PS3 for 3D playback.... - AVS Forum
3D Tech Talk > PS3 for 3D playback....
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 08:54 PM 06-27-2012
I have a Sharp LC60LE847U 3D television. I am trying to use my PS3 to play a 3D movie but it won't work. I have the most recent updates on the PS3 so that's not the issue. I have no idea why it won't work ...... HELP!!

Billbofet's Avatar Billbofet 10:08 AM 06-28-2012
You may need to go to "Display Settings" on the PS3 and have it re-detect your display. The PS3 will then recognize you have a 3D display, ask for the screen size, and you should be set. Unfortunately the PS3 won't recognize a 3D display without re-doing this first.

Hope that helps.
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 04:45 PM 06-29-2012
I did that but it never recognized the 3D TV or give me the option to put in what the size of the screen was. I have everything connected through my Onkyo 706 receiver....I wonder if that's the issue??
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 04:57 PM 06-30-2012
TTT
man4mopar's Avatar man4mopar 06:47 PM 06-30-2012
Per this http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR706&class=Receiver&p=i your reciever is the issue as it is only HDMI 1.3, would need to be HDMI 1.4 to pass the 3D spec.
There are various methods to make it work. All require sending HDMI from PS3 to the 3D display then sending audio in various methods to the receiver. Via Optical from the PS3 and under settings have the PS3 send audio out optical and video HDMI. Or can run the sound from tv via optical/digital coax to the receiver. All of which lose the HD sound of HD DTS or HD Dolby and will revert to DTS or Dolby which is still very good.

Or can purchase a 3D BD player with dual HDMI outs which will send HD sound to receiver via HDMI and video to display. a few panasonic 3D BD players offer this or use to.
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 06:54 PM 06-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Per this http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR706&class=Receiver&p=i your reciever is the issue as it is only HDMI 1.3, would need to be HDMI 1.4 to pass the 3D spec.
There are various methods to make it work. All require sending HDMI from PS3 to the 3D display then sending audio in various methods to the receiver. Via Optical from the PS3 and under settings have the PS3 send audio out optical and video HDMI. Or can run the sound from tv via optical/digital coax to the receiver. All of which lose the HD sound of HD DTS or HD Dolby and will revert to DTS or Dolby which is still very good.
Or can purchase a 3D BD player with dual HDMI outs which will send HD sound to receiver via HDMI and video to display. a few panasonic 3D BD players offer this or use to.
Thanks very much for the reply. I was thinking it had something to do with my receiver but wasn't sure what was causing the issue. Is there an optical input on the PS3? I'll have to look at everything once I'm back home again.
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 07:29 AM 07-01-2012
Your receiver may still pass 3D. Connect your PS3 directly to your display and go through the setup process for 3D on the PS3. Then connect it back up to your receiver along with a toslink cable out of the PS3 over to your receiver so you will have sound. Setup the receiver so that you can use toslink input for the PS3 HDMI input.
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 03:33 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Your receiver may still pass 3D. Connect your PS3 directly to your display and go through the setup process for 3D on the PS3. Then connect it back up to your receiver along with a toslink cable out of the PS3 over to your receiver so you will have sound. Setup the receiver so that you can use toslink input for the PS3 HDMI input.
What is toslink? I've never heard of that before.
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle 04:08 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivestrongTL View Post

Quote:

What is toslink? I've never heard of that before.

Toslink is short for "Toshiba Link". It's the optical connection between your PS3 and AVR.
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 04:48 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Toslink is short for "Toshiba Link". It's the optical connection between your PS3 and AVR.

Alright thanks smile.gif I was looking it up on the Future Shop website to see if they carried a digital optical cable, which they do. So, I will pick it up in a few days and play around with it all then and see what I can do. It was pretty cheap, $10 I believe. So, once I connect this cable from my AVR to my PS3 I should be all set for the 3D experience!! smile.gif

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-10-ft-toslink-optical-digital-audio-cable-m-m-thintos10-thintos10/10192537.aspx?path=f764608a02d6e50ec75f1ba56f619ed3en02

hahaha, didn't even notice that it had Toslink in the description until now! smile.gif

Thanks!
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 09:38 PM 07-01-2012
Ck
Quote:

Alright thanks smile.gif I was looking it up on the Future Shop website to see if they carried a digital optical cable, which they do. So, I will pick it up in a few days and play around with it all then and see what I can do. It was pretty cheap, $10 I believe. So, once I connect this cable from my AVR to my PS3 I should be all set for the 3D experience!! smile.gif
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-10-ft-toslink-optical-digital-audio-cable-m-m-thintos10-thintos10/10192537.aspx?path=f764608a02d6e50ec75f1ba56f619ed3en02
hahaha, didn't even notice that it had Toslink in the description until now! smile.gif
Thanks!

Sorry about that! However toslink is only for audio while watching 3D movies. Make sure you connect your PS3 directly to your TV to allow for it to be setup correctly for 3D use. You can do this long before you get that toslink cable. Then after you have the TV working in 3D connect the PS3 again to your AVR to see if it will even pass 3D. It might...but it might not too!

Ron
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 09:41 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:

Ck
Sorry about that! However toslink is only for audio while watching 3D movies. Make sure you connect your PS3 directly to your TV to allow for it to be setup correctly for 3D use. You can do this long before you get that toslink cable. Then after you have the TV working in 3D connect the PS3 again to your AVR to see if it will even pass 3D. It might...but it might not too!
Ron

Thanks again Ron, it'll be another week or so before I get home to give this a shot. When I do, I"m sure I'll be posting back to make sure I"m doing everything correctly! smile.gif
LivestrongTL's Avatar LivestrongTL 04:54 AM 07-13-2012
I did what you recommended Ronomy, and it worked like a charm. Now, I just have to purchase another HDMI cable so I don't have to keep switching cables each time I want to watch 3D movies!! I really appreciate the help smile.gif
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 07:07 PM 07-16-2012
Quote:

I did what you recommended Ronomy, and it worked like a charm. Now, I just have to purchase another HDMI cable so I don't have to keep switching cables each time I want to watch 3D movies!! I really appreciate the help smile.gif

Great news but I read the info here just like you last year! LOL

Happy I could help though...enjoy!

Ron
Up
Mobile  Desktop