The media just will not stop with the attacks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Star56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/tech/gaming-gadgets/3-d-hype-bubble-finally-busted/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room


"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Star56 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
rjruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA, USA
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What attack?

They are stating facts.
rjruby is offline  
post #3 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yeah, I saw that yesterday. The interesting part is that I'm just now getting more into 3D now that I have a 3D display and can watch the stuff at home. I do still insist that it be good 3D, though, and most of what they're producing is still just so-so.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
post #4 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

What attack?
They are stating facts.

PLUS, they go on to put a negative spin on the "facts" to make it sound as if 3D genre is going down the toilet. Star56 calls that an attack. I agree that this article is an attack.

The initial basis for the claim comes from Nintendo. This is pretty typical coming from a company that had a huge failure in its own miniscule implementation of 3D. Their device quality absolutely sucks ( IMO) and now the company is trying to blame the industry "perhaps, slightly on the wane." for their failure to gain a market share. I'd rather hear from companies that have had a huge success story with their implementation of home 3D. Companies like LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Disney, IMAX, Cinemark, and Regal to name a few. If 3D was not adding to the profits of these companies you would not see their 3D offerings on the increase.

Public perception-
It's also interesting that when I'm out shooting a 3D project with my twin cameras, people come up to me more than ever now and volunteer they understand what I'm doing and then tell me they love their new 3D TV. Some ask me what I would suggest for a 3DTV as they've been shopping. The frequency of these experiences directly related to 3D is waxing, not waning. Take a look at you Tube and see how 3D video is getting more and more uploads.

Anymore, when I see these negative articles and posts, I just have to laugh at the ignorance, fear, and doubt from some people. Then I wonder what their motivation is for pooh poohing the medium. I don't understand what is to be gained in this sense. Some have suggested it's that they are simply frustrated they are too poor to afford yet another upgrade and feel sorry for themselves they aren't having the fun with 3D entertainment as well.
Quote:
Last month, 3-D attendance hit a record low for the opening weekend of Pixar's "Brave," with just 32% of revenues coming from 3-D, says the Hollywood Reporter. While "The Avengers" fared better, with a little more than half of sales coming from 3-D tickets, it's not even close to the 83% 3-D revenue that "Avatar" enjoyed in December 2009. The days where you absolutely had to see a hit movie in 3-D are over.

The 3-D TV situation isn't much better. Sales of 3-D televisions are on the rise in the U.S. according to The NPD Group, but only 14% of consumers who might buy a TV in the next six months say 3-D is a "must-have" feature.

Interesting how this is painted as bad numbers. 32% of revenues from 3D is somehow a bad ratio? How does that compare to the 3D % of total from 4-5 years ago? Is IMAX doing just as poor? I wonder what the ratio is for those who go to an IMAX showing vs. a standard screen size showing. I doubt it is 32%. Also, interesting that when that 32% went to see the movie in 3D they also chose to spend more to see the movie. That proves in and of itself that 3D can raise the bar for revenue at the theater. Also, in my home, I haven't bought a 2D Blu Ray movie in well over 2 years, reserving all my discretionary budget for 3D version.
I don't think there was ever a time when all the people just had to see the hit movie in 3D. But given the option, there will be a comfortable % of the people who are willing to spend more to see the movie in 3D. I think 1 in 3 is a healthy %.

14% of TV sales "must have 3D" is a bad number? I'm surprised it is that high considering how "everyone hates 3D" rolleyes.gif

Everyone likes to use Avatar as the benchmark but Avatar was the game changer. It is not a benchmark.

3D content availability is increasing too. Today, I can buy a new 3D movie a week and not keep up with the releases. Last year one per month was lucky. The number of 3D releases is obviously on the rise.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is offline  
post #5 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Airion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
At least with 3-D hype deflated, media and tech companies can focus on more important things. Samsung can put more effort into smart TV.
Quote:
Has the 3-D hype bubble finally burst?

Bubble? Finally? More important things? All we've got here is a 3D hater, Jared Newman, leaning on his status as a reporter to "report" on something he doesn't like.

Here's a fact: You can't kill 3D. We have stereoscopic vision. To enjoy 3D is to enjoy being human.
Airion is offline  
post #6 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Today, I can buy a new 3D movie a week and not keep up with the releases. Last year one per month was lucky. The number of 3D releases is obviously on the rise.

2012 YTD 3D BD releases = 23

2011 YTD 3D BD releases = 26

2010 YTD 3D BD releases = 1

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1235684/the-official-avs-3d-blu-ray-release-schedule
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #7 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Airion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

2012 YTD 3D BD releases = 23

Year to date? We've still got 5 months left in 2012. Is that what we're supposed to understand here, that 3D Blu-ray releases are increasing (we're nearing the 2011 total with almost half the year to go)? Your presentation there doesn't seem to want to suggest that. Are you going to share your opinion and/or analysis here (I wish you would), or are you just throwing statistics at the wall to see what sticks?
Airion is offline  
post #8 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fatshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

2012 YTD 3D BD releases = 23
2011 YTD 3D BD releases = 26
2010 YTD 3D BD releases = 1

So this translates to:
2011 = 2.17 movies per month or 0.5 movies per week
2012 = 3.07 movies per month or 0.8 movies per week

Don't get me wrong...I'm totally in love with 3D and really hope this goes up and bigtime too!!!

IMHO the BIGGEST problems are store-fronts who don't know how to sell 3D. It's absolutely pathetic walking into a store and see their 3D demos playing.
Just the other day...walked in a Costco and couldn't believe how bad it was.
First impressions is EVERYthing. Stores are failing miserably. (That's the BIGGEST problem with 3D today)
It seems to me that they put the absolute worst 3D possible where customers look quickly and drop the glasses as fast.
They are the ones f*ck*ng up this beautiful technology.

Sorry for pouring my frustration here guys...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Fatshaft is online now  
post #9 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

Year to date? We've still got 5 months left in 2012. Is that what we're supposed to understand here, that 3D Blu-ray releases are increasing (we're nearing the 2011 total with almost half the year to go)? Your presentation there doesn't seem to want to suggest that. Are you going to share your opinion and/or analysis here (I wish you would), or are you just throwing statistics at the wall to see what sticks?

The numbers speak for themselves. July 14 is the day the year reaches it's halfway point. Half of 2012 is now over. And as you can see from the numbers, there were more 3D BD releases in the first half of 2011 then there has been for 2012.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #10 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

So this translates to:
2011 = 2.17 movies per month or 0.5 movies per week
2012 = 3.07 movies per month or 0.8 movies per week

confused.gif

Don, how is it possible to release less movies in the first half of 2012 then were released in the exact same time period of 2011 and show a higher release rate in 2012?
Quote:
Don't get me wrong...I'm totally in love with 3D and really hope this goes up and bigtime too!!!
IMHO the BIGGEST problems are store-fronts who don't know how to sell 3D. It's absolutely pathetic walking into a store and see their 3D demos playing.
Just the other day...walked in a Costco and couldn't believe how bad it was.
First impressions is EVERYthing. Stores are failing miserably. (That's the BIGGEST problem with 3D today)
It seems to me that they put the absolute worst 3D possible where customers look quickly and drop the glasses as fast.
They are the ones f*ck*ng up this beautiful technology.
Sorry for pouring my frustration here guys...

IMO, the BIGGEST problem with 3D today is the fact that there is no united front from the industry. The CEMs, Content Providers, Retailers and Content Creators are doing their own thing. And they all expect their efforts to payback 10 fold. Of course, when this doesn't happen (they have the business patience of a 3 year old), they immediately lose interest or take a wait and see attitude.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #11 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The numbers about Brave are telling because they compared it to PG-13 action films and not other CG or family films. I think they'll find that 3D ticket sales with family films are lower across the board than more "adult" films like Avengers and Avatar. In fact, 32% on Brave is higher than I'd expect.

Ever try keeping 3D glasses on a five year old for an hour and a half? That's the reason why most ticket sales were in 2D, not because it's "waning".

Avengers isn't the only 3D release lately. Let's throw the numbers for Prometheus in there.. I bet it wasn't mentioned because the percentage was probably pretty damned high, and didn't support the reporter's claims.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
post #12 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

The numbers about Brave are telling because they compared it to PG-13 action films and not other CG or family films. I think they'll find that 3D ticket sales with family films are lower across the board than more "adult" films like Avengers and Avatar. In fact, 32% on Brave is higher than I'd expect.
Ever try keeping 3D glasses on a five year old for an hour and a half? That's the reason why most ticket sales were in 2D, not because it's "waning".
Avengers isn't the only 3D release lately. Let's throw the numbers for Prometheus in there.. I bet it wasn't mentioned because the percentage was probably pretty damned high, and didn't support the reporter's claims.

PROMETHEUS did 54% it's first weekend. Better then MADAGASCAR 3's 45%.

Cakefoo's most recent chart



Older chart:

Lee Stewart is offline  
post #13 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

So this translates to:
2011 = 2.17 movies per month or 0.5 movies per week
2012 = 3.07 movies per month or 0.8 movies per week
Don't get me wrong...I'm totally in love with 3D and really hope this goes up and bigtime too!!!
IMHO the BIGGEST problems are store-fronts who don't know how to sell 3D. It's absolutely pathetic walking into a store and see their 3D demos playing.
Just the other day...walked in a Costco and couldn't believe how bad it was.
First impressions is EVERYthing. Stores are failing miserably. (That's the BIGGEST problem with 3D today)
It seems to me that they put the absolute worst 3D possible where customers look quickly and drop the glasses as fast.
They are the ones f*ck*ng up this beautiful technology.
Sorry for pouring my frustration here guys...

Don't automatically blame the stores for lousy 3D demos. At the store where I work we have three 3D demos (Samsung, Panny, Sony), none of which even work.
These demos are provided and serviced by the respective mfgs, not store personnel. a "factory rep" (usually a drone from a third party marketing company under contract to the mfg, with no technical knowledge to speak of) comes in and sets up a bunch of equipment involving a flashdrive feed of some sort disguised under a pretty panel with pushbuttons to turn the 3D on and off and a tethered pair of glasses. The person generally can't tell a USB port from an HDMI input and just follows the directions on a printed sheet. Typically the setup will work for a few days or a week and then crap out, I suspect because little kids come in and punch buttons as if they were video game controllers. Store personnel aren't provided with any material to help troubleshoot problems--we're not supposed to mess with it. Repeated attempts to get the "factory rep" back out to fix the problems are fruitless.

Our first Samsung demo, back in 2010 involved a 3D set connected to a 3D BD player, no fancy console buttons etc, and it worked reliably for a year.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #14 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
msantti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just bought a Samsung PN60E7000 plasma set.

Suck it CNN. biggrin.gif
msantti is offline  
post #15 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hey Lee- Did you miss the release I got in last week?: These are low budget and not that great quality but they are 3D releases of older 3D horror adult genre under the Grindhouse label- Blood Sisters and Bloody Tease. Arrived here on Thursday.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is offline  
post #16 of 50 Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Hey Lee- Did you miss the release I got in last week?: These are low budget and not that great quality but they are 3D releases of older 3D horror adult genre under the Grindhouse label- Blood Sisters and Bloody Tease. Arrived here on Thursday.

LOL - thanks for the heads up Don. To be truthful, they wouldn't interest me. But it's nice to see releases other than from the major Hollywood studios.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #17 of 50 Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 PM
 
8traxrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
CNN stands for Chicken Noodle News wink.gif

I've been a 3D fan for a long time, and have been buying almost every 3D Blu-Ray release to show my support and hope that it STAYS this time. I've only seen about 4 3D movies in theaters since its latest comeback though. Why? Because I resent how theaters are charging EXTRA for 3D! They didn't do this in the 50s and 80s, and with regular prices already too high to charge even MORE is insulting and I refuse to support that. I rarely go to theaters at all anymore (I did work in the theater business for 10 years, so I know how it works and how greedy most of the theater owners and movie studios are), and I certainly wouldn't go see a movie in 2D instead just to save money- I just wait for the BD to come out at a reasonable price and buy that. I never would have paid $13 to see John Carter one time at a theater, but buying it on sale for $20 was a great deal since I've watched it once and will watch it again many more times. I did recently pay $17.50 to see Prometheus at an IMAX theater and felt extremely ripped-off, I likely won't ever pay that much to see a movie again.

Not everyone can appreciate 3D, but not everyone appreciates multi-channel sound either and that's been around for decades now. Not everyone has it set up properly at home, but those who do usually love it! As someone who DOES appreciate 3D, I just hope that it will be used intelligently and not as a gimmick, and also that they shoot them in REAL 2-camera 3D and stop with the silly post-conversions. I've seen a few converted movies that still looked good (John Carter looked MUCH better than I expected it to), but it's still just silly to do that.
8traxrule is offline  
post #18 of 50 Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

CNN stands for Chicken Noodle News wink.gif
I've been a 3D fan for a long time, and have been buying almost every 3D Blu-Ray release to show my support and hope that it STAYS this time. I've only seen about 4 3D movies in theaters since its latest comeback though. Why? Because I resent how theaters are charging EXTRA for 3D! They didn't do this in the 50s and 80s, and with regular prices already too high to charge even MORE is insulting and I refuse to support that..

It costs about $100,000 to upgrade a screen from 35mm to digital (At the end of 2011, there were almost 39,000 screens in the USA). The theaters lease the 3D equipment from Dolby and RealD for a per admission fee (around $.25 per ticket). You really think the theaters and studios would absorb that kind of an expense without passing it off to consumers?

The 3D craze of the 1950's was Hollywood's reaction to consumers buying television sets for their homes so they had no need to go to the movies for visual entertainment. Remember - before TV there was . . . movies in theaters . . . and radio.

OBTW, according to NATO, the average ticket price in 1954 was $.49

PS OBTW (biggrin.gif) If everyone felt like you did and refused to buy 3D tickets, guess what would happen . . . No more 3D movies. Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #19 of 50 Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The theaters lease the 3D equipment from Dolby and RealD for a per admission fee (around $.25 per ticket). You really think the theaters and studios would absorb that kind of an expense without passing it off to consumers?
They're charging a hell of a lot more than 25¢ for the upgrade. The local theater here actually has really good prices compared to just about everywhere else, but 3D tickets are almost double.

I think they also claim the cost of glasses, including lost or broken glasses, and the cleaning/recycling process. But, I bring my own glasses.. I don't need theirs.

I can see them charging a little extra.. maybe a buck. But that's not what they're doing. Yes, I'll probably be buying just about every Blu-ray from here on in 3D now that I have a way to watch them at home, but I won't always see them in theaters in 3D.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
post #20 of 50 Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

They're charging a hell of a lot more than 25¢ for the upgrade. The local theater here actually has really good prices compared to just about everywhere else, but 3D tickets are almost double.

Please read my previous post again. The $.25 per 3D ticket fee goes to RealD or Dolby for the 3D equipment that is attached to the $100,000 digital projector upgrade. THAT is why you are paying a premium, along with the additional cost for Hollywood to produce 3D movies.

I live in ABQ, NM. My theater of choice is United Artists Cottonwood Stadium 10. They charge $7.50 for 2D and $11.00 for 3D (adult tickets). But because I qualify as a Senior, I only pay $10.00 for a 3D ticket.
Quote:
I think they also claim the cost of glasses, including lost or broken glasses, and the cleaning/recycling process. But, I bring my own glasses.. I don't need theirs. I can see them charging a little extra.. maybe a buck. But that's not what they're doing. Yes, I'll probably be buying just about every Blu-ray from here on in 3D now that I have a way to watch them at home, but I won't always see them in theaters in 3D.

AFAIK, the studios have been paying for the 3D glasses, not the theaters.

Remember . . . if no one goes to the theaters to see 3D movies . . . there won't be any 3D Blu-rays.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #21 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

LOL - thanks for the heads up Don. To be truthful, they wouldn't interest me. But it's nice to see releases other than from the major Hollywood studios.

That was just one example, Lee. For people to accurately extrapolate derivative conclusions from your lists as factual, you need to add such disclaimers like the one you just admitted to above. e.g. This is a list of all the 3D videos released "That interest me" That way others could then qualify their conclusions that the opinion is based solely on the list of videos that Lee Stewart has approved of. biggrin.gif IMO, I would include any and all 3D productions that are available commercially regardless of whether I felt the title interest me. Remember when Avatar came out? There were some people who felt the story was awful and not worthy of their time!
I don't believe your list is restricted to just "major" Hollywood studios either. Seems the only qualifier is your personal approval. I have no problem with that, but lets be honest about the numbers and what they mean. We have enough problems with bloggers and 3D haters seeking negative information in their quest to harm the industry. In most cases I can debunk their prejudice as intellectual hacks with discovery of some personal agenda. My only agenda is to enjoy and have fun with the 3D genre. If the industry dies tomorrow, I'll be sad but that will not deter my enthusiasm and desire to continue to make my own productions in 3D. I was game before 3D became so popular and will be game if it ever dies. Today, with the ever INCREASING popularity of 3D, I now have the tools to do this hobby the way I want.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is offline  
post #22 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

That was just one example, Lee. For people to accurately extrapolate derivative conclusions from your lists as factual, you need to add such disclaimers like the one you just admitted to above. e.g. This is a list of all the 3D videos released "That interest me" That way others could then qualify their conclusions that the opinion is based solely on the list of videos that Lee Stewart has approved of. biggrin.gif IMO, I would include any and all 3D productions that are available commercially regardless of whether I felt the title interest me. Remember when Avatar came out? There were some people who felt the story was awful and not worthy of their time!
I don't believe your list is restricted to just "major" Hollywood studios either. Seems the only qualifier is your personal approval. I have no problem with that, but lets be honest about the numbers and what they mean. We have enough problems with bloggers and 3D haters seeking negative information in their quest to harm the industry. In most cases I can debunk their prejudice as intellectual hacks with discovery of some personal agenda. My only agenda is to enjoy and have fun with the 3D genre. If the industry dies tomorrow, I'll be sad but that will not deter my enthusiasm and desire to continue to make my own productions in 3D. I was game before 3D became so popular and will be game if it ever dies. Today, with the ever INCREASING popularity of 3D, I now have the tools to do this hobby the way I want.

Sorry Don, you couldn't be more wrong in your analysis. The 3D BD release schedule has NOTHING to do with my personal approvals, wants, desires or any other BS you want to list. It is simply a listing of major studio 3D BD releases and upcoming releases. No - it is not a list of every single 3D BD released as a few independents "fly under the radar" and are not listed by major sorces that announce 3D BDs. Many of the titles were provided by other members, like cakefoo, to keep the list up dated. So where have YOU been the last 2 years Don? Not a single post from you on that thread.

The numbers are what they are. The fact that you may not like the conclusion - well, that's your problem.

And despite what you think - they media is correct - 3D is dying in the theaters. Consumers are just not willing to cough up the 3D ticket premium price anymore. It just isn't imporant enough to them. When the % goes from 60 to 80% in favor of 3D revenue, down to 35 to 55% revenue, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a lot less 3D tickets are being sold. But it is obvious that YOUR personal agenda has clouded your vision to these facts. Try to be more objective in the future Don.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #23 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fatshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I'll say again...3D will flop if they continue to f*ck up the quality of 3D showings!
Movie theaters to TV's to Projectors.

There's unbelievable differences between one TV to the next and the same applies to Theaters and Projectors.
Lots of people I speak to who went to watch a 3D movie in a theater were unimpressed.
How could you blow someones mind to death if the quality sucks!

I've just gotten into 3D and am appalled at the differences out there!

Biggest example
When i saw Avatar in a theater, I was blown away.
Then I saw Avengers in a theater and couldn't stop bitching.

Different theater, different projector, different quality.

Now I watch 3D with my projector and despite having a very average projector (for 3D) I'm still loving it!

Quality is everything!

That's JMHO


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Fatshaft is online now  
post #24 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My local theater has five different movies showing in 3D today. That seems a lot more than they had on any day last year. I posted a similar observation just a couple months ago. Lee, are you sure 3D is dying in the theaters? I really seriously think the number of 3D theater releases is on the rise. Do we have a reliable count similar to that on Blu rays? Because I think one would show a very significant increase in the number of movies released into theaters in 3D this year, and I think that would be an important metric.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #25 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Furthermore, in terms of quality, we have Hugo, The Avengers, and Pirates, Band of Misfits to cite as good, fairly recent examples. So, I disagree. Frankly, most of the best movies of the past year were 3D.

Have you all seen Cave of Forgotten Dreams? It would be nothing much in 2D, but in 3D!!! So, please. The premature announcement of the death of 3D is greatly exaggerated.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #26 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49

That CNN report is just quoting another report, namely, this one.

http://techland.time.com/2012/07/13/the-3d-hype-bubble-is-now-completely-busted/

which got some of it data from here http://www.mpaa.org/resources/5bec4ac9-a95e-443b-987b-bff6fb5455a9.pdf

He failed to mention that his statistics only referred to the US and Canada, ignoring the international numbers:
Quote:
Each international region experienced growth in 2011.


I also find it interesting that he only used part of the "drop in box office" quote, leaving off the parts in bold type
Quote:
2011 U.S./Canada box office was $10.2 billion, down 4% compared to $10.6 billion in 2010, but up 6% from five years ago. Despite strong second and third quarter box office performance, 2011 box office did not fully overcome the slow start in the first quarter. 3D film releases increased, yet 3D box office was down $400 million in 2011 compared to 2010, which contained Avatar’s record-breaking 3D box office performance.

according to wikipedia, Avatar's share in that was over $760 million,
Quote:
Avatar grossed $760,507,625 in the U.S. and Canada
so the overall box office actually increased $360 million, when you take Avatar out of the equation.

Coincidentally, Avatar's share in 3D just happened to be $400 million,
Quote:
Avatar made $400 million in 2010 from its re-release and other revenue
http://falsecreekproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/3Ds-Effect-on-Box-Off-3-14-2011.pdf

so the 3D box office didn't decline either, when you take Avatar out of the equation.


and he also failed to quote that the decline was due to an overall decline in admissions:
Quote:
The decline in U.S./Canada box office was due to an equivalent decline in admissions (-4%) compared to 2010,


Of course, the use of the words "hype bubble" is just a copy of the term "housing bubble", showing a lack of imagination in the writer, and an obvious headline blurb to get his opinion read. It also seems odd that the fact that consumers have cut back because of the recession was not even mentioned. The only "hype bubble" here is media hype.

Another interesting but unrelated statistic is:
Quote:
Ticket sales continue to be driven by frequent moviegoers, who represent only 10% of the population but purchase half of all movie tickets.

Edit: I also find it interesting that 3DTV sales were reported on the rise for the same period movie sales were down. "Honey, we've got this 3DTV here that we just dropped a lot of cash on. Do you want to watch a movie here or go pay to see one in the theater?" Hmmmm.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 
Augerhandle is offline  
post #27 of 50 Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
 
8traxrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Theaters switching from 35mm to digital saves a TON of money in the long run. Theaters don't have to pay anybody to run the films, now they only need to program in the showtimes each week and they're good to go, the computers do the rest. Studios save a ton from shipping movies on hard drives instead of heavy film prints. If anything, digital should result in LOWER ticket prices than before, but of course everyone is too greedy to let that happen.

I was REALLY insulted when I saw a 3D COMMERCIAL before one movie recently. We had paid an extra $3.50 each for the 3D, and they were using this technology that supposedly cost them $3.50 extra per person to show us something they were being PAID to show. The advertiser was Friskies cat food, which I had been buying regularly for my two cats but switched to a different brand after seeing this commercial, and I contacted the company to let them know why. If the ad revenue had subsidized the cost of the 3D and everyone had been charged just the regular ticket price or less, I may have reacted more favorably to it. (And one reason I prefer watching movies at home is because my cats can watch with me!)
8traxrule is offline  
post #28 of 50 Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sorry Don, you couldn't be more wrong in your analysis. The 3D BD release schedule has NOTHING to do with my personal approvals, wants, desires or any other BS you want to list. It is simply a listing of major studio 3D BD releases and upcoming releases. No - it is not a list of every single 3D BD released as a few independents "fly under the radar" and are not listed by major sorces that announce 3D BDs. Many of the titles were provided by other members, like cakefoo, to keep the list up dated. So where have YOU been the last 2 years Don? Not a single post from you on that thread.
The numbers are what they are. The fact that you may not like the conclusion - well, that's your problem.
And despite what you think - they media is correct - 3D is dying in the theaters. Consumers are just not willing to cough up the 3D ticket premium price anymore. It just isn't imporant enough to them. When the % goes from 60 to 80% in favor of 3D revenue, down to 35 to 55% revenue, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a lot less 3D tickets are being sold. But it is obvious that YOUR personal agenda has clouded your vision to these facts. Try to be more objective in the future Don.

A few points, Lee.

First of all I don't like posting in the hate 3D threads unless I find something completely baseless. I only quoted what you said that list was, but maybe you didn't mean it to be what you were interested in as approved for the list. I agree that it must be unofficial and incomplete. Regardless what I really don't agree with is that a conclusion is formed that says 3D is dying and especially, your claim that the theaters revenue is dropping considerably. I. Do admit not paying attention to the bloggers with a negative spin on 3D. Instead, as a stock holder in RGC I read the financials and the analyst reports. Here, we get the truth as regulated by the SEC. The truth is that ticket sales in general have been on the decline since April, however, noted is the comment about 3D. Here, the revenue boost from 3D ticket sales premium made up for losses overall, keeping the profit flat. Regal attributes a decent qtr due solely to the boost in 3D revenue premium. As such, they promised to continue to run as much 3D as available to cover losses in overall ticket sales during slow periods. Regal also stated that they feel the studios will do more and more 3D as well as IMAX for the same reason. So what did this do for the stock? When it should have turned negative due to dropping ticket sales overall, it turned and began to grow since April. So why do I have Regal rather than Cinemark? The dividend! But, as both are well heeled in 3D around here, with multiple 3D offerings, I assume Cinemarks revenue model is similar. That is, they rely on the revenue boost of 3D for covering losses during declining ticket sales overall.

Bottom line-- I see nothing compelling in getting the numbers, much less drawing conclusions, from bloggers data. I prefer to draw my conclusions from the financial reports and earnings calls from the companies themselves. Second and last, I read the analysts that cover the companies who are regulated on what they report. I also feel people who have no invested interest other than their time to post in the threads are driven by emotion. I am driven to protect my investment in the companies and need the facts, not some emotional blog of gloom and doom or all is rosey.

Finally, just want to say I don't expect to convince those who believe in gloom and doom for 3D are misinformed or that they are extrapolating the numbers incorrectly. I just point out that this is what I believe and interpret from the source that pays me a good dividend while growing my investment in an area that I also enjoy as a hobby.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is offline  
post #29 of 50 Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

My local theater has five different movies showing in 3D today. That seems a lot more than they had on any day last year. I posted a similar observation just a couple months ago. Lee, are you sure 3D is dying in the theaters? I really seriously think the number of 3D theater releases is on the rise. Do we have a reliable count similar to that on Blu rays? Because I think one would show a very significant increase in the number of movies released into theaters in 3D this year, and I think that would be an important metric.

The number of 3D movies in the theaters has been preset a while ago. The only real "yardstick" to determine consumers acceptance of 3D is the 3D/2D ticket revenue %. And that % has been falling. 32% for BRAVE is not a good %. Nor is 52% for THE AVENGERS.

I am addressing the USA BO.

You can go over to the 3D CONTENT FORUM where there are two sticky threads; one for 3D BD releases and one for 3D movies in theaters.

Here is a chart (from Cakefoo) showing 3D revenue % form AVATAR on as a comparison:

Lee Stewart is offline  
post #30 of 50 Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

That CNN report is just quoting another report, namely, this one.
http://techland.time.com/2012/07/13/the-3d-hype-bubble-is-now-completely-busted/
which got some of it data from here http://www.mpaa.org/resources/5bec4ac9-a95e-443b-987b-bff6fb5455a9.pdf
Just goes to show, the face of modern journalism. Pick out the parts that support your argument and ignore the rest. And then put it up as unbiased fact on one of the biggest news sites in the world. Nice.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off