PS3 for 3D audio not synchronized with video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately, I only have 1 3D Blu Ray to fully diagnose my problem, but thought I'd check here anyway -

Last night, I popped in my brand new Avengers 3D Blu Ray and come to find out the audio is out of sync with the video. The audio is about a tenth of a second ahead of the video, which is not horrible, but still annoying. Everything else is working fine.

The regular non-3D Blu Ray does not experience this problem. So I'm inclined to think there's a problem with the 3D Blu Ray disc that I have. That's an easy fix. But I was wondering if there's some special 3D video processing that might be happening on the PS3 or the TV that could slow down the video enough to where it's behind the audio. And if so, is there a setting or other fix to resolve the issue?

Set up:

Video: PS3 -> LG 55LM8600 (HDMI)
Audio: PS3 -> Panasonic Home Theater In a Box (analog RCA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
why are you using analog RCA to the HTIB it must have opt in. Buy a opt cable so you can at least get dolby dig 5.1 from the PS3.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

The HTIB does not have a digital input of any sort.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

I would use the HDMI audio straight to TV and forget the HTIB and see if that solves your delay problem. For the life of me I can't figure out why HTIB manufactures built these without a digital input (a lot of them did). If it has a digital 5.1 processor that can only be used for the internal DVD its useless for your cable box or Sat box they all have digital out and 5.1 audio. Even all TV's have digital out or thier tuners. Anlog RCA has been gone for 10 years or more They still make these without n HDMI input for your cablebox and they have lossless processors in them???

post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'll definitely try going straight HDMI from PS3 to the TV.

My HTIB is almost 10 years old. It's obviously older and almost anything made in the last couple of years would be better, but it does output decent audio (better than any TV's speakers, anyway).

It's just odd to me that the regular Blu Ray does not have this issue.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

After some experimenting, here's what I've found:

1) Straight HDMI to TV for both video and audio works. Everything coming out of the TV is synchronized. Can't say I'm surprised - if this didn't work, I wouldn't be the only one complaining.

2) Video HDMI to TV + Audio optical digital output suffers the same synchronization problem.

3) Straight HDMI to TV for both video and audio, passing audio back out of TV (TV has optical output) into digital-analog converter and then into HTIB (HTIB has only analog inputs). Aside from signal degradation, audio and video are synchronized correctly.

It seems to me there's a delay at the TV. If both audio and video are received by the TV, the delay affects both equally, resulting in a synchronized output. In the case of only video going into the TV and audio being handled separately, the delay at the TV causes the video to appear delayed. I've read that this model TV has input delay for games and such, but never would have thought it'd affect audio/video synchronization to this degree. I don't really want to replace the TV, so the only other option might be to retire the HTIB (which sucks anyway) and get something better. The immediate question I have is whether or not I should plan my receiver purchase around running the new receiver pre- or post-TV. Post-TV would guarantee that everything is synchronized, but I think pre-TV is the standard way.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

You also want to turn off all the video processing in the TV to see if that will help with the video delay. At least all new decent revievers have adjustable audio delay anyway but it is a pain because all sorces have a slightly different delay.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM

I'm having audio syncing issues with AVATAR 3D on PS3,the sound comes out i'd say a half second before the video does and i only have the sound coming from my tv...My tv is the TOSHIBA 42TL515U it and my PS3 is on the latest firmware..I tried with 24hz and video processing on & off but still same problem..It seems the disc forces FHD3D 1920x2205 and my tv doesn't process this correctly (just a guess)..Any help from someone that has better information about this is appreciated.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Video delay is pretty common, and even more common with 3D. Usually, we adjust some audio delay in our receivers to put the audio back in sync with the video. Check your receiver for something called lip sync or delay. If you find it, set it to 10 ms delay and go from there. You may have to adjust it by trial and error, but once correct it should stay correct for every 3D Blu Ray.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If the TV is playing the sound not through a receiver, and the same HDMI cable is sending both audio and video to the tv, then your best hope is to look for a game mode on your tv, and turn that on. Game mode usually turns off video processing that slows video output. Next best hope is to turn off any video processing enhancements you can in your tv menu. Frankly, any tv that displays video and audio out of sync should be considered defective.

But most of us don't use the tv speakers, so we never know.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If the tv is receiving audio and video through different cables, sometimes the source allows an adjustment on audio delay much as a receiver does. I'm not sure about the ps3, but look for that in the ps3 menu.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
I started having this problem with 3D blu-rays with the LG firmware update that added Trumotion to my LG 47LM6700. The delay is so slight that for quite some time I couldn't decide if it was my imagination. The delay happens even with Trumotion turned off, but that's definitely when it started happening. A 6ms delay at the receiver seems to have fixed it, but I wish I could roll back to earlier firmware on the TV, since Trumotion is a pretty weak feature anyway.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page