Active vs. Active 3D Glasses? Are glasses really universal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My kids love 3D movies. It seems like all of the kids movies these days come in 3D at theatre. Now that we have a new Pana ST50 at home capable of 3D they want to watch'em at home in 3D too. I guess they are used to wearing the glasses, etc. Yesterday we needed an extra pair and in a pinch I bought a pair of Sony BR-250 glasses but wasn't able to get them to work. Now I'm told that the new the Pana, Sony, and Samsung TV's and glasses are all following a new glasses standard -- so why didn't my glasses work? Has anyone had luck with these glasses on a new Pana 3D Movie?

Btw, the movie that they were watching was 'Toy Story 3'. It really does look great in 3D. The kids recently took me to 'Madagascar 3 in 3D' as well. It looked amazing too. I did see Titanic and Pirates 4(?) in 3D and I didn't find them enjoyable in 3D at all.

Any advice on active shutter 3D glasses that do with work with Sony, Pana, Samsung?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The active glases standard has only recently been approved and should go into effect next year. Currently the ones from the TV manufacturers are definitly not universal.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Luckily I was able to return the Sony glasses that didn't pair with my TV.

I thought the group approved the standard last year or the year before? Regardless, I've been able to confirm that the Samsung glasses from this year (SSG-4100) work with Panasonic's 2012 line-up.

While many reports from last year indicate that Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony adopted the system defined by xSpan3D, it appears that SONY is the ONLY one that hasn't fully implemented it.

I found that these white paper/sites made good assessments of last year's models:

http://cmst.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/pubs/2011-17-woods-helliwell-3D-Sync-IR.pdf

http://www.3dmovielist.com/3dglasses.html#sony-tdgbr250
post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

oops.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page