Completely stumped! 3D DLP projector setup - All I want to do is watch Avatar Bluray 3D! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Finally decided that I need to speak to people that actually have an idea of what they are doing.

I have a Benq MS510 projector that is plugged into my PC via HDMI. (the audio is then outputted to my surround sound).

I have a set of DLP link glasses.

Now, I have a blu ray player in my PC and a copy of Avatar 3D and the lion king (SBS).

My computer has a Nvidea GTX 470 installed.

I've tried playing through the Stereoscopic player but my projector is meant to change to 120hz, but the option in the projector menu doesn't appear.

I know my card is meant to transmit at 120hz, but how do I go about it?

I've tried the Nvidea 3DTV play software but apparently you still need the 3D vision kit.

Is there any way to output my card to 120hz? Maybe software that can do it?

Or do I have to buy the Nvidea kit?

Anyone know of any third party software that can sort this out?

Huge Thanks in advance smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You need a 3D Bluray player. Is the player in your computer a 3D Bluray player?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your assistance.

I thought this may be the case, it is not a 3D player.

BUT, yesterday I went out and bought a standalone samsung Bluray 3D player.

Now, I plugged the HDMI lead into my Benq MS510 and the player, put in Avatar 3D and then went to play in 3D.

It said that no 3D device is connected to the player and the movie couldn't be played in 3D.

I read the manual for the projecter and apparently, to play 3D, I have to use a yellow plugged video lead (as 3d plays in 1024x768) and not HDMI.

---

well I have a 25 metre one ( yellow end, on coax) and plugged it in the back of the player and the projector, I then got a message saying that 'the jack cannot be used to output, please use HDMI'

I checked the manual and it is definitely the correct plug.

I'm guessing the cable is too long and needs to be coax so the player tells me I can't use it?

Theres also a digital out (orangy red plug) on the back of the player, when trying to use that, nothing happens but i'm guessing that may be a special lead.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The player is looking for an HDMI 1.4 3D device. If your projector isn't a compatible device, it can't tell the player to switch to 3D.

You need

1. A 3D-enabled Television or 3D-enabled Video Projector. This includes LCD, Plasma, and DLP Televisions, as well as DLP and LCD-type video projectors. All 3D-enabled Televisions and Projectors will be able to work with the 3D standards now approved for Blu-ray and over-the-air, Cable, and Satellite transmission.

2. A 3D-enabled Blu-ray Disc player, HD-Cable, or HD-Satellite Box.

3. 3D Content (Blu-ray Discs, Cable, and/or Satellite programs).

4. 3D Glasses.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheatervideobasics/f/what_do_I_need_to_watch_3d.htm

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyelland1234 View Post

Thanks for your assistance.
I thought this may be the case, it is not a 3D player.
BUT, yesterday I went out and bought a standalone samsung Bluray 3D player.
Now, I plugged the HDMI lead into my Benq MS510 and the player, put in Avatar 3D and then went to play in 3D.
It said that no 3D device is connected to the player and the movie couldn't be played in 3D.
I read the manual for the projecter and apparently, to play 3D, I have to use a yellow plugged video lead (as 3d plays in 1024x768) and not HDMI.
---
well I have a 25 metre one ( yellow end, on coax) and plugged it in the back of the player and the projector, I then got a message saying that 'the jack cannot be used to output, please use HDMI'
I checked the manual and it is definitely the correct plug.
I'm guessing the cable is too long and needs to be coax so the player tells me I can't use it?
Theres also a digital out (orangy red plug) on the back of the player, when trying to use that, nothing happens but i'm guessing that may be a special lead.

Your projector is only pc 3d ready. As per the projector central website that means it works in conjunction through a 3d signal sent from a pc (special conditions apply). However this projector is not compatible with stand alone 3d blu-ray players, so the player is still not finding a 3d display.

In conclusion, you are kind of screwed. For a stand alone 3d player, you need a projector like the Optoma gt750 or some other models that are 3d ready. Maybe if you added one of those processors (Optoma 3dxl, but those things are expensive especially when you consider you are still dealing with a 4:3 aspect projector.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I believe Stereoscopic player calls frame sequential 3D format "Page Flipping" format.
A yellow RCA connector/cable is normally for SD NTSC 480i video and has nothing to do with 3D
post #7 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys,

I contacted Benq ( a while ago) and they sent me this guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmw5c5zt0cvkx4x/3D_SOP.pdf

It has a 3D bluray player on it which is connected to the projector.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyelland1234 View Post

Thanks for the replies guys,
I contacted Benq ( a while ago) and they sent me this guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmw5c5zt0cvkx4x/3D_SOP.pdf
It has a 3D bluray player on it which is connected to the projector.

Actually if you look at that diagram it does NOT have a 3d bluray player attached. They have specifically labeled everything "dvd player" and they make this specification about the media "Make sure 3D DVD disk is HQFS format". I'm pretty sure a 3d Blu-ray disk is not a 3d dvd disc in hqfs.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 AM

hat // Sep 3, 2012 at 12:20

Jacob // Jan 3, 2011 at 13:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA7wrU0iI5o

This should work for any 720p 3d dlp projector and another driver would work on a 1080p smile.gif
thanks that acer 5360 inf driver worked for BenQ MS500
for the first time i could see 3D at MVIDIA setup wizard – the next step is setup STEREOSCOPIC player for viewing videos..

from this forum:
http://3dvision-blog.com/4100-how-to-use-any-3d-dlp-projector-together-with-3d-vision/

it is very tweaky the get this going i finally got it working with hdmi on NVIDIA card from pc to BENQms510 - I dont think BENQ support have no idea how tweaky this should be...? installing an acer driver to finally get 3D......
read more about that on 3dvision-blog.com

cool.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 AM

John:

The BenQ Projectors are 3D-Ready which means you need a Nvidia Quadbuffer card to play back 3D from a PC. This is a common misconception for people with the 3D-Ready Projectors verses 3D-Enabled.

There is hardware from Optoma that can take the 3D BluRay or TV Signal and output to the BenQ projector to enable 3D Viewing for the 3D DLP Link. In January this is all going to change and TI will be releasing a new chip set in the projectors that will eliminate the need for special hardware or graphics cards.

Below is a link to Optoma 3D-XL Converter Box:

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-3D-XL-Converter-Video-Gaming/dp/B0047ZH3CW

Hope this helps.

Dennis

CEO and Founder, Presente3D
Bringing 3D Functionality to Microsoft Powerpoint

post #11 of 15 Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM

Liked: 13
there is only one helpful reply in this entire thread and it is htxap's. if you don;t have this (or similar) projector with an nvidia pc setup and dlplink glasses,don't guess at solutions. There is no such thing as a "3d" PC bluray drive. if you meant the actual software, he already said 'stereoscopic player" which is 3d. He sure didn;t need to buy a standalone 3d bluray player (3d ready projectors won;t work with them) He also doesn;t need a converter box. in fact, he doesn;t need anything except some good information and an hour to figure it out.

nvidia must be tricked with software/drivers to enable 3D without the nvidia 3d kit (which you wouldn;t want anyway for dlp link) This can be done with drivers, or a small batch file to run before the setup/playback programs. ATI cards do 3D without this hassle because they aren;t forcing you to buy the $200 playback kit.
playback software must be configured correctly.. usually the automatic settings do not work. total media theater 5 works fine, i have not used steroscopic player.

follow the guides. you will know you have it working when nvidia shows the device in output options. you may have to clean install older 285.62 drivers. once you can enable the 120hz via hdmi, then you can configure the player for correct output mode (not automatic) and dlp link, reverse etc. once you have it sorted, it will work everytime.

yeah, it's a hassle but it's free. ask if you get stuck.. but those other forums will probably be more helpful. good luck.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
DragonSixGolf is correct. I have never seen sooo many people give the wrong info. I have a very similiar setup in my basement and it works without a 3D bluRay player or a 1.4a certified connection. My HTPC has hacked drivers to make the nvidia drivers think I have an "official" 3D projector and it works great. For the OP, make sure you the monitor drivers installed and 120Hz refresh rate selected in its properties. From there, play with the display output format in stereoscopic player. Any DLP link glasses should work. PM me if you need more help.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM

hI..i have ordered the 5360 and am utterly confused myself. Here is what I have:

5360 (ordered but not received)
Gateway NV59 with first gen i5, 4GB ram and Interl graphics card with HDMI out
I can install any software needed on my laptop - I have powerdvd and stereoscopic player
I have some HSBS 3D files on my laptop.
I will buy the DLP link glasses soon once this haze gets cleared.

I know from various threads that I dont need a 3D blu ray player unless that is the source of my 3D. In my case it is not the source
I have been told that if I tell my laptop to identify the projector as a second display and output at 120HZ, then I dont need Optoma 3DXL or monoprice 3D converter. IS it true?

Please clarify if it is possible to get 3D on my Acer 5360 with only a normall laptop+DLP glasses and HSBS files on the laptop. Also can all laptops with Intel graphics card with HDMI out - do a 120HZ output?

Urgency is that I live in India and have few friends in US returning in a fortnight and hence need to buy before they leave.

Thanks in advance for all your help
post #14 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM

your 3d option on your projector doesn't show up because your graphics card isn't set to 120 hz. to get it to show up you need to right click on your desktop click on graphics property change refresh rate to 120 hz you should see your 3d setting in your projector menu once you do that.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
+1 on the 120hz output requirement.

If you are on VGA you should be able to output 120hz at the native resolution of the projector.

If you are on HDMI 1.3 you wont be able to do 120hz@1080p but 120hz@720p should work.

The guide below should work for any DLP based projector.

http://www.eurosell.it/repository/imgarticles/SCPR/BE5JJ3925001.pdf
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page