Anyone know of a 3D media player that works with Mitsubishi 3D TV (with 3DA-1 adapter)??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 73" 3D Mitsubishi TV with the "3D Kit" attached which allows me to watch TV and Blu-ray 3D content. I recently purchased a Micca EP950 and a Xtreamer Prodigy media player . Both media players are not compatible with the stupid Mitsubishi 3d adapter (3DA-1). When connected through the adapter, the image appears dull, dark and washed out. When connected without the adapter, the image is perfect. Unfortunately, the 3D adapter needs to be connected in order to watch any kind of 3D content. Apparently, it is an RGB YCC issue.

I have been through 2 media players so far with NO LUCK at all. Both exhibit the same exact behavior when connected to the Mitsubishi adapter.

I also have an ASUS BDP-700 which works great with the TV but the unit is not capable of streaming ISO video, which makes it of very limited use to me.

Does anyone know of a 3D media player that actually works with the Mitsubishi adapter? Im about to throw both out the window!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I shure you could go the HTPC route as player software will output checkerboard eliminating the 3DA-1.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use PowerDVD with my PC or PS3 connected to the adaptor through my 3D AVR. You need the Mitsubishi adaptor and make sure the TV is set to Game if you have the older 73". The new ones have the adaptor built in.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I have a WD Live TV media player, and it works flawlessly with the 3DA-1 box on my Samsung set. I use it to watch s-b-s MKV files, and I have no complaints.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

That is true, I could go the HTPC route. Any recommendations?
post #6 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Nickles, What model do you have? Does it support 3D Blu ray ISO's?

NSX: I wondering if Im going to have to go the PC route in the end. I have the new 73" Model wd-73c10 running latest firmware so I think I can avoid the "game input" issue that you mentioned. I think they did fix it with new models, like you said.

If I decide to setup my PC as my home media center, is there any software out there that will act like my complete media library, to include my 3D ISO's?
post #7 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
There are a lot of great software media center players out there but none to my knowlage support full 3D iso's. I think you can pair them with a good 3Dplayer (power DVD, TMT5, ect). The great thing about a PC based player if something new comes out you can always change it at anytime. Total invesment will be much higher in the begining but your flexability will be greatly improved

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #8 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
WD Live TV does not support Blu-Ray ISO files. Here is a thread discussing this file type:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1298037/stream-3d-blu-ray-iso-to-player

Good luck!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been looking into some of the home theatre software out there (Arcsoft, XMBC) but I dont believe they currently support 3D BD-ISO. Without that, I might as well stick with the Micca EP950 or the Prodigy as those devices stream all of that content flawlessly.

I think I might be SOL on this one. At least until a device comes out that supports RGB color space AND/OR YCC.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you have the new 2012 73" you do not need the adaptor. When I got mt new 92" I made the mistake of running it through tha adaptor with negative resuts. Bypassing it cured the problem. You can't beat the DLPs for 3D without crosstalk.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

No luck. I have the 2010 (WD-73C10) 73" that requires this ridiculous adapter in order to convert the 3D format into "checkerboard." I'm assuming Mitsubishi dumped the checkerboard format with the new TV's which eliminated the need for the 3DA-1 adapter.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
No, all the DLP 3D Rear Projection TVs display 3D in the checkerboard format. The adatper converts a 3D signal that is not already checkerboard format to checkerboard. The new TVs simply do that function internally.

At the time your TV was made, the standards were just beginning and so it was hard for TV manufacturers to be ahead of the final standards and still be a moderatly priced TV. Mitsubishi had been designing 3D TVs to the checkerboard incomming signal since before the standards for signals were settled and your TV was the last of that series AND the least expensive. The fact that Mitsubsihi did make the adater is a good thing for Mitsubishi, Samsung did not make any adapter for their rear projection 3D TVs, they just left those customers without a solution.

All TVs display 3D in only one format that is best suited for the display technology used in the TV. However there are several different formats of 3D signals so all 3D TVs will convert those formats to the way the TV displays the 3D.

For LED LCD and Plasma TVs and most DLP front projection that use active shutter glasses, they display in Frame Sequential or Page Flipping. One full frame for Left eye followed by One full frame for Right eye.

For LED LCD that use Passive Glasses, the display in Line Interleave. Odd numbered lines are for left eye and even numbered lines are for right eye and both are shown at the same time.

For incomming signal the most common formats (BUT NOT THE ONLY FORMATS):
Frame Packing - one supersize frame that has a top / bottom of full resolution left eye over full resolution right eye.
Side-by-side Half - one normal sized frame that has half resolution left eye on the left and half resolution right eye on the right.
Top/bottom Half - one normal sized frame that has half resolution left eye over half resolution right eye.

As you can see none of these most common signal format are the same as the display formats so each of the 3D TVs must convert the signals to the display format.

There are some signal formats that convert better than others.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed explanation as it does add proper context. I guess my problem isnt with the checkerboard format that seemingly works best with the Mitsubishi rear projection TV's, is the fact that the adapter cannot properly handle YCC color space feeds. I know that most devices allow for manual or automatic adjustment of your preferred color space format but you would think that considering YCC was not a "new" color space development in 2010, they would have designed the adapter to handle both formats.

I wonder if the new Mitsubishi's, with built in 3D decoding capability, can accept YCC as well as RGB color space format.
My guess is yes. What do you think?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page