How disruptive is this technology? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw a tweet this morning from HipHop Gamer about a demo he had seen of the new 3D technology from the guy who invented the LCD Projector. This stuff turns any 2D input into 3D he says - TV, movies, games, whatever from your own TV. How disruptive is this technology?? I know i can't personally afford a 3DTV, but this would be a no brainer. Here's what HipHopGamer had to say: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=755978&l=e67954d796&id=123956424363649 (also a link to more information about the technology itself)

EDIT: post on SlashGear too. this thing is blowing up http://www.slashgear.com/3-d-vision-ceo-gene-dolgoff-speaks-on-his-magical-2d-to-3d-conversion-device-30240885/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have absolutely zero faith that any automatic conversion technology will ever be able to differentiate between the true layers of a 2D shot.

What they really need to do push technology forward is to quit messing around with 2D displays and start working on genuine 3D holographic display technology. Then we can quit with the glasses and "conversions" and all that other stuff.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 48
Sorry but I think the whole holographic idea has so many problems its probably not going to happen in my lifetime.
If you are waiting for it to replace screen based 2D and 3D entertainment for the masses, don't hold your breath!
post #4 of 13 Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Turning the original Super Mario Brothers into 3D is exceedingly underwhelming. It's what, two layers? Foreground and background. Separate the two, and now it's 3D!

I hope this is in fact something really good, but with very few details, it sounds like snake oil.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

Sorry but I think the whole holographic idea has so many problems its probably not going to happen in my lifetime.
If you are waiting for it to replace screen based 2D and 3D entertainment for the masses, don't hold your breath!
I'm not, I'm already an adopter. I just don't think continuing to use 2D displays is the "future" of 3D video. What we're doing now is a workaround at best because the display itself is still 2D, no matter how they spin it.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

I'm not, I'm already an adopter. I just don't think continuing to use 2D displays is the "future" of 3D video. What we're doing now is a workaround at best because the display itself is still 2D, no matter how they spin it.

IMO, the biggest complaint is two-fold; the glasses and the dimmer images (caused by the glasses). So when Autostereoscopic 3D becomes a reality in the next few years, that will revitalize 3D, at least for the home market. Very difficult to pull off in theaters.

Holograms? I just don't see it as a viable tech. What? People are now going to no longer sit down and watch movies? Instead they will walk around the images? Too much of a social change. THAT would truly be a gimmick.

All kinds of changes could be made to 3D in the future:

48 or 60 frames/sec
4K resolution
8K resolution
4D In-Theater Effects

All work with 2D screens.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I don't see the motion picture industry adopting holography as it completely changes the entire performance of the story. More so than when we went from stage play to movies. But I do see holography having a great impact in kiosk advertising and demonstrations. Also, for news and interviews putting the holographic interviewee in front of the interviewer. Not saying movie holography will never happen but I'm sure not in my lifetime or maybe even my daughter's.

More realistically, The next big thing will be the 4K as these are expected to hit the market this Fall. I look forward to these in 4K passive as that will enable the best resolution for all present Blu Ray media now on the market. I'm a customer of the 3D 4K LED 65" panel when it comes out!

4D has been around for a long time. I've wanted the D-Box for quite some time but it has yet to reach purchase because of higher priorities for my money. Still, I get a real entertainment kick going to Disney and seeing their 4D presentations. It's one of my favorite experiences at Disney. I go several times a year.

I think 8K will be nice, but until we see content for it, there will be no incentive. I've seen 8K and it looks great on a 100" panel screen.

Higher frame rate has been around for quite awhile in shooting and home displays but the revolution here will be in the movie theaters. Can't say I have seen this yet. I don't go to the theater that often.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not talking about "next big thing", and when I say the "future of cinema", I'm talking about a century or more in the future, not the next ten years. Long term theorycrafting, don't spend too much time nitpicking it, or this thread will be a laughing stock when someone digs it up a hundred years from now. smile.gif

post #9 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

I'm not talking about "next big thing", and when I say the "future of cinema", I'm talking about a century or more in the future, not the next ten years. Long term theorycrafting, don't spend too much time nitpicking it, or this thread will be a laughing stock when someone digs it up a hundred years from now. smile.gif

Holography has been around for 50 years. And in that 50 years, it has barely made any progress as far as picture quality. 100 years from now? Get real tongue.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:

Why? Presenting two offset 2D images, one to each eye allowing our visual cortex to create 3D is precisely how we see in the real world in actual fact. Flat displays are the simplest most efficient way to replicate that.

Also I just don't see semi opaque images cutting it with people, not for entertainment at least. We want solid looking 3D images, difficult to produce with holographic technology as it stands. I agree with Lee and Don. Its going to be flat autostereoscopic high resolution displays that we will see going forward, not holographic technology. By the time they can pull that off, they may as well go the whole hog and produce holodecks instead.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll repeat: Don't nitpick it. We're talking about entirely different technologies, and I"m not going to try to explain what I mean by "holographic display" to you (here's a hint: What I'm talking about does not currently exist, in ANY form). I'm done talking about this. Can we get back ON TOPIC please.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Holography has been around for 50 years. And in that 50 years, it has barely made any progress as far as picture quality. 100 years from now? Get real tongue.gif

Yes, but remember holography is 100% laser based. Solid state lasers have become run-of-the mill now. High output solid state lasers are what's needed for consumer holography. The other missing piece FILM. Holographs are made using traditional film technology. Holographic videos would likely have to be made with film cameras, then technology would have to be developed to represent the holographic data digitally. This might be possible, since you would likely only need to capture 45% of the hologram.

Trivia: did you know if you cut a holographic film image into 4 pieces, each piece contains the full image, but at lower resolution?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page