3D Over HDMI 1.2 Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apologize for the potentially dumb question, but new to the 3D game...didn't see this specific answer anywhere...

I have been running a 2D Panasonic PT-AE4000U in my theater for about 3 years and have an 8000U on pre-order right now. I'm looking forward to the picture quality upgrade and being able to watch 3D content. Projector (obviously) and Denon receiver are both HDMI 1.4 3D ready. My question is regarding the cable.

My HDMI cable is a 30 foot cable (ceiling conduit) I bought in late 2009 from a local cable store...I traded emails with the owner this weekend and he indicated the cable is likely HDMI 1.2 but he thinks it should work fine for 3D. His point is that the requirement of HDMI 1.4 for 3D lies in the components...but that the actual cables haven't changed much. He did indicate that ARC wouldn't work...but since I am just sending the video to my projector I don't need ARC. Has this been everyone's experience as well? We can send a 3D signal over HDMI 1.2 cables?

Just trying to plan ahead. If it won't work, I'd love to order a new cable ahead of time so it's here when the 8000U arrives.

Thanks all.

PSN: MiddKid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Cables aren't 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4....they're either standard or hi-speed. A short length standard may work with hi-speed applications such as 3D, but 30 feet isn't short. Try reading here for a start http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx#49

post #3 of 10 Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Don't I feel clueless! Thank you so much for that link. I'm betting when my local guy said "1.2 cable" he probably meant that I have a Standard cable. I'm going to look at the cable and see if any of the markings indicate one way or another. If it is standard, I think I'm due for an upgrade!

Thanks again!

post #4 of 10 Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...new development.

While there is just standard and high speed NOW, back when I bought the cable in 2009 they were not called that (standard vs high-speed came with 1.4...). I just checked the cable and it clearly says "HDMI 1.3" on it.

So this brings me back to my original question (updated from 1.2 to 1.3). Conceptually will a 3D signal pass over an HDMI 1.3 cable? Is there any technical reason (short of length) that it wouldn't?

Appreciate any thoughts...

Edit: just also realized after HDMI 1.3 it says Cat-2...which from what I read is High Speed...so, after all that, I should be good to go!

post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ22 View Post

Ok...new development.

While there is just standard and high speed NOW, back when I bought the cable in 2009 they were not called that (standard vs high-speed came with 1.4...). I just checked the cable and it clearly says "HDMI 1.3" on it.

So this brings me back to my original question (updated from 1.2 to 1.3). Conceptually will a 3D signal pass over an HDMI 1.3 cable? Is there any technical reason (short of length) that it wouldn't?

Appreciate any thoughts...

Edit: just also realized after HDMI 1.3 it says Cat-2...which from what I read is High Speed...so, after all that, I should be good to go!

Sounds like marketing people got their way. Cables still aren't 1.2, 1.3, etc...even when someone prints it on a cable.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
3D goes over HDMI 1.3 just fine, I do it all the time. I want to say all that 1.4 can do is pass a flag for the device to automatically determine the 3D format is over-under or top-bottom if those formats are used. On my set I just have to switch those modes manually. No big deal at all and 3D works fine.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
As said before - HDMI LLC. dropped the desgination of version numbers (v1.3 etc). when referring to cables. The fact that you need to manually select the 3D format for T/B or SBS has nothing to do with the cable you are using - both Standard Speed cable and High Speed Cable can pass the 3D flag. However for "frame compatible" T/B and SBS the flag is not required and many source devices - especially those that were already on the market before the 3D standards aka cable boxes and satellite receivers - do not add the flag.

What most people refer to, when stating a version number on cables is:
1.2 = standard speed - meets a minumum test performance - often exceeds that minumum by enough margin to handle Frame Packing 1080p 3D 24Hz.
1.3 = high speed - meets a minumum test performance - often exceeds that minumum - all high speed cables will handle Frame Packing 1080p 3D 24Hz and possibly most of the other 3D formats not intended for home conusmer use at this time.

Since both types are still sold, HDMI dropped the verison numbers.

The only new standards introduced in HDMI 1.4 for cables is the support of "eithernet" and that was added to both Standard Speed and High Speed and it is not required. It is a special insulation to the strands that handle eithernet signals to prevent interference. And the new automotive cable.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

What most people refer to, when stating a version number on cables is:
1.3 = high speed
And they are wrong. There are both standard and high speed HDMI cables with the 1.3 version number on them, just as there are standard and high speed HDMI cables proudced to the 1.4 specification but labeled without the version number. A certified high speed HDMI cable is capable of handling any signal possible under the current HDMI specification.
Quote:
Since both types are still sold, HDMI dropped the verison numbers.
The HDMI folks banished version numbers to prevent confusion among consumers who have been taught to think higher numbers are better. A standard HDMI cable is a standard HDMI cable, regardless of the version of the HDMI specification it was produced to. Likewise, a high speed HDMI cable is a high speed HDMI cable, regardless of the version of the HDMI specification it was produced to. So, today, HDMI cables may only be labeled standard or high speed.
Quote:
It is a special insulation to the strands that handle eithernet signals to prevent interference.
No.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 10
Okay - I know this is a discussion on the cable... but I have a Marantz sr7001 - with HDMI 1.2 = and my projector, circa 2006 has finally taken a dive and I'm looking to upgrade to a new one, which seems that all of them are on the HDMI 1.4 standard.

Should I bypass my receiver and run the video straight from the cable to the new Tv/projector since the receiver doesn't necessarily process the 1.4 standard?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Liked: 32
For 3D .... Yes!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page