Do I need a 3D receiver to pass thru 3D Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Onkyo TX-NR 905 receiver. I have Direct TV HD DVR that is 3D ready, and I have just installed a Panny TC-P65VZT50 3D plasma TV. When I went to DTV's 3D channels, it says either my display device and/or my receiver is not 3D. I am passing the video feed thru and Onkyo TC-NR901 receiver. Does my receiver need to be 3D ready for the feedthru or is there something I can do such that the DTV DVR doesn't thik I have a not ready for prime time 3D TV?

Tim in Houston
Anthem D2v(update installed), Parsound Halo A51 5 Ch Amp, DirecTV DVR(3d), LG BDP, Onkyo CD Player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 Turntable, Cambridge Audio phone pre-amp, Knoll 50 Amp whole house distribution amp, Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm ADP 690 Center, Paradigm Millenia Rear,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I have an Onkyo 806 which isn't 3D compatible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think framepacked 3D won't pass through the receiver, but side by side content will. When I go to the 3D channels I have, I get two side by side images, then I manually change the 3D to side by side on my projector and it works. So perhaps your DTV 3D channels are frame packed. And yes, my satellite is hooked up via hdmi through my non-3D ready receiver. Hope that helps. Worst case scenario is you hook up the dvr directly to your tv, and then hopefully your dvr also has a toslink or digital coaxial output for 5.1 audio.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure what you mean by Side x Side vs frame packed. Anyway all of my equipment is in a video closet some 50 ft from the TV, so open to any ideas still. DO youthink there is a way to bypass the receiver for video and just have audio going to it? The problem lies in that all other components for video feed thru the receiver also, such as BD,and yes even an older VHS VCR.
T
Thanks,

Tim in Houston
Anthem D2v(update installed), Parsound Halo A51 5 Ch Amp, DirecTV DVR(3d), LG BDP, Onkyo CD Player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 Turntable, Cambridge Audio phone pre-amp, Knoll 50 Amp whole house distribution amp, Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm ADP 690 Center, Paradigm Millenia Rear,...
post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I think you answered your own question...
post #5 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohai View Post

Not sure what you mean by Side x Side vs frame packed. Anyway all of my equipment is in a video closet some 50 ft from the TV, so open to any ideas still. DO youthink there is a way to bypass the receiver for video and just have audio going to it? The problem lies in that all other components for video feed thru the receiver also, such as BD,and yes even an older VHS VCR.
T
Thanks,

I think 50 feet is far too long a run for HDMI without a repeater. Try temporarily moving your TV closer and using a shorter HDMI cable to test it. Also, if it's been some time since you ran your wiring, there's a good chance your HDMI cables are not High Speed certified.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Bypassed the onkyo and connected my 1.3 hdmi directly in to the balun. 3D now works flawlessly being transmitted over Cat 6 wire to another balun then 1.3 hdmi back to the tv

Tim in Houston
post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Hopefully this will answer some questions:
Non 3D receiver - no frame packed pass thru (ie. 3D blu ray player); Cable tv with 3d content (sbs or tob) yes.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page