How do I watch 3D Youtube videos on my Panasonic passive LCD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a 2012 Panasonic LCD.

I have the native 3d youtube app from the Viera connect menu and also an HTPC hooked up via HDMI.

I play the 3D Youtube stuff with all sorts of settings but nothing ever works. I switch the TV to 2d->3d mode and it still doesnt work. Stuff is displayed like it should be in 3d but it looks the same with the glasses on or off, just a garbled sort of mess.

Is there something special I am supposed to do in order to try out some 3d content on the tv? Do I want interleaved? side by side:? over under?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just set YT's output to whatever the TV is using. You said "passive", but you didn't say what kind of passive. If it's interleaved, then set the output to interleaved. If it's checkerboard, set the output to checkerboard. And so on and so forth.

I'm using a Asus passive monitor, interleaved, and I just set YouTube to interleaved, and it works perfectly fine. Bear in mind that the resolution of your desktop must exactly match the physical resolution of your screen. That's what YT is using to generate the interleaved lines, so if your resolution is off, the lines that YT makes won't match the polarized lines of the monitor.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Just set YT's output to whatever the TV is using. You said "passive", but you didn't say what kind of passive. If it's interleaved, then set the output to interleaved. If it's checkerboard, set the output to checkerboard. And so on and so forth.
I'm using a Asus passive monitor, interleaved, and I just set YouTube to interleaved, and it works perfectly fine. Bear in mind that the resolution of your desktop must exactly match the physical resolution of your screen. That's what YT is using to generate the interleaved lines, so if your resolution is off, the lines that YT makes won't match the polarized lines of the monitor.

Where do I find out what sort of passive it is?

This is the TV: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L47ET5?t=specs

I have tried all the options in Youtube and none of them display in 3D.

What do you mean match resolution of desktop to screen? You mean for 720P youtube I should set desktop to 720P size?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Youtube window adjusts the interleaving to the desktop resolution, regardless of the video resolution.
In order to use Youtube 3D you need to match the desktop resolution to the native resolution of the TV.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #5 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The TV is 1080p, so your desktop resolution has to be set to 1920x1080. If it's set to anything else, then 3D will never work properly. Then set YouTube to interleaved, and let it do the rest. The resolution of the video playing in YT doesn't matter, the 3D interleaving is done separately from the playback.

Mind you, this is just for normal PC playback. I have no idea what that Viera thing is that you mentioned in the OP.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

The TV is 1080p, so your desktop resolution has to be set to 1920x1080. If it's set to anything else, then 3D will never work properly. Then set YouTube to interleaved, and let it do the rest. The resolution of the video playing in YT doesn't matter, the 3D interleaving is done separately from the playback.
Mind you, this is just for normal PC playback. I have no idea what that Viera thing is that you mentioned in the OP.

I put the desktop to both 1080p and 720p. I used an ATI based PC and then hooked up an Nvida powered PC.

With the Nvidia I was able to run the stereostropic 3d settings and run the test fine and see stuff in 3D. With youtube I tried all the settings and nothing would come in clear. I also pushed the 2d->3d button on the Panasonic and that didnt do anything either.

I donloaded SBS movie trailers and tried to play them with a Stereostropic player and I could find no setting that would make it work with the 3D glasses.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I discovered a sub 3d menu...

That might fix it..
post #8 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 AM

Liked: 11
The conversion feature just adds a sense of depth but it is incomparable and not advisable for real 3D viewing. I think this feature is not meant for all videos. I watch 3D YouTube videos on my LG 3D Smart TV and I chose those videos produced or transmitted in 3D like the ESPN X-Games.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 AM

Let me understand with follow points:

1. you have 3D-TV passwive (3D glasses withou battery)
2. You have a Laptop no in 3D but
3. and you want watch 3D videos on your 3D tv, is it right?

I am lookinf forward
Quang Tri
post #10 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dstreaming View Post

Let me understand with follow points:
1. you have 3D-TV passwive (3D glasses withou battery)
2. You have a Laptop no in 3D but
3. and you want watch 3D videos on your 3D tv, is it right?
I am lookinf forward
Quang Tri

3D Panasonic LCD with HTPC hooked up to it via HDMI

I was watching 3D YouTube videos, the ones in actual 3D with the 3D and HD buttons on them.

The TV doesn't detect it automatically, I had to go to the 3D menu and manually pick the side-by-side option to get it to work.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page