looked like i was a fly on the wall in the rooms scenes. There was a scene where a table was in the center of a room and it looked as if i could take one step forward and be right next to it, and yet the table and room weren't small looking either.

I'll check out some of the other movies mentioned, at least i will if i can find a place that rents them.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I just watched Journey 2 and it was very kid friendly and had a fair amount of popout and great depth. The colours were amazing, but the movie itself is definitely geared towards those with a less developed brain. wink.gif

post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is the trailer for the movie i mentioned above with the high amount of dimensionality. Im curious what people who watch a lot of 3D movies on their TV's think about the amount of depth/popout. Its 1080p, you would have to download it to your TV if you have that functionality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZCYas712g
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page